FitBit - pros & cons

Options
Been thinking about getting one, but not really sure what the point would be. Anyone here care to list pro's & con's?

I get the feeling there more for the cardio scene than anything else...

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I think it depends what you want it for. I use mine to correct my activity level here predominantly so that I'm eating at the proper deficit. I'm set to sedentary and it'll give me extra calories when I've slipped into lightly or highly active. It's given me an incentive to move more, to be more mindful when I've been unintentionally lazy and the challenges with friends can be fun. It is a round the clock activity tracker really though. I started with a One and now have the Charge HR. The Charge is giving me too many calories to eat back I feel so unless you need the HR facility I'd recommend the clip on devices which are cheaper.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They are not exactly for cardio. Unless your cardio consists of walking/running and you are trying to work on your cadence. They are more for gauging your daily non-exercise activity and to motivate you to move more. Understanding your average daily activity in conjunction with accurately calculated food intake can help you calculate your true maintenance for calorie eat-back purposes.

I used a few months of data accurately logging my food, accurately recording the calories burned my fitbit gave me and accurately weighing myself every day to establish a weight trend to arrive at my true maintenance and personal accurately predictive weight loss formula. Basically, it's a nice toy for those who want to be motivated and those who like to play with numbers and charts.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like my Fitbit. It doesn't affect how much training I do (like running or going to the gym, I would do those things anyway) but encourages me not to be lazy on rest days, and not to lounge around watching Netflix for hours on end. Its calorie estimates have been pretty accurate for me.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I got my Charge HR for Xmas and I love it. With the free app, I can geek-out on sleeping matrix. Try to see patterns in what I've eaten, had to drink, and how late I did those things compared to my sleep habits. I also like to see my heart rate pattern during and after workouts.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR, it helps to DEmotivate myself during cardio, as I have a tendency to push it so much that my HR can get higher than is safe for an overweight person...also to watch as I lose weight and get more fit my resting heart rate goes down.

I do use it during cardio, it gives me a lower calorie burn than just punching the numbers into MFP, and I still eat back only partial of those, instead of partial of what MFP tells me.

It does monitor my daily activity, if any, I kind of ignore that unless it was something particular I was doing that day, like traipsing around theme parks or doing heavy yard work, thats outside my norm, then it helps me make wiser fueling decisions, just having it recorded on its own and deciding what to eat.

And sleep, sleep is so important and I rarely get enough. After 3 nights 5-6 hours and one sad night at the pet emergency I was feeling fat, swollen, exhausted and it reflects on the scale. I finally was able to obtain some real recovery sleep at 9 hours last night, thanks to fitbit tracking it for me, and woke up 3 pounds lighter and at a new low. Stressful nights I might be 8 hours in bed, but my fitbit tells the story of only 5 hours in sleep and 14 -19 times restless. Monitoring my sleep also keeps me from overdoing it, or at least feeling justified in taking rest for me, something women like me always struggle with because of all the demands on us. For me its like I prescribe sleep for myself.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR, it helps to DEmotivate myself during cardio, as I have a tendency to push it so much that my HR can get higher than is safe for an overweight person...also to watch as I lose weight and get more fit my resting heart rate goes down.

I do use it during cardio, it gives me a lower calorie burn than just punching the numbers into MFP, and I still eat back only partial of those, instead of partial of what MFP tells me.

It does monitor my daily activity, if any, I kind of ignore that unless it was something particular I was doing that day, like traipsing around theme parks or doing heavy yard work, thats outside my norm, then it helps me make wiser fueling decisions, just having it recorded on its own and deciding what to eat.

And sleep, sleep is so important and I rarely get enough. After 3 nights 5-6 hours and one sad night at the pet emergency I was feeling fat, swollen, exhausted and it reflects on the scale. I finally was able to obtain some real recovery sleep at 9 hours last night, thanks to fitbit tracking it for me, and woke up 3 pounds lighter and at a new low. Stressful nights I might be 8 hours in bed, but my fitbit tells the story of only 5 hours in sleep and 14 -19 times restless. Monitoring my sleep also keeps me from overdoing it, or at least feeling justified in taking rest for me, something women like me always struggle with because of all the demands on us. For me its like I prescribe sleep for myself.

This, me too...I've found the sleep feature to be my favorite feature, and it's changed the quality of my days completely, not to mention helped me to get moving my body more, all day long! Not for everyone, but I'd never go without mine again.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively ambivalent about the value of step tracking, and I'd say that always-on HR tracking really is without any real value to most people. Awareness of Resting Heart Rate is the only point that's useful from them.

Mine does give me some more awareness of my basic activity level, but I'm not a slave to it as so many on here seem to be. It gives me a daily goal, and if I hit it, then I hit it. If I don't then I'm not going to go out of my way to make up steps. It's a piece of information about my activity, and little more.

Days I go for a moderate training run I'll blow my daily goal very quickly, on days I use my turbo or rowing machine I still get my training in, but may not hit my step goal.

I wouldn't say it's been a waste of money, but there are many other training tools that I'd prioritise.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goals are, what kind of stuff you like doing, if you're someone who likes stats and also what type of Fitbit you're after.

There was a time in my life when I was hugely active and needed virtually professional data to support my training (long distance triathlons). If I was still into that kind of thing I would probably invest in a multi-sport Garmin, not an activity tracker.

However, I also know what it's like being virtually sedentary for 3 years and trying to return to fitness in an unpressured and fun way, and Fitbits can do that. My old Flex got me off the sofa, "compete" gently with some friends in going on longer dog walks and such stuff. I started to enjoy the information, going further etc. There were also other helpful aspects, for instance the sleep function and ensuring I was getting 8 hours a night etc, which had a huge impact on my wellbeing at the time.

I recently upgraded to a Blaze, as it can accommodate my running, cycling and gym stuff -- but it's not as "full on" as a multi-sport Garmin would be (I'm not really that serious anymore).

So it kind of depends.
  • Markjames82
    Markjames82 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Cheers for all the comments folks, looks like I need to further my research :)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit as a step counter with connectivity. I don't need a HRM or sleep tracking or any of that, but I did want the app and website, so I got a Zip and I love it. It's better at estimating what I've burned than MFP, so I can eat exercise calories without worrying about accuracy. After starting to walk way more I've gotten into running, and at least a small percentage of that comes from the Fitbit since I now know exactly how much I really move a day and want to do more.

Also, the point for me isn't necessarily getting all of the steps in. Getting the steps is how I burn enough calories to eat enough that I'm not ravenous but still able to have a 1k calorie deficit. I do my best to hit the step goal every day, not because it's some arbitrary number I'm a slave to, but because by getting 10k steps I burn enough throughout the day to eat way more than the 1200 MFP gives me. Of course I can walk and run without a Fitbit and log it, but it's not nearly as accurate as it is with the Fitbit, and it makes it so much easier.

TLDR; It's accurate. It's motivating (for me, at least). It makes it much easier to estimate your daily calorie goals.

Cons: The clip/case of the Zip gets hard to put on after a while. I've had it for over a year, maybe close to two, so maybe it's just time for a new one (case, not Zip. Zip's still going strong). The cover for the battery is hard to get off, but on the other hand there's no charging to worry about. MFP and Fitbit don't seem to agree on calories any more. MFP always gives me way too many, even though they're linked. I've taken to ignoring my calorie goal on MFP since I already know how much I can eat as long as I hit my step goal.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded from the Charge HR to the Blaze and I love it!

Pros: Blaze looks really nice (all of the others look cheap and like plastic IMO), gives me motivation to go my daily walk/jog, the social aspect of the challenges keeps me competing against my friends, I can control my music when I do C25K without pulling my phone off of my arm, the silent alarms help wake me up in the morning and don't give me a heart attack like normal alarms, constant monitoring of my heart rate (my resting heart rate is really high and I have to be careful when I exercise).

Cons: they aren't cheap (Blaze was $200), it's not 100% accurate (but then again, what is?),
  • Foxsu
    Foxsu Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love my Charge HR. I just dropped from another food diary and joined MFP so it would automatically sync with my food diary. I love the challenge option in the fitbit and it helps motivate me. I also like the HR option and the sleep function. Those are both important to me as a tool for a healthy lifestyle.