Quitting Smoking: Once Again

Options
chelseycarr666
chelseycarr666 Posts: 11 Member
100th time's the charm, right? This is honestly more difficult for me than putting down meats and dairy. I find myself lighting up a cigarette after a run as some sort of, what, reward? This is followed by essentially dying on my run back. Does anyone else sabotage themselves like this? I'm looking for support (and mostly accountability) so fellow ex smoker's coughers, unite and be beautiful with me!

Replies

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Quit for two years started again after a relationship breakup. Know it's bad for me but does not stop me. Started leaving them at home when I leave so I at least don't smoke all day. When I am at a better place will try and quit again. Know I will fail if I try now. When I do quit exercise has been key for me.
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling :s:s
  • chelseycarr666
    Options
    Quit for two years started again after a relationship breakup. Know it's bad for me but does not stop me. Started leaving them at home when I leave so I at least don't smoke all day. When I am at a better place will try and quit again. Know I will fail if I try now. When I do quit exercise has been key for me.

Ugh girl I know that game. I went into a slump after a breakup but that has motivated me to push harder ! I honestly love smoking. And have laughed about quitting! Exercise definitely helps, it's just too difficult for me to run a mile without suffocating lmao. Weaning yourself might be easier than to quit cold turkey. But you know your body better than anyone, when the time is right :)
  • fishccer
    fishccer Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/quit_smoking/messages/1148/26
    I quit on March 1st 2015 with the help of this forum. I couldn't have done it without them, the support is amazing. It's a whole, massive community of real people who have either quit or are trying to. People who quit years ago with the help of the forum come back to pay it forward and help new quitters understand what they are going through and what could be coming. It is fantastic, give it a go. My username on the forum is callyf and my quit group is Freedom Marchers 15.
    The link above is to the welcome March 2016 Ex Smokers thread I think :-) I hope I've posted the link correctly, but if I haven't, just search for quit smoking on Delphi forums.
    Good luck, keep trying, trust me, it will be the best thing you ever do.

The only thing a cigarette ever does for you is to take away the need for a cigarette. Temporarily.
  • willybilly30
    willybilly30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I need to quit smoking but i love it
    i know it is bad for me it is one of many things i need to give up
    i will check out those forums
  • triciatichu
    triciatichu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nothing is harder than quitting smoking.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I posted this a while back on a similar thread:

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing on earth. I've done it hundreds of times.

In all seriousness, I smoked from age 13. Some days, months, years I would be a pack a day smoker, some days, months years I would give up, or only have a few, or only when I was drinking.

I was 30 when I gave up my last pack every couple of days habit and it was only about 2 years ago (33) that I finally stopped stealing smokes off my friends when I was drunk. It finally just started tasting awful, so matter how in my cups I was.

I think for me the key was very similar to weight loss, that if you slip up, it's no reason to think "I've blown it" and go back to bad habits. Many a time I would want a smoke when I was partying, so I'd buy a pack and whaddaya know, keep smoking the next day and bam, I'm back in the habit.

Forgive yourself the slip ups but don't let them become excuses to give up givving up! Also forgive yourself if you gain some weight from snacking, chew the top off every pen in the house, become a gum cracker, develop an obsession with mints or any other distraction technique :)
  • chelseycarr666
    Options
    I posted this a while back on a similar thread:

Quitting smoking is the easiest thing on earth. I've done it hundreds of times.

In all seriousness, I smoked from age 13. Some days, months, years I would be a pack a day smoker, some days, months years I would give up, or only have a few, or only when I was drinking.

I was 30 when I gave up my last pack every couple of days habit and it was only about 2 years ago (33) that I finally stopped stealing smokes off my friends when I was drunk. It finally just started tasting awful, so matter how in my cups I was.

I think for me the key was very similar to weight loss, that if you slip up, it's no reason to think "I've blown it" and go back to bad habits. Many a time I would want a smoke when I was partying, so I'd buy a pack and whaddaya know, keep smoking the next day and bam, I'm back in the habit.

Forgive yourself the slip ups but don't let them become excuses to give up givving up! Also forgive yourself if you gain some weight from snacking, chew the top off every pen in the house, become a gum cracker, develop an obsession with mints or any other distraction technique :)

Appreciated ! I'm a chronic straw biter and I've coffee is my life lol. My go to is distracting myself with video games but that isn't exactly conducive to getting fit lol. One day at a time ! I bought my last pack last night and after my last Royal I'll try my hardest to stick to hobbies and running. :)
  • jklei169
    jklei169 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Quitting is easy. Most smokers do it weekly myself included. I finally quits for good 10 years ago after smoking 2 packs a day for 15 years. The problem with smoking is that each smoker has programmed triggers to smoke normal events like during and after a meal, before bed, with a morning coffee, while drinking, while driving a car, after sex, before sex etc. Which makes stopping so difficult because you have to learn to do all these things without smoking. When you are in a better place and feel mentally ready to do this for yourself you will be successful.
    Best of luck!!
  • jklei169
    Options
    Quitting is easy. Most smokers do it weekly myself included. I finally quits for good 10 years ago after smoking 2 packs a day for 15 years. The problem with smoking is that each smoker has programmed triggers to smoke normal events like during and after a meal, before bed, with a morning coffee, while drinking, while driving a car, after sex, before sex etc. Which makes stopping so difficult because you have to learn to do all these things without smoking. When you are in a better place and feel mentally ready to do this for yourself you will be successful.
    Best of luck!!
  • willybilly30
    Options
    What do you two mean quitting is easy? i can't stop for a minute without wanting to smoke. my mind bugs me to death. if i go without smokes everything drives me nuts. i smoke with everything i do but sleep and walk. Well. ipad too cause were not allowed to smoke in the apartment anymore.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What do you two mean quitting is easy? i can't stop for a minute without wanting to smoke. my mind bugs me to death. if i go without smokes everything drives me nuts. i smoke with everything i do but sleep and walk. Well. ipad too cause were not allowed to smoke in the apartment anymore.

It's a joke - "quitting is easy, I've done it hundreds of times" - meaning I "quit" over and over and always started again.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I quit by using a vape. Haven't touched a real cig since 2011. And to anyone that will, don't waste your time preaching to me about the dangers of vaping: I make my own e-liquid and understand Ohm'so law.
  • Dumpty393
    Dumpty393 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I dont smoke personally (sometimes if im drinking with friends on rare occasions, im not addicted at all) but some of my friends have tried quitting amd some have succeeded. The ones that succeeded tried replacing that activity of smoking with another one, such as munching on something, smoking hookah that doesnt have much nicotine. Some were able to do it cold turkey but they said it was hard and they had withdrawal issues out the wazoo. I recommend replacing it with another activity....or get yourself a hookah and smoke the tabacco-less flavors ( just did that the other with some peeps...smomes fantastic...tastes fantastic....zero tobacco and nicotine).

Hope you guys are able to kick the habit! Good luck!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You should really try e cigarettes

Me and SD buy from here

www.vaporfi.com

I couldn't quit without it and starting to use a liquid with less nicotine
  • willybilly30
    Options

It's a joke - "quitting is easy, I've done it hundreds of times" - meaning I "quit" over and over and always started again.
    oh ok i did not know it was a joke.
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    You should really try e cigarettes

Me and SD buy from here

www.vaporfi.com

I couldn't quit without it and starting to use a liquid with less nicotine
    i will look into that. i had an ecig but the batter charger broke. it looks like an ink pen tho
    i would like something that looks like a cigarette
  • chelseycarr666
    Options
    Thanks guys for ya wisdom. I've thried vaping but to be honest have almost no clue about it, so the one pen I was using I almost wiped out in a single night of drinking. (Which I need to kick too) I can't do one without the other. Maybe w some research I can find a vaor that suits my needs and actually satiates my craving!
  • jklei169
    Options

thats correct. I quits for a few days and would start again for over 15 years. The worst part is that i havent smoked for over 10 years and i still crave a cigarette. I even dream sometimes that Im enjoying a cigarette. Best of luck to you all!!!
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,034 Member
    Options
    I quit 10 years ago... I'd tried nicotine patches, gum... I think I even did Chantix. I guess it just comes down to really committing to it, sort of like getting in shape. You have to be ready and totally committed. I finally just quit cold turkey, mainly due to vanity. I didn't want to be wrinkly and stinky. Think about the wrinkles, the lung cookies, eventual emphysema. Plus, so damn expensive! Been there, though. Dated a guy who thought I was nuts for lighting up at the top of a hike or climb. I think what was hardest was giving up the break, the quiet moments to sit and think, the bonding outside in the cold with fellow smokers. You can do it! I have one now very once in a great while when drinking and always regret it. Good luck!
  • icantbelieveiamobese
    icantbelieveiamobese Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Same battle here