fat knees..?

Options
ok i know you can't spot reduce, but are there any exercises that like help with the fat surrounding the knee area? even at my lowest weight i still had weird looking knees with a little layer of fat i could actually pull, and it dimples when i stand straight. the part i'm talking about is the front of my knees, not the side. it just seems like too much skin/fat is surrounding my knee.

i'm pear shape & short so most of my weight is past my hips, which is why my legs are an issue for me when it comes to fat loss. is it just genetics that my knees end up looking 'fat'? i just wanna know if other people's knees look like mine. it's just my knees are my biggest insecurity, and maybe i'm over analysing them.. i don't like wearing pants or socks that come up to my knee because it highlights the squishy weird knee thing. no matter what weight i'm at it seems to be an issue & it's just annoying and makes me feel bad about my legs overall :neutral:

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Our legs almost always look worse to us looking down than they do to other people. It probably is your genetics, though. Take heart, its fat that's a long way from visceral organs... so your health isn't at risk from it!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a normal level of skin/fat around the knees... have you got a photo of them to help illustrate?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're WAY over thinking it... it's just a knee!
  • jenny1181
    jenny1181 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and I cannot seem to lose the fat around them. It's a frustrating thing for anyone who has this and I won't wear shorts or anything above my knees. I understand and can sypathize with you. Just keep going and don't give up regardless!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't say you know you can't spot reduce and then ask how to spot reduce lol.

OP, I'm pear shaped too. When I first realized I needed to lose weight it was because the cellulite on the back of my legs started creeping toward the front of my thighs and my knees were getting out of hand. They were down right fat. That was at 5'4" and 165 lbs.

I was not happy with them until I was in the 120s. Even then they were fatty but looked much much better. Just keep losing fat, realize that we are at the mercy of our genetics but don't let it deter you from doing the best you can.

As far as exercises go-strength training is going to help the appearance. The more muscle you save as you lose, the more lean you will look once you get closer to goal/into a healthy bodyweight range.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Me too, nothing to do with weight, it's genetics as you already suspect. Look to your parents, I have the same knees as my Mom had.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    My DW knees aren't slender (along with her calves). And she's 5'4" 125lbs. Genetics can't be overtaken by diet and exercise. There are just some things in life that you may have to accept.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a fat pad on the inside of my knee that completely disappears once I start running above about 25kms a week. First my leg goes flat and then as I lose weight and carry on running it actually goes a little hollow! Sounds weird but I kinda like it!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Sometimes genetics plays a role in things like this. I can bet that your probably the only person that notices your knees. I doubt anyone else is checking out your knees. :)
    Google a picture of Beyonce. Her knees aren't slim but she's still pretty . you can continue to work on lowering your body fat if you really think you have substantial fat left still. But I would also remember that we can't change genetics .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Sometimes genetics plays a role in things like this. I can bet that your probably the only person that notices your knees. I doubt anyone else is checking out your knees. :)
    Google a picture of Beyonce. Her knees aren't slim but she's still pretty . you can continue to work on lowering your body fat if you really think you have substantial fat left still. But I would also remember that we can't change genetics .
    Yep. Here's a couple of other hotties with "fat knees".

melissa_zps2az8u5gr.jpgCurrently playing SUPERGIRL
    emily%20bett_zpseaap4x7a.jpg Plays Felicity Smoak on ARROW

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If the skin on the knee was tight, the knee would be unable to bend. You want loose skin around your knees. Very few knees actually look good by themselves. My grandad was constantly boggled by mini skirts because "who wants to look at a knee?" Apparently he wasn't a leg guy, but I took that to heart as a kid and didn't feel so bad about my own knees.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all these replies, its making me feel better lol. I guess I am just being my own worst critic. Also thanks for supplying some pictures @ninerbuff
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Embrace your knees and move on.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Embrace your knees and move on.

Just hard when everywhere you turn and look there's people with leaner legs! i just hate looking so stocky & having weird knees. lol