Anyone over 30, work from home trying to lose weight?

Options
Hi, I am a writer and work 12 plus hours everyday, this means I am sitting in front of a laptop all day. It is so hard to stick to diet and lose weight with this job. I want to meet fellow work from home people and get motivated by them. Please add me if you have the same problem as me.

Replies

• xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Not anymore, but 4 years ago I was 329 lbs and working a 60 hour week from home (Technical Writer for a software development company). And I have 4 kids, the youngest at the time were 3 year old twins. I put an exercise bike in the living area and used it each morning before starting work, and then I went for a walk each evening. Once I'd lost a bit I used to go to the gym in the evening rather than go for a walk.

It comes down to how much you want it really.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    yep, that's me, and night shift.
    sometimes, i feel like i need to eat just to stay awake and work.

what I found has helped is getting my TDEE up through exercise. I try to burn 300-400 calories 5 days a week on average. That allows me to eat a bit more as well as allowing for those times when I'm just completely exhausted and consume 2K calories just to try to stay awake and focused.

The other thing that's helped is limiting my time of eating, so I've assigned myself a certain amount of calories for my shift (600), and really try to stick to it. That leaves me with a good amount left to eat dinner with the family.

Feel free to add me if you, though I'm not that interactive.
  • Rockthatbodyat35
    Rockthatbodyat35 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, night shifts are the worst and reason for my downfall
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You may not have enough time to work out, like many people, but nobody is too busy to eat less. What I tell everybody who has a problem with overeating: Don't keep junk food in the house. Most people eat for "fun" rather than because they're actually hungry. So when they're munching all day, it's on stuff like cookies and chips and pizza. If you don't keep that stuff in your house to begin with, and only keep healthy foods there, you won't be tempted to eat so much out of boredom/habit. You'll tend to typically eat only when you're actually hungry.
  • Rockthatbodyat35
    Rockthatbodyat35 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You are right. I changed my fridge.There is no junk food. Even no Cheese. Its just seasonal fruits and lean protein.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Me, too! It's hard to get those steps in when the commute is from the bedroom to the desk, with changing out of pajamas optional. And when I'm working on a proofread, it's really really really hard not to reach for snacky things all day long.

What I learned is that I have to make time for me, before I can make time for my clients and my own manuscripts. I have to prep good food, go for my walk or to the pool, and do it before I sit down in front of my computer. THEN, I make sure that i work 8 hours only. A corporation doesn't expect you to work 12 hours a day, why would you expect it of yourself? (Sometimes, I'll work 8 hours for a client, then take a break, and sometimes find myself writing late into the night on my own work.)

The two biggest tricks I've learned:
    Keep ice in my glass of water. Sucking on ice reduces the oral need to munch on goodies.
    Popcorn is low-cal, and if you aren't watching carbs, you can get quite a bit of satisfaction out of a couple cups of hot popcorn.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, night shifts are the worst and reason for my downfall

I work nights too, at home, and usually sleep in the late mornings/afternoons. Add me if you want.

Uh, gently, it's not the time of day that changes what you eat. The same rules always apply.
  • wobchunk
    wobchunk Posts: 47 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes I run my own business from home and I also homeschool all 6 of my kids at the same time while dear hubby works.

I get to jump on my exercise bike, Zumba in the wii, swing some kettle bells and do a lot of walking as a family going to the park and that kind of thing.

I have also got everyone to eat more fruits and veg, drink loads of water and also to think about what we are eating and what jobs the food we are eating does for us.

With the support from my kids and husband it makes it easier.

Hope that helps, all the best x
  • smile2368
    smile2368 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I'm relaxing and not working, it helps to clear the coffee table in front of the TV off. I didn't realize before how easily I would snack if sitting on the couch looking at the foods left out.

If I snack now, I put it in little dipping bowls so that I decide ahead of time how much food is enough. Recent snacks have been 1 T craisins or 2 T chocolate chips while working at the computer. Dried coconut is way too good to keep in the house but pretty healthy.

Vanilla greek yogurt (110 cal) with 1 T pure maple syrup or Steen's syrup fills me up.

The Flexitarian Diet is ranked the third easiest to follow. I bought the book used on Amazon/Ebay and am learning.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I work from home on a per project basis, so sometimes I have a lot of free time other times I spend 20 or so hours a day working. My job needs some creative thinking, so every hour or so I go out and walk around the garden for 5-8 minutes while brainstorming until I'm happy with the outcome in my head. By the time the day is over I have 10-12k steps and 400-600 calories under my belt without even doing any deliberate exercise. I do, however, make time for exercise 3 times a week, mainly running because I enjoy it and it has a nice calorie/minute burn. Nothing extreme. My long runs are 30 minutes.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I work from home, I am a self employed artist so I spend a lot of time sitting down drawing. I do running 3 times a week and kettlebell workouts 3 or 4 times a week. I'm halfway through loosing the weight I want to loose.
  • CareyAnne5
    CareyAnne5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started working from home last week and just rejoined MFP. I have lost about 7 pounds since the first if the year. When my husband (lovingly and out of fear; we are both working on healthier living and weightloss) predicted a major weight gain with my new job,I decided to not let that happen. I am a student, virtual teacher, and a mom of an amazing 4 year old whom I hope to hang around for. I have about 100 pounds to lose. Let's do this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ii work from home as a writer/consultant. All computer work. I work out at my fitness studio first thing several days. I have elliptical, Dumbbells, TRX at home. Lots of walks. Leslie Sansone walk at home. She even has done 3-5 min routines on you tube. You have to be very intentional about getting enough activity. A Fitbit helps keep me on target. 134 lbs lost in 21 months. 18 to goal.
  • jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't work from home but I have 2 jobs and work 7 days a week while in school. I'm a Data Analyst so I sit most of the day unless I have a meeting, but that's just another place to sit...with other people.
  • Yurie222
    Yurie222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't work from home either but has been trying to walk to station everyday.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I work at home, almost 7 years, and since January I've lost 13lb, with me not being that consistent with exercise, mainly just doing CICO. That's where it is. I drink Lipton green and peach teas now instead of soda/coffee, do a high protein shake for breakfast, protein for lunch and a large dinner.
  • writeranna
    writeranna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm an author and I work all day at the house. When my muse is really creative, I want to snack to keep the juices flowing. I've found that making a pot of flavored tea, like mint chocolate chip, which only has 5 calories per cup, has helped me feel satisfied. Also, take a break every two hours and lift weights or do crunches or jumping jacks. Maybe you don't have a chunk of time to exercise, but you have small pieces of time you could use that add up.

Also, if I get on MyFitness Pal first thing in the morning and map out what I'm going to eat all day, I stick to it much better than putting different meals together throughout the day when I'm already hungry.

Hope that helps!
  • chubbyswagger
    chubbyswagger Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me. I work from home as a researcher and have found doing intermittent fasting helps me (I only eat between 12pm and 8pm). If I'm hungry in the mornings, I clean. haha. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm keeping my body active and moving my mind to concentrate on something else. I've established a cleaning routine mornings now that keeps me busy.
    Mon: Laundry day
    Tuesday: Clean kitchen & living room
    Wednesday: Bedroom
    Thursday: Office & Bathrooms
    Friday: Vacuum & mop floors
  • lexykassan
    lexykassan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also working from home as a Data Scientist. When not here, I'm traveling to clients (somehow even worse given the amount of restaurant food I consume). The most difficult things for me with this setup are avoiding the ever-available kitchen, getting up from my desk and moving around, and reaching for healthier options when hungry.

To counter these, I tend to stay in my office area and put fruit on the pass-through between the kitchen and where my desk is. That way, if I want a snack, I have something healthy literally within arm's reach of my chair. I also built a treadmill desk (IKEA, FTW) and use that about 2-3 times per week. I'm working on getting that up to all five days of my work week.

Would love to hear from other WAH-ers on top challenges and how you face them. Please feel free to add me.
  • CareyAnne55
    CareyAnne55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm baaaack... again! I was CareyAnne5 (see above) but then I don't know what happened. Now I'm CareyAnne55! LOL