Snowboarding

Options
On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard would it be for an adult (me) to learn to snowboard?

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not hard. I atarted when I was 53.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can learn at any age! I learned as an adult. It can take 2-3 days to get the hang of it, and you'll fall a lot until then. I highly recommend knee pads, and maybe wrist and butt pads/protections too. Do not use rollerblading equipment - not the same as snowboard stuff! And totally worth the investment.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @Lindsayjcode Have you skied before? I found that having skiing experience helped in transition to snowboarding. I have been snowboarding for 10 years
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I often ski and find skiing more fun than snowboarding, so maybe give both a try and see how it works for you?
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Depends on your fear level to be honest. I figured it out after a long weekend (from snow plowing to s-turns). From there probably another 3 times to transfer s-turns to carves. Now, years later, I am probably a similar level to going 10 times, because I am still afraid of falling. I find the older you get, the more scared of the consequences you become. If you don't have that fear, you'll progrest amazingly!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's a blast! It takes longer to learn than skiing but I would never go back. Go for it and get your stuff now while it's on sale for end of season.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you have halfway decent balance, 1 lesson is enough to get you going down the mountain by yourself.
  • llillio
    llillio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Trick is go fast. Easier to balance with a bit of speed.

How hard it is to learn most likely depends on the person. Just prepare to fall and get super sore first few tries. It takes practice.

It's a blast though. Enjoy it!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I couldn't do it...period... and I was so sore for 3 days I could hardly move. But, I think I was way older than you. I ski and will just keep doing that. Being in good shape to start with would help. Like with skiing, don't be afraid to fall down.
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I took ski lessons when I was 39. The instructor looked at me and said the best time to learn is when you are 3. I replied yeah I came to this party late and here I am. You can do learn to do anything if you are determined and don't give up!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how hard would it be for an adult (me) to learn to snowboard?

I didn't answer your question. 1 being easy to learn, 10 being hard, because you look young, I'd say 1-3. Go for it.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    terrie_k wrote: »
    Depends on your fear level to be honest. I figured it out after a long weekend (from snow plowing to s-turns). From there probably another 3 times to transfer s-turns to carves. Now, years later, I am probably a similar level to going 10 times, because I am still afraid of falling. I find the older you get, the more scared of the consequences you become. If you don't have that fear, you'll progrest amazingly!

Agree - and that's where the pads (especially for the knees) are useful. If you're not afraid to fall, you won't get all stiff when you know a fall is coming up (and they do, a lot, at first), which would make you more prone to hurt yourself. If you're relaxed, you'll just bounce... To an extent :) The pain and bruising can be brutal after one day, but it's a shame to give up before you figure it out and decide if you like it.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Azzpad is perfect for snowboarding. Will save your tailbone.