Random question!

Options
2»

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I started out not counting, just getting up and walking more and lost 20 pounds. Then stopped losing and ended up finding this fine establishment. I got overweight because I was eating too much and not moving at all, so just moving more was enough to get started but not enough to continue successfully.

It's been a year now and I don't always weigh everything anymore, like the milk in my coffee or if I add lettuce and tomato to a burger, but I still put it in my diary with an estimate, and still actually weigh the burger and bun, and things that tend to be very calorie dense. Maybe one day I will be able to eyeball it but at my height and age, in order to get to my ideal weight, I have to be accurate.

What's doable for someone may not be for someone else, so if not counting and tracking works for you, that's awesome. I can hope it might work for me one day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    When I was 18, I was 190 pounds which was my highest weight ever. I went from 190 to 119 just by cutting out soda and fast food while being more active. It took around a year and a half to lose the weight. I fluctuated between 111 and 130 for a few years and sporadically used MFP, Calorie King, and Spark People. I think MFP is the best of the bunch though and I came back here in June at 139 pounds and now I'm 110 pounds.

What I love about counting calories and using a food scale is that the first time around when I lost weight I was restricting more than I needed to. Some days I was really hungry and some days I wasn't. There were many days where I could have eaten a lot more and I know that now thanks to MFP. Yes, I lost the weight, but it's so much better to know I don't have to eat nothing but grilled chicken and salad to get there. I like the mathematics of it all and I don't see it as a burden at all. I've learned so many things about my body from approaching weight loss this way.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    That is the basis of the Mediterranean Diet. However, if I don't count, I don't lose. I eat healthy, but counting gives me a framework. I actually enjoy it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Random question cause I cannot be the only one under this mindset. Has anyone lost weight without counting calories? My plan for losing weight is to exercise daily for an hour a day, minimum. And to watch what I eat in terms of making healthier choices, but not to the point of counting calories and forcing myself to stick to an under 1200 calorie limit. To me, that is just not realistic for me and is not a sustainable way of living in the long term. Is this doable or am I simply fooling myself?

I think you are fooling yourself. I've done that myself.
    I have lost weight in the past without counting calories. It was more difficult and not as consistant. I didn't feel as confident about eating a variety of foods. I always gained the weight back. Lots of frustration and negativity. I also had the idea I would exercise for an hour a day at least so would be okay not counting calories and would give up. That wasn't realistic or sustainable level of exercise for me. Starting with 30 minutes a day was something I could stick with long term.

MFP doesn't give anyone less than 1200 calories for a goal. That is the minimum.
    If you set a reasonable goal of 1 lb a week and are active you will probably get a lot more calories for your goal. You are supposed to eat the calories you earn from exercise with MFP.
    Logging food really isn't that bad. I've found I kind of like it actually.
    I'd say give logging with MFP a try for at least a month before deciding you can't use it.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would suggest setting a caloric limit so high you won't possible meet it. At the very least, you should weigh your food and know exactly how many calories you're eating and what nutrients you're getting. You don't have to set a caloric limit. Just know what you're eating. It will be a lot harder to lose weight without the caloric limit, but it's possible. I think it will ultimately be a process of trial and error for you if you don't count calories, and that just delays the weight loss.
  • luciroo
    luciroo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is not the calorie counting per se, but the 1200 calories, which I do agree is not sustainable for the average person. At your current weight, you could eat at least 1800 and still lose. I am 51 years old, my 5'5", and my starting weight was 140. I am down to 135 after about 6 weeks, and my limit is set at 1700 - a few days I have eaten more, some days less, just depends on how hungry I am and what I eat and how much I have worked out (I don't eat back my calories though - I mostly weight lift, and can't find an accurate # for burn). Drives me crazy that on MFP it seems 1200 is the number of calories to eat. I would starve and wouldn't be able to sustain that. I think such a low calorie amount is what causes so many diets to fail. So why not try to keep track so you don't overeat?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Many, many people lose weight without counting a single calorie. For myself however, I'm hopeless at guesstimating ,, and without my food scale I would either maintain, possibly gain or lose at an excruciatingly slow pace.
    I want this weight loss thing over and done with ASAP, so that means weighing and logging every single calorie. It's not a pain in the butt for me, I quite enjoy it, and i like the structure,numbers and data right there in front of me. Plus I pre log my day every morning which takes but a few minutes.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP,

One of my friends keeps his weight perfect without counting a single calorie. He's simply a very disciplined person. His method is simple. He eats sensibly, enjoys steaks, wines regularly, whatever he likes. He weighs himself daily and when he sees it up he just reduces the portions until the weight drops to the right number again. Simple.