Midnight cravings crisis

Options
SweetNina81
SweetNina81 Posts: 22 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Last night marks almost the fourth day on my diet. I had dinner and was really full. Honestly I even had that guilty feeling when you stuff yourself and know that you just made the worst mistake in your life of increasing your calorie intake above higher than high. But thank god it was just a feeling since, I actually didn't eat more than required or even break my diet.
The thing is, the minute the clock struck midnight, I started feeling monsterous cravings towards bread and sweets. Like I just wanted to break the diet and stuff my face in sandwiches and everything else possible just nothing healthy. I managed finally to not give in and didn't break my diet for the first time in months. But the cravings were sooooooooooooo strong, I am scared I would give in at some point when I really do have to stay late at night (way past midnight) for work :(.
In the morning, I feel no cravings what so ever, even if I didn't have dinner, I actually force myself to have breakfast..
Anyone else with this same dilemma?? How did you manage to beat that???

22298711.png

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

It does not make sense to force yourself to eat breakfast. Eat later if that seems better.
    It is o.k. to save some calories to eat late at night.
  • SweetNina81
    Options
    I still have calories for late night snacking, but no matter what I eat or snack at midnight ( ofcourse from withing the allowed foods) I still have the cravings whilst eating and being full to the brim. :(
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sometimes the eating-at-midnight-thing is a habit that can be changed.
    Or sometimes it has to do with what you have been eating during the day. Have you eaten enough fats and proteins during the day? If so, try going lowish on the carbs and higher on the fats/ oils during the day. And, for the midnight snack, have protein and oil like cheese and deli meat (no bread).
    How many calories are you eating for the day???
  • SweetNina81
    Options
    I will try that for sure, thanks a billion o:)
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I couldn't go to sleep on empty. the satisfaction of feeling full aided my drowsiness. after you learn to avoid those cravings for enough times, the feeling tends to go away. The beginning of a dies is just always the worst. But when I do get those rare moments I always went for peanut butter which can be pretty bad.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Nina, I could have written your post. I'm hardly ever hungry for breakfast. I used to try to eat then because we're told we should, but it just added extra calories on to my day and didn't help control my eating later. I still ate just as much. I do just fine with lunch and dinner. I'm under my calorie allowance and go to bed. Once there and before I drop off to sleep, I get unbearable cravings.... usually for something sweet. I fight with myself telling me I don't need it... I'm not really hungry but the desire is so strong that I often cave in. Last night it was low fat granola cereal with skim milk. Maybe not a bad choice but a serving was 220 calories and then I still wasn't satisfied so I had more. Now it's morning and I'm not hungry, as usual. I'm logging in my late night "snack" (actually should count as a meal because of all the calories) as breakfast but now I only have about 900 calories left for the entire day. I don't know WHY I get the unbearable craving when my body is settling down for sleep. I could be more successful with losing weight if I could control that time.
  • SweetNina81
    Options
    OMG divinitylove you described exactly what happens to me on a daily basis. And what actually happens when I try to avoid it with eating healthy granola or even cereal with skim milk. I end up devouring the whole thing and much more. I've managed to avoid that for the first three days with having a teaspoon of Xylitol (plain and simple Xylitol no additives) and it satisfied my sweet tooth and for some reason didn't make me want to go for more. Unfortunately, that didn't work last night, and that's why I posted the cry for help, lol.
    Strangely, whether I cave in or not I wake up in the morning having no cravings, strange !!!!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    have your breakfast calories for your midnight snack.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Before I get in bed I always eat two hard-boiled eggs and an avocado. The fats and proteins keep me satiated through the night. I try to avoid carbs before bed because they cause greater fluctuations in blood sugar, which can wake you up.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving at night I have light hot cocoa. It's only 25 calories and a couple of carbs and it's very satisfying. The other night I had 2 and didn't feel guilty but I did feel satisfied.
  • MaryLouiseHand
    MaryLouiseHand Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to have cravings all the time. I cut back on the carbs I was eating and cut out all refined carbs and my cravings went away. The more carbs you eat the more you crave!