Fatty foods

Options
I'm finding it difficult to stay away from fatty foods. Any suggestions for high protein, low carb, low fat foods that taste great?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for you and we crave it because we need it. Don't try to eat low fat, low carb, high protein. A balance of macronutrients will help you make better food choices and your food taste great. Eat a variety of food from every food group, let most of your food be made (preferably home cooked) from real, single food ingredients, and macros won't be a big deal.

Start with the an appropriate calorie goal,
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
    Never eat below your estimated BMR. Your deficit should come from your TDEE.

Set your protein and fat goals to .5 grams per pound of your bodyweight at goal weight (healthy BMI) and regard these as minimums. Then fill up with carbs. Eat food you like and enjoy your food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • SMA1986
    SMA1986 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree. No reason to stay away from the fat. I started 11 weeks ago and lost close to 30 pounds without cutting out fat. I have held back on carbs, mostly because they make me fell icky but it's no where a low carb diet at all. I just get carbs from healthier nutrient dense foods now.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it difficult to stay away from fatty foods. Any suggestions for high protein, low carb, low fat foods that taste great?
    Protein and fat are essential. Eat eggs, cheese, nuts, meat, oil.
    If you want to reduce carbs, reduce bread, fruit, cereal, pasta.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To cut calories reducing fat AND carbs can be a good idea, depending on how much fat one is eating. Sure, fat is needed, but high levels of fat are not, and sat fat really isn't (although it's in lots of tasty foods, so I personally haven't cut it out).

But reducing fat and carbs doesn't mean eating only high protein, low carb and fat foods.

What I did when cutting calories was look at where my excessive calories were coming from. Cutting down on sweet treats (if you eat them) often cut both fat and carbs. If you eat higher fat meats switching to some leaner proteins can help (I don't recommend eating only super low fat proteins, but some people seem to eat mostly really high fat options). I found it easy to reduce things like rice and bread (I don't really care about either) and to watch serving size of pasta and potatoes (and I eat my potatoes roasted with only a bit of olive oil). A big thing for me was cutting down on the amount of oil or butter I added to things and using more limited amounts of cheese.

I found that I could make these changes and maybe increase the amount of vegetables I ate and end up with lower calories but meals no less satisfying or filling.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I empathise. Don't be too hard on yourself. Occasional treats should be encouraged. Afterall, it's a lifestyle you have to maintain.

My favourite high protein low fat low carb snacks:

1. Fage non-fat yoghurt 170g 97 kcal
    2. Nairn's oatcake with non-fat cottage cheese and smoked salmon 74 kcal

ys1dpm8pbop8.jpeg
    tsjg3aywmte3.jpeg
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Are you specifically trying to eat low carb? Something like Keto focuses on eating protein. Keep carbs pretty low, under 50 grams usually. Then you eat fat as needed to feel full, within a caloric goal.

Fat makes you feel full and satisfied. Cutting it out doesn't help weight loss. It hinders it.