When is the "best" time?

Options
Hey everyone! I'm a college student, and I was just wondering if you'd recommend me to do some exercise at night or in the early morning? Also, any tips on how to get myself motivated TO workout?? Thanks!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're going to do it!

While some studies have found that there may be advantages to working out in the morning, the advantages completely pale in comparison to the advantage of exercising when it is convenient and pleasurable for you to do so. Personally, I'll take time in bed over just about anything, so I work out in the evenings. I wouldn't last a week trying to do it in the morning.

As for tips to do it - find something you enjoy. I never liked the gym at all, but then I started Taekwondo and loved it so much that I now enjoy going to the gym, because of the effects I see on my TKD
  • cd2music
    cd2music Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When are your classes? When I had early classes, there was no way that I could workout before them. But If my classes started late morning I felt more energized the whole day if I got a workout in before classes. If your schedule isn't your problem, let your body be your guide. The person in the previous reply nailed it. Find a time when you have the energy, time, and want to go. Make sure you're eating well and hydrated. Now, I workout afternoons and evenings. I'm a late night person, and early workouts and I don't get along.
  • CoachKatie814
    CoachKatie814 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is when it's most convenient and pleasurable for you. This makes it easier to stick to it than it would be if you had to fight your schedule. The exception is if you have any injuries, especially back problems. In that case it's better to wait until you've been up and around for at least a couple of hours
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with doing it at a time that is best for you. I am NOT a morning person, but was trying to go to the gym at 5am before my son and husband got up and it just wasn't working for me. I work evenings and felt wide awake when I got out of work, so one night I said I would go to the gym after work and I have been doing it ever since. It works for me. Whatever is easiest for you and helps you stick to it will probably be beneficial to you in the long run. Good luck!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    When you are going to actually do it. Mornings work well for me, although if I know my next competition I'll be lifting a specific different time, I'll get some training in at that time so my body is used to it.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Whenever you will actually do it. I'm now exercising consistently because I took a few minutes to be honest about all my excuses. I looked at my "reasons" for skipping workouts and found a way around them.

I had a lot of excuses, but it's boiled down to working out at home where I feel safe and comfortable. Doing things I enjoy like wii dance or my favorite nature Park walking trails, with fans and fresh air available, and I have to do it first thing in the morning. I also got myself a cardio machine for more options at home but there are plenty of YouTube workouts from walking at home to strength training.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, the best time to do it is whatever works best for you and your schedule. I once told myself I was going to get up and work out before classes .... But then the pillow felt so freaking nice and magically grew arms that held me hostage so ... Oops, sorry not sorry. Lol, so I just go when I come home from classes, before I start on my homework. It's all a matter of personal preference because if you don't personally choose your best time, you won't stick to it :)

As for motivation, picking a time that you like and making a workout routine that you like will make all the difference. If it's something that you find pleasurable, you'll stick to it. Those first couple of days going will be the hardest, but after that, it becomes such a part of your schedule that you'll feel off if you don't go. You'll find that you actually even look forward to it. That's when you know you've picked your best time and your best workout! Just be sure to find a couple of good routines and switch it up from time to time so that it doesn't become boring and so your body doesn't become used to it and therefore not have to work as hard to complete it