What are your biggest tips?!

Options
To stop habit/boredom eating?
To change your eating habits?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meal plan, eat regular meals and stop snacking, cook as often as possible, keep a well stocked pantry. Get rid of or reduce exposure to tempting junk food and reserve treats for special occasons, instead eat appropriate amounts of a variety of tasty healthy food every day. Eat with family or friends whenever possible, and focus on the food and the company, turn off the TV. Shop smart, write shopping lists based on meal plan, focus on list when shopping.

Get enough quality sleep, avoid unnecessary stressors, plan for "me-time", have fun and get moving every day.
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    boredom eating: i suggest you schedule your day to keep actively engaged, plan meals (and snacks) ahead of time and eat at the table, drink more water at every meal, and exercise.
    changing your eating habits starts with perspective, making food significant rather than freely expendable. prepare your own food using whole, fresh, ingredients- make your plate colorful. less about eating, and more about play and aesthetics. find out where each specific food comes from and empower yourself to make informed decisions with your purchases. rather than focusing on subtracting "unhealthy" food from your diet, direct energy towards adding more nutrient-rich choices (make it a goal to add leafy plants to every meal, try a new weird vegetable when you go to the grocery store or farmer's market, learn how to sprout your own lentils, invest in a blender and add some soups and smoothies to your diet, etc.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Plan...plan your meals, plan your snacks...pre-log your plan...stick to the plan.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're eating from habit or boredom, get a hobby that involves your brain and your hands. I crochet, read, play video games, paint. Stuff like that will take your mind off food and keep your hands from reaching for the chips.

If you just want to crunch on something, crushed ice is great. Sometimes you just need to chomp, lol.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Plan...plan your meals, plan your snacks...pre-log your plan...stick to the plan.

Planning meals works really well for me. I plan at least a day in advance and I don't have to stand in front of the fridge or cabinet looking through all the food because I know what's for breakfast. I just get it and go.

The very best tip I can give you is to believe in yourself. You absolutely CAN do this. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Meal plan definitely helps. I plan my meals days in advance.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    When I was eating healthier, what helped me was easing into those habits. Going cold turkey set me up for failure. Slowly substituting the good for the bad was the way to go for me! Good luck!!
  • chloedanielle03
    chloedanielle03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've found drinking lots of water, cutting down on salt and drinking green tea helps :smiley:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My tip is to read all the sticky posts at the top of each MFP forum. These threads provide the best info & tips on the site!