Canned tuna

Options

Replies

• kwohl
    kwohl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The best canned tuna is Costco's Kirkland Signature White Albacore. They get the first pick of the fish before Bumble Bee tuna at the same distributor....my dad used to lease space to Costco so we got the secret information, so I will only buy that tuna now, call me a tuna snob but it's so good! I usually do an arugula salad with tuna in it and olives and light lemon dressing....simple and you can add whatever you want to it....love tuna!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Get a good canned tuna in oil and add it to a nicoise salad!
  • Chriss1060
    Chriss1060 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like to add mayo but don't like the added fat so I add 1 tablespoon of mayo and then some plain lowfat yogurt which gives the nice creaminess without all the fat. I actually eat it for breakfast on rice cakes because I run out of good protein sources for breakfast. If I eat it for lunch then I add some dill pickle relish.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    kwohl wrote: »
    The best canned tuna is Costco's Kirkland Signature White Albacore. They get the first pick of the fish before Bumble Bee tuna at the same distributor...

Awwwesome this is actually exactly what I bought. Thanks!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    They make some veggie mayo that is similar in texture. I personally stick to my Hellman's mayo within a particular portion. Tuna and mayo with a little salt and pepper makes the PERFECT tuna sandwich. Yum!
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    tuna melts are good, i also will eat it on a salad by mixing a little dijon mustard and a bit of plain yogurt, sometimes with a dab of honey depending on how i'm eating it. it tastes great that way too, especially mixed with a bit of onion and dill.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Get a good canned tuna in oil and add it to a nicoise salad!

This! I forgot about nicoise salads. Delicious!
  • Fantasypugs
    Fantasypugs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with non fat greek yogurt and maybe a tad of onion or relish. Great in a salad or a sandwich.
  • iegarcia03
    iegarcia03 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I buy vegan mayonnaise and organic mixed vegetables. I'll mix them with my tuna and make a sandwich with it
  • jenndiddy
    jenndiddy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is my favourite addition, along with any veggie laying around - shred it in. With 2 pieces of Luigi WW bread (120 cals) lunch is about 260 cals
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use dried dill, lemon juice. Or... A scoop of Mexican salsa. I wrap my tuna in lettuce leaves, Or on a plain rice cake. Or mixed up wth steamed veggies. Also, Ranch salad dressing is Amazing instead of mayo.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I wrap my tuna in lettuce leaves

like a lettuce wrap type of thing? Because thats something I didnt even think of and I love lettuce wraps. Thanks!
  • bmb42
    bmb42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt or caesar dressing.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    I just bought canned tuna for the first time, never really eaten the stuff before and im looking for some good ways to incorporate it into my food :) boyfriend says to eat it with mayo but id rather not. How do you guys eat it?

Hi
    Personal opinion, Solid White water pack. Lite Mayo & No Sugar Added Relish @ 0 calories, I use the Mt. Olive brand of that item. I also like their No Sugar Added Sweet Gherkins to go alongside Sandwiches or the Vlassic No Sugar Added Bread & Butter Spears.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to eat canned tuna for lunch all the time, but could never get used to the one in water, I prefer canned in oil, well drained. I used to eat it plain or with avocado - that's pretty good!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My go to here lately when I want to eat canned tuna has been a play on a Italian style salad. I use this as a pre or post workout meal due to the carb count.

Canned tuna -usually the whole can
    Rice - about 150-200 grams and whatever style you like (brown, basmati, long grain, etc..)
    Cannellini Beans (or white beans) -.5 cup, so 130 grams
    Tomatoes - about 75-100g to taste
    Italian Dressing - about 30g...will use full fat if I need the fat or Bolt Farms variety if want low fat, low calorie
    Various Italian spices, herbs, red pepper flake, etc... to taste.

Mix well, let sit for a bit for better taste. Can be eaten cold or hot. And of course, this can be scaled back to accommodate caloric needs and/or food volume.
  • user0819
    user0819 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you don't like mayo, try a little bit of olive oil and tons of rice vinegar and hot sauce.
    Makes it super flavourful and few additional calories!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like it mixed with cottage cheese or a creamy cheese like laughing cow or brie, etc. I add various chopped veg in it depending on what I have. I absolutely love it with chopped fresh hot or sweet peppers. Some pickle chopped or a relish. A little onion, celery (I can't have raw celery anymore but it is tasty in tuna). Chopped fresh cucumber is good too.

A little mustard is good too especially when adding peppers to it.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    put it on top of salad, on top of crackers, make any of the bazillion versions of tuna-salad, on top of cucumbers, mix into egg salad, on bread with cheese (grill for a tuna melt), add to pasta.... everything - add it to everything :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Mix Sirachi in it, add a bit of cumin too.