Unpleasant lungs/throat running in cold weather

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
Anyone has a workable solution for running in cold weather? If I do my lungs and throat feel really rough and hurt for hours afterwards. I can only breathe through my mouth as I don't get enough air through my nose, so I guess that's the issue. Always had problems with very cold sensitive breathing organs, also as a child. Waiting for summer is not really the best solution as I also had this issue when I was running at about 16C last summer. I'm fine with temperatures between 30-42C though ;)

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I wear a running skin with a built in face protector that you can pull up over your nose.

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-merrell-mea-silken-fleece-balaclava-black-p_id339963

Like this one.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, and it doesn't even have to be super cold. It was 40-50F ish and I ran 1 mile and was dying for hours later compared to when it is warm I may be tired, but I don't have breathing problems.

According to this article by a doctor - http://fleetfeetcolumbus.com/training/mit-articles/got-a-burning-in-your-lungs-how-to-breath-in-the-cold-weather - we need to take deeper breaths and drink more.

But, a face mask would help also, as you'll trap the humidity and breath it back in.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    A face mask or scarf over mouth and nose help to capture the humidity from your breath and to prewarm the air. Make sure that whatever you use to cover your mouth has a loose enough weave that you can breath thru it while running. I have a balaclava that works fine for hiking and winter camping,but the first time I used it running it was like breathing thru a straw.

Also frequent sips of water to keep your mouth and throat from drying out. To keep from loading up on too much water most of these sips should only be enough to roll around your mouth and wet the back of your throat when you swallow.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Minpinhead wrote: »
    Bumping this thread in hopes of more answers... I have found that running in the cold leaves me with a burning feeling in my lungs after awhile and at night I seem to have a tickle cough that has kept me up! :/

There is such a thing as cold induced asthma, have you asked a doctor about it?
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I just put up with it.
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    A face mask or scarf over mouth and nose help to capture the humidity from your breath and to prewarm the air. Make sure that whatever you use to cover your mouth has a loose enough weave that you can breath thru it while running. I have a balaclava that works fine for hiking and winter camping,but the first time I used it running it was like breathing thru a straw.

Also frequent sips of water to keep your mouth and throat from drying out. To keep from loading up on too much water most of these sips should only be enough to roll around your mouth and wet the back of your throat when you swallow.

That is the answer, to pre-warm, filter and humidify the air...that is what breathing through your nose does!
    Some people cannot breathe entirely through their noses due to nasal polyps, past fractures or whatever impeding the airway. Fine for sedentary breathing but not enough airflow is managed for running.

Warming the air is important. The pain and "raspy" feeling is the beginnings of acute inflammation of the trachea and bronchi. If it is sustained then you develop bronchitis which in turn, if you are very unlucky, to pneumonia. This is a worse case scenario obviously but the fact that you get coughing is a warning sign.
    I got bronchitis by running around in the very cold and it was not an experience I would like to repeat.
    I've also been to places where temperature can drop to -50 and you don't even step outside for a stroll without having something handy like a bandana to breath through!
    How about getting something like a Buff that you can roll up or down as needed. The merino wool version is good for moisture wicking. I think they are great little pieces of kit.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I like it best when it is minus 20 or 30. It just feels so fresh.
  • yirara
    Options
    I kind of got used to it now. Well... when the air is really dry and coldish (not that it goes below freezing here), or I run too fast doing intervals or trying to get a new personal record I end up coughing once I'm back home. It's ok while running but once I'm inside I might end up coughing for a few hours. Oh well... can't help it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    treadmill

I can't do it because of an asthmatic response to the cold
  • yirara
    Options
    An option for some but not for me. I would get bored out of my pants there. Plus I don't have a gym to go to in my home town/large village...