To the Desis here and also other peeps

Options
reflectinwards
reflectinwards Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

This is another attempt to lose weight. I have been trying to do so since the past decade! And it's not that I haven't learnt or changed but still not as much as I would like to. Now I am trying again and feeling more humble than determined, because I know how easy it is to give up. My goal is to lose 30 kilos or approx 60 pounds. In my mind I should be able to do this consistently and religiously in the next year... But given my track record I'm trying to stay grounded.

So I have a few questions for those who can answer:

How do you keep the momentum to diet AND exercise going when you've been trying for so long without any extraordinary results?

How do the Desis manage to keep on track with the planned diet when living with a family?

Also to the desis: do you peeps have any tips about the foods I can eat while still having some roti and dal? The information I get from a multicultural gym and trainers is all very conflicting.

Thanks for your time xx

Replies

• aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 60 pounds too. Don't know too much but maybe start reducing portions and logging food. You can eat roti daal but just look up calories and log it. If I have a party or family function I'd either eat less that day to fit in the food for later or I indulge one day as that won't make a difference.
    I lost before but like you said I lack consistency. I'm like you I want the great results but don't want to work hard or once I lose few pounds I get comfortable I keep losing and gaining same few kg!!
    Maybe try writing a diary which is what I've started and set small goals or if u have a wedding or birthday party coming back set a mini goal towards that so ur working towards something.
    I do believe u can eat what u want as long as it's in moderation so I don't think the desi food is too much of a problem. Make a few small changes add in some exercise and see where u r 3 weeks from today.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi my original goal was to loss 60 lbs I'm now down 28.
    I do most of the cooking in my house, and being a multicultural family we eat a variety of meals not just Asian.
    Watching your portion sizes, the amount of Rice and Roti/ chapati will help.
    If you are able to help with meal prep, make recipies and log them in the recipie builder to work out servings and portions. Once the recipie is built you can go back and change up ingredients if they change.
    Weigh everything with a scale in gramd or oz.
    Vegetarians dishes can be lower cal but watch the oil and salt going into the dishes, again participating in making meals will help.
    Eat in moderatio and move more. You can eat the same foods just less.
    I personally would start logging what you would normally eat then cut back by 3/4-1/2 log calories and keep an eye on progress. You can then reevaluate
    Good luck
    Friend request sent
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I lost 71lbs on here
    It's not a diet and exercise plan just to lose weight
    Drop the diet word or you'll feel deprived
    Switch your mind set to lifestyle change
    Go on to a calculator to find your weightloss calories
    Healthyeater.com calorie counter
    Macros are fat carbs protein % if you want to use then do
    Put in honestly how active you are this is important don't eat exercise calories if your using a calorie calculator like this as its all in
    Then eat as healthy as you can
    Move more like walking swimming etc to start with something you can do all the time , starting a hard workout exercise routeen will be a fail
    Cutting calories too low will fail as its meant to be for life
    Aim for -1lbs a week more is a bonus but at this loss your not starving yourself it killing yourself with exercise
    Have a treat each day in your calories
    Remember weight loss is calories in calories out
    Exercise helps burn some but not as much as people think unless your very active but exercise is good for health
    Weigh measure log ALL food and drink that goes in your mouth EVERYTHING as the only person you cheat if you don't is yourself

If you do this properly it becomes second nature we all have slip ups days off but long term it's best to find a lifestyle than a DIET

• Dumpty393
    Dumpty393 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree what people are saying in here. Dieting is just a temporary thing. What you want to do is change your lifestyle. Otherwise you will be right back where you started.

Even if you live with family you have to calculate portions. Its hard to do that if you are not the one cooking and if the dishes are made in one big pot with lots of ingredients because you dont know what youre really getting in each scoop.

The best thing would be to either ask for your food to he made seperately with specificay calculated ingredients (like 100 grams of this and 40 grams of that..etc). No matter how healthy the overall food is, its all about calories in and out. You could eat the healthiest foods and still gain weight. If making an extra dish just for you is too much for them then I suggest you stay away from what they are making and make your own food (thats what I did).

So, calculate your bmr (your maintenance calories you would need to sustain your weight currently, google could help you with this...or i could if you have trouble finding out how to do that). Subtract about 500 calories from that and that is the amount of calories youd want to five your body daily, along with exercise!

One step at a time...but later on you should learn about managing your macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat).

A lot of indian dishes are eaten with rice and roti...and roti was a huge culprit in terms of amount of calories. I also limited my rice intake to about 1/4th cup and would increase the amount of curry (but of course know how many calories the curry has as well as its macros).

Eating too few calories is another huge mistake people make. Make sure you do not starve your body otherwise it will want to hold on to everything you eat...so make sure you do not go past 500 calories below your daily maintenance calorie allowance.

So if you follow your calories..that would be losing around 500 calories a day x 7 days a week...around 3500 calories (you could bump your calories up a bit or subtract 300 cals from your maintenance if you exercise)

3500 cal = 1 lb of fat!....and not just water weight (which you will lose that too)

Also, try to use ths mirror more than the weight scale. The weight can fluctuate throughout the day based on water...and you could actually gain weight die to some beginner muscle development...so i strongly suggest you use the mirror to judge how you sre doing over the scale.

Last of all...this takes time. If you need help just go ahead and ask me anything.

You can do it i promise! Just stick with it youll be so glad you did!

Also, if anyone else has questions go ahead and shoot me a friend request..ill be more than happy to help :).
  • N0easyway0ut
    N0easyway0ut Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with much of what has been said above. it is a lifestyle change rather than cutting a few meals here and there. if you are serious about weight loss or making a change, then you have to go all out. A few cheat meals which fit in with your macros will not hurt. As SKhatri has mentioned above - it is hard to calculate your intake of KCals, so it may be best to eat / make food separately until you're at a happy weight. Good luck with it.
  • reflectinwards
    reflectinwards Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I really appreciate all your responses. I keep coming back to them whenever I need motivation xx