Sigh. Stressful work days are killing me

Options
When I work weekends(horible ) and there is good food at home I just go nuts . It ruins my day. I keep telling myself I need to stop stress eating, but it takes me hours to snap out of the funk!

Replies

• Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you have to have those good foods at home or do you have to have as much as you do now? Would it be possible to swap them to something equally as nice? For me it was swapping chocolate to home made smoothies, which are equally nice tasting to me. Something like that could work for you, you just need to find your thing. Could you buy smaller portions of food? If it is cooked food, can you freeze leftovers? How about eating one portion of food and then lots of water on top of it so you will feel full enough? That helped me as well with trying to take extra food when I just didn't feel like eating anymore because of drinking extra 5 dl of water on top of food.

What kind of food is it that makes you do stress eating?
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It is good that you've identified the cause and the effect.

Working on the weekends causes you to be stressed out and you respond by overeating to deal with the stress. While that coping strategy worked for you in the past, it does not work for you any longer.

What are your options?

1. Eliminate the cause
    2. Eliminate the effect
    • Get rid of the food that you overeat
    • Find another way to deal with your stress
    • Use a replacement food that you can overeat and stay within your calorie goal
    3. Continue this established pattern of behavior
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk or buy a punching bag.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    when i feel like stress eating i tell myself that stress is never an excuse to make poor food decisions.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I second the suggestion of a punching bag.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I eliminated the cause. A punching bag would have been an excellent option if I could have mounted it in the back room at work, and didn't have shoulder bursitis.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Can you talk with whoever is bringing the treats home? Could they include some helthy options for you?

Just because it is there it doesn't mean you must eat it!
  • domgibson88
    domgibson88 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Dont keep those "good foods" in your house...I dont keep anything unhealthy in my house and if im craving chocolate, chips, ice cream ect I have to go out and get it...Most of the time Im too lazy and dont want to go and get it.
  • MaryLouiseHand
    MaryLouiseHand Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater too! I now keep healthy snacks around so I always have a good alternative to junk food. Now when I snack I don't have to feel guilty.