Strength training and low carb diet

Options
I'm so bored with cardio and since I do a fair amount of walking throughout the day anyway (MFP estimated I burn about 500 calories throughout the day) there is no reason for me to do more cardio at the gym. I'm eating 1,500 calories a day mostly low carb (I can easily stay under 50g; 20g is too strict and not something I can sustain long-term)

I want to lean out and not lose muscle, so instead of cardio I will do daily strength training. What kind of results can I expect doing this compared to a regular low calorie diet and cardio in terms of speed of weight loss and body composition?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Speed of weight loss will depend on your calorie deficit.
  • lilylavender01
    lilylavender01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TavistockToad is right. It depends on your calorie deficit. You want a balanced Carb, fat, protein diet with vitamins and minerals. I'm strength training, toning, tightening and leaning out. Carbs are your first energy source you burn, then protein and then fat is last cuz it takes the longest to digest. Depending on your health condition, any underlying problems, you don't necessarily have to do an extremely low Carb diet. Making healthier food choices is what matters the most and moderation. I incorporate 30 minutes of cardio with lifting weights. It's all trial and error. Find what works best for you, stick with it and change up the exercises every 2 - 3 months when you notice you're not losing any more weight (plateauing).
  • clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm so bored with cardio and since I do a fair amount of walking throughout the day anyway (MFP estimated I burn about 500 calories throughout the day) there is no reason for me to do more cardio at the gym. I'm eating 1,500 calories a day mostly low carb (I can easily stay under 50g; 20g is too strict and not something I can sustain long-term)

I want to lean out and not lose muscle, so instead of cardio I will do daily strength training. What kind of results can I expect doing this compared to a regular low calorie diet and cardio in terms of speed of weight loss and body composition?

thats funny u say that cuz today is my last day on a low carb diet..i kept carbs under 50g per day and without cardio just lifting lost 25lbs in 6 weeks....
  • flickerchic
    flickerchic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Funny you post this because I've been thinking along the same lines. I do a boot camp and it's weight training and cardio. I've noticed that I've started to lean out and I've lost the weight that I wanted. Now I want to maintain my weight and shred. I'm having a hard time figuring out the correct balance of macros. I'm trying to cut carbs a bit now, but don't want to cut too much that my body doesn't have enough for the adequate amount of energy. Hopefully you will figure out what works for you.
  • clutchitalian
    Options
    i understand.......just keep the protein higher than the carbs and dont eat carbs later than 6.............
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    i understand.......just keep the protein higher than the carbs and dont eat carbs later than 6.............
    Absolutely NOTHING will happen if you eat carbs past a certain arbitrary time. Why would eating carbs after 6 be any different than eating them earlier? What is so significant about 6 o'clock that an entire macronutrient ought to be forbidden?
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

thats funny u say that cuz today is my last day on a low carb diet..i kept carbs under 50g per day and without cardio just lifting lost 25lbs in 6 weeks....

Thank you. This was the type of feedback I was looking for.

Why are you getting off the low carb diet?
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Absolutely NOTHING will happen if you eat carbs past a certain arbitrary time. Why would eating carbs after 6 be any different than eating them earlier? What is so significant about 6 o'clock that an entire macronutrient ought to be forbidden?

I've heard the best time to eat carbs is at night.
  • vismal
    Options

based on what?

• clutchitalian
    Options

nooooo way....when u eat carbs late and just sit around it will just turn to fat......
  • clutchitalian
    Options

yes im finishing up today....i was at 225 around 18% bf and i wanted to lean bulk but i knew i had to diet and strip off fat first....i lost 15lbs in the first 3 weeks then 10lbs in the next couple weeks...im telling u do not eat any carb sources and u will lose weight....
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    An excess of calories will make you fat, whether it's carbs, fats, proteins, mornings, afternoons or nights.

Carbs are good before an intense workout though for high performance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

nooooo way....when u eat carbs late and just sit around it will just turn to fat......

No
  • vismal
    Options

Why would they not be stored as glycogen if you are already depleted from eating low carb and training?
  • Terpnista84
    Options

*sigh*

This is absolutely not true for everyone and not at all what I am asking.
  • clutchitalian
    Options
    if ur on a keto or low carb diet it prob wouldnt be stored as fat but it wouldnt help compared to eating protein/fat........
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

*sigh*

You posted in the weight loss forum
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

yes im finishing up today....i was at 225 around 18% bf and i wanted to lean bulk but i knew i had to diet and strip off fat first....i lost 15lbs in the first 3 weeks then 10lbs in the next couple weeks...im telling u do not eat any carb sources and u will lose weight....

I'm afraid to say that you probably lost a heck of a lot of water, glyocogen, waste in digestive tract, some fat, and unfortunately, some hard earned muscle. You cut way way too fast. You probably looked more defined of course.

It's a hard lesson to learn, you've done it kind of wrong, good not to encourage others to lose 'weight' this way!
  • clutchitalian
    Options

*sigh*

exactly....u need to know ur body and what works for YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    TavistockToad is right. It depends on your calorie deficit. You want a balanced Carb, fat, protein diet with vitamins and minerals. I'm strength training, toning, tightening and leaning out. Carbs are your first energy source you burn, then protein and then fat is last cuz it takes the longest to digest. Depending on your health condition, any underlying problems, you don't necessarily have to do an extremely low Carb diet. Making healthier food choices is what matters the most and moderation. I incorporate 30 minutes of cardio with lifting weights. It's all trial and error. Find what works best for you, stick with it and change up the exercises every 2 - 3 months when you notice you're not losing any more weight (plateauing).

Again, this is not true.

My calorie deficit will remain the same, my macros is what is changing. I see better results when I am eating low carbs on the same deficit as when I am not tracking carbs.