Beginner in strength training

Within the past year I have lost most of my goal weight to lose. Which is 30 lbs. now that I've done that I really want to just maintain that but become more toned. I do not have much experience in strength training other than using 8-10 lb weights during home workouts. I have no idea where to start. I have access to a gym. Should I start with the machines that do weights or should it be more free weights? Also, how many days a week should I be using weights as opposed to just straight cardio?

Replies

• btruebfree
    btruebfree Posts: 6 Member
    Research may be your best friend at this point. Some suggestions :)
    - look up the different body types (I have found looking at 5+ sites usually gives a good range of info and I get to see the information that is repeated)... Ectomorph, Endomorph and Mesomorph
    - Bodybuilding.com has a body type test that helps
    - Toning means building muscle, I have found lifting weights to be the safest way to accomplish this.
    - If u can't afford a trainer research workouts online- YouTube is a good place to learn proper form (again watch a bunch and go with the common thread of info)
    - Start LIGHT start EASY be nice to yourself (I am a female who has been working out for 10yts now and lifting for about 6... We always push too hard at first it is much safer to start easy and light till you get the form down)

Wow I didn't think I would type this much! Lol

Research research research
    And definitely figure out ur body type so you know wiether you should be doing any cardio and if so how frequently
  • btruebfree
    btruebfree Posts: 6 Member
    Good luck
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Because of the balancing you need to do, free weights will work more muscles, giving you a better workout. However, if your gym only has 45 lb Olympic bars, you may not be strong enough to start with free weights yet, so it's perfectly okay to start with the machines.

Start light and focus on form at first. (Videos can help here) As you get your form down, start to add more weight. Don't be afraid to lift heavy once your form is good (you will not get bulky), but listen to your body, too, so you don't over do it.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    There are some good books out there, such as New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Strong Curves. I recommend either or both. They both provide actual training programs. There's also online free programs, like Strong Lifts 5 x 5. My recommendation is that you do follow a program until you learn what you need to make your own. The books are great because they give you a lot of knowledge about why you should or shouldn't do certain things, and explain a lot of the science behind the programs. Good luck! Lifting is fantastic for self-image and feeling badass :smiley:
  • puntothemax
    puntothemax Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2016
    If you can afford it, choose personal training for at least a few sessions to become acquainted with using free weight equipment with proper form. Weight lifting is an extremely effective means of both losing weight and gaining strength with a considerable amount of body reshaping, however, it's only safe it you know what you're doing!

A few basic movements to learn how to do with free weight that are engage many muscle groups throughout your body:

-Squats: Start with back-loaded and progress to front-loaded
    -Deadlifts
    -Clean + jerk
    -Chest press
    -Overhead lift

Once you have these basics down, you can work on many variations and further lifting exercises to create the kind of workout you are seeking. Depending on your lifts, weight you load on the bars, number of reps and sets, and time you spend in between sets, your workout can vary considerably. You will be surprised how much weight lifting engages your abdominal and back muscles beside the more obvious ones in legs and arms.

As much as I love lifting, you won't necessarily lift every day. It's healthiest for your body in both weight loss and health maintenance to vary your exercise. Daily recommendation is at least 30 mins of activity a day, whether this is walking, running, playing frisbee, dancing, lifting weights, yoga, aerobics, cycling - whatever your heart desires!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    I champion SL5x5 in this instance - look it up, it's easy to follow and you can do it alone.