Any other diabetics out there?

Options
Hey there, type one here. Trying to stay healthy but with the troubles of diabetes holding me back. Anyone else out there?

Replies

• cdebracy
    cdebracy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have had Type II for about 10 years. With ~40 lbs lost I've been able to lower my Metformin from 1000mg 2x a day to 850mg.

I'm happy to offer whatever advice I can.
  • alphacz
    alphacz Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Type I for ~24 years now. In pretty good control via pump and Humalog. I'd highly recommend you check out "The Diabetic Athlete" (http://www.amazon.com/Diabetic-Athletes-Handbook-Sheri-Colberg/dp/0736074937) as a starting point. The other thing I'd recommend would be to exercise when you don't have any active insulin in you. I'd suggest the morning before any boluses or long acting insulin if you can do it. Carry food with you when exercising, and test every 1/2 hour or so (at least initially). Don't ever leave home without your meter and fast-acting carbs! Other than that, yeah, it is a giant PITA. But exercise can still be a lot of fun too. I've run several trail ultras and marathons in addition to lifting a lot. You just need to experiment (conservatively) and find out what works for you.

-Chris
  • Jack_NYC
    Jack_NYC Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    T2D - I watch my carbs--55 grams max per meal.