Which is better weights or cardio?

Options
I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and am pressed for time. I was wondering if doing weights at the gym or doing cardio would benefit someone obese like myself? I guess I am asking if you had to only 1 due to your weight and schedule, which would you pick and why?

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    which would you pick and why?

I'd ensure that my "calories in" was what was driving the weight loss and I'd pick strength training to ensure that I preserved as much muscle mass during that loss phase as possible.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    BOTH!

Both are something you should do, while eating fewer calories than you burn, to improve cardiovascular health, and minimize muscle loss.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Better for what? One is better for strength, the other is better cardiovascular fitness, a combination of both is better for a well rounded level of fitness, and being in control of your calorie intake is better for weight loss.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If I were obese I would choose a sensible form of cardio in the first phase of my plan and then transition into including strength training when I had lost a chunk of weight. If I had time however the best solution would be to do both off the bat.

I say this because reducing weight first and foremost would be my goal to relieve stress on the body and the mere act of moving given high starting weight would help maintain muscle mass in the sort term.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    BOTH!

This.
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Id start off with doing some own body weight cardio, T25 or something like that especially if you are pushed for time. Then move onto weights, anybody who says you cant get a good cardiovascular workout lifting weights tell that to my heart this morning whilst I was doing leg day.
  • CarlDeCatDaddy
    CarlDeCatDaddy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's really particular to the need. My wife started in about a year and a half back on My Fitness Pal and the gym. In her case, resistance helped because she didn't have the muscle base. She does both.
    For myself, an ex-carpenter, muscle mass is not an issue, but flexibility is. I've been through 11 surgeries on my back, hands, knees, stomach and shoulder. So I focus on cardio and some swimming at the gym, do a LOT of stretching for the whole body every day, and cycle in good weather.
    I get my muscle workouts in the yard, building things and shoveling lots of dirt and sand around. I do a lot of carpentry.
    I've been advised to lift, but my joints go into pretty much immediate pain mode.
    As we age, it's not strength or cardio fitness that's as much a threat as lack of flexibility, which leads to spills and injuries.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    BOTH!

This.

This fails to answer the question.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Better for what? One is better for strength, the other is better cardiovascular fitness, a combination of both is better for a well rounded level of fitness, and being in control of your calorie intake is better for weight loss.

This. Also, when you say you are pressed for time, make sure to look at how much time you spend in front of a TV, video games, social media, etc and reassess.

Best of luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    quote="coreyreichle;35700801"]BOTH!

Echoing this.

Why?

1) Cardiovascular health is extremely important as well all already know. Not only decreasing risks to heart disease and all the other many health benefits, adding in regular cardio can increase your metabolic rate which will aid in fat loss.

2) When eating at a moderate deficit to loose weight, you will loose muscle mass. In order to minimize muscle loss along with "fat" loss you can lift weights and eat moderate amount of protein in your diet during your weight loss. Lifting weights will also increase your metabolic rate which will burn more fat.

So doing both is a WIN WIN.

Go to the MFP Exercise and Fitness forums and look for "Cardio is not for fat burning" . You will learn some stuff about this question regarding cardio.

Also go to the success stories threads. There are countless success stories where many started weights off the bat and many that wished they had of.

Important for me to say, I have never exercised to loose weight only. I made exercise (cardio and lifting weights) a life long commitment to my health and wellness. Loosing weight is all about the calorie deficit.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the kind you will actually do.

Take the wise advice of other posters above and try out various things. Just speaking for myself, it's very difficult to be consistent with exercise if you are forcing yourself to do something you hate.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BOTH!

This.

Okay. I'll answer the OP's question for you. The OP needs to utilize the kitchen to lose their weight. Their comment that they were pressed for time when it comes to exercise to take on their obesity did not specify exactly how much time they were going to spend in the gym per day/week/month.

Which is better for such an obtuse "pressed for time" schedule?

BOTH.

The benefits of working the muscles while losing fat has been written about in nearly 1000 posts per day on the MFP boards. The benefits of doing cardio have also been written about in nearly 1000 posts per day on MFP. It's not an either or question. Do BOTH repeatedly within the time constraints of "being pressed for time".

I would like to think that watkins1980 (the OP) took the time to do some reading on the thousands and thousands of threads answering the exact same question that they began this thread with in the first place. But I know better...

That being said - the kitchen is where an obese person got obese in the first place, and it is the place where an obese person needs to lose their obesity.
  • amymariajames
    amymariajames Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If your looking for muscles then strength is what u r looking for.if your looking just to be thin cardio is the best.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    BOTH!

Both are something you should do, while eating fewer calories than you burn, to improve cardiovascular health, and minimize muscle loss.

THIS
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the one you can/will do.

Most important is calorie in (what you eat).

Any exercise is better than none, and it can evolve as your fitness does.

My last big weight loss I started with walking around a local park...usually a half hour each time, and water aerobics classes at a gym. As I got thinner and fitter I tried other things. Zumba I didn't like. Spinning I did.

This time I started with walking again. Then got a gym membership. Added some more intense cardio...rowing and precor. Just this past week back to spinning again.

Both times I've done a smattering of yoga/pilates/floor work at home for abs and stretching.

Personally struggle with dealing with the weights area at the gym. I bought a kettle bell to use at home and loaded a couple of body weight strength training apps, may throw in working on a couple of machines...all with the idea that building a strength base will make free weights less mentally difficult.

As far as being pressed for time, it doesn't have to be formal. I can pick up the kettle bell and do a set of goblet squats waiting for the microwave to finish, or march in place in the laundry room waiting for the lid on the washer to unlock.

Just move.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    BOTH!

This.

No, it does not. Both are the better one to do, to lose weight. You should be doing both, while losing weight. It's not an either/or question, really.
  • ngolden3320
    ngolden3320 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Both
    I do both when every time go to the gym, and I am only there for less than an hour. I like doing the weights because I like the way they are making me feel stronger. Cardio I do something different every time I go. I have found that I hate the treadmill and I know I would have given up if that is all I did for cardio. Have found that I like the bike. I am learning to like the Eliptical trainer, the arc trainer is still up for debate. The point is find something you like and just move.
  • StealthHealth
    Options
    @coreyreichle it was, very specifically, an either or question
    I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and am pressed for time. I was wondering if doing weights at the gym or doing cardio would benefit someone obese like myself? I guess I am asking if you had to only 1 due to your weight and schedule, which would you pick and why?

We could argue about whether the OP could find the time/energy to do both or guess whether that is what they want in reality or this is a hypothetical question but we'd be here all day - and the result would be of zero benefit to the OP who asked a simple question - based upon, I guess, the time that he feels he wants spend on exercises.

Note: is false to say that you should be doing both - you don't need either to lose weight (although in many cases either type of exercise would help).
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    @coreyreichle it was, very specifically, an either or question

We could argue about whether the OP could find the time/energy to do both or guess whether that is what they want in reality or this is a hypothetical question but we'd be here all day - and the result would be of zero benefit to the OP who asked a simple question - based upon, I guess, the time that he feels he wants spend on exercises.

Note: is false to say that you should be doing both - you don't need either to lose weight (although in many cases either type of exercise would help).

BOTH.
  • bepperson30
    bepperson30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    do both. I switch mine up every other day. Cardio one day then weights the next. but even if I do weights I do jumping jacks, burpees, or a short run to get my heart rate up and my muscles loose before hand.