C25k results?

Options
Anyone like to share there success stories with using the c25k program?:)

Replies

• Sofitness
    Sofitness Posts: 54
    Options
    I hated running my whole life, with a fierce passion. What gave me the courage to start out was my dog, and thanks to him I found my first run kind of fun, even though it was damn hard to run even a minute back then. I didn't give up, though I've had a lot of obstacles on my way (knee injury, vacation and so on) and this morning I ran 25 minutes without stopping for the third time, which I never thought I'll ever do and if someone would say to me I will just two or three months ago, I'd give him a really weird look and walk away. The program is really great.
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi - I've always struggled with running but decided as well as watching what I eat I'd try this program. I completed it in April with a 5k run booked in May. I never managed to run 5k in the 30 mins on the program, always about 4.7k.

During my run however, I completed 5k in 29 minutes.

Its a brilliant program if you stick with it.
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been a runner - never could even do the 800m or 1500m at school even when I danced 4 times a week and was on the netball and basketball teams...I've tried jogging programs before, but never managed to get to the bit where it started to be fun.

7 weeks ago I started the C25K...genuinely didn't think I'd ever enjoy it, but thought it would be a good way to get about 30mins exercise 3 times a week, especially going into the summer...
    Week 1 was a killer, could barely run 60seconds...looked like a sweaty beetroot...

7 weeks on, just completed day 2, 3rd 25 min run (I genuinely almost cried in week 3 at having to run for 3 mins...let alone the laughter at the idea of running 25mins initially), and i love it now!
    Sunday morning I was up at 9am to go for a run, today I was up at 7 to run at 8am. It's amazing. My mum is doing it with me (though at different speeds) and she loves it too. I have so much more energy just by running 3 times a week.
    Oh and our 3yrold chocolate labrador loves it too!

Looking forward to finishing and working on the distance...I'm running a 5k at the end of July...
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I used C25k to get to 5K, although I achieved it in less time than the plan allowed for... after week 5 I could just run 5K no problems.

Now I've just come back from an 8K run, and I currently run between 8 - 10K. I'm slowly building up to a half-marathon in September!

It's thanks to the C25k program that I went from a gasping mess after a 5 min run to being able to run 1:20+ hours without getting red in the face.

I'm still slow, but I'm working on that.
  • zoink66
    zoink66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I've wanted to try this program for so long but just haven't built up the courage yet.
  • wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    two years ago when I first started to try to lose weight I started jogging without a program... went way too often and ended up with crippling shin splints that took two months to go away... and promptly put me off my exercise program.

I started c25k after I had already lost a bit of weight and started at the gym, and so far its been amazing. I questions what they were thinking when it came to going from 8 min intervals to a 20 min one, but it worked. My last day of week 8 was saturday, and I measured that I ran about 3+ miles in the 28 min jog time. I start week 9 today, and hopefully by next Saturday I'll be a graduate ready to run my first race in July.

I highly recommend this program, in fact my wife and daughter just started week 2 today.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    bump. i started week 1 on thursday and i'm starting week 2 tomorrow!!!!!!!

:-) week 1 was pretty hard but day 1 was a lot harder than day 3 so that's good. i'm expecting tomorrow to be pretty hard. ;)
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I finished C25K at the beginning of May. It worked really well. I enjoyed how it took it slow, except the jump from W6 t W7, if I remember correctly. I'm not running an entire 5K yet but my times keep improving and I'm taking less walking breaks with each race. Since finishing the program I've entered 3 races so far. I shaved off approximately two minutes each race.

My goal is run in 6 races this year and if all goes well, try my hand at a half marathon.
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    LOVED it!! I recently finished the program and have continued to run 3 miles 3x per week. I was training to be able to run the distance for the Warrior Dash. I have now signed up for an official 5K for the 4th of July. I really enjoy running now. I didn't think I would as I was NEVER a runner. It's amazing the results from week 1 to week 9. I struggled the first couple weeks, but my stamina was great by the end. I would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    read my blog its in my sig!
  • John090671
    John090671 Posts: 13
    Options
    I loved it....I just completed my first 5k last Saturday, I'm moving on to 10k now. I probably couldn't have done it without it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started in late December, finished in February, and have done three 5k races, one 4.5 mile, one 5 mile, and a 3.5 mile Warrior Dash. I'll likely do a 5k on the 4th of July, and I'm signed up for a 10k on July 23rd.

The first time I ran one mile on the treadmill, I was euphoric. It took me 12 minutes. Now I can run a mile in under 8.

Yup. Program works. :smile:
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks guys, this has helped me too.
    i havent gone back after wk 1 day 1 - for alot of reasons (excuses). wk 1 day 1 almost killed me. and i thought i'd probably never get to do it. My bf is giving me grief because i havent picked it back up again, and part of me doesnt want to because he's being such an *kitten*. But i will keep going.
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm just going into the gym now and will be doing Wk 3 Day 2 - I have never liked running before but I'm loving this and it's really pushing me further each time. I'd recommend it highly but I had trouble with shin splints so I also recommend you do running leg stretches before each session like I am now. The CoolRunning website gives you all the stretches with pics and instructions.

Good luck and have fun.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I haven't finished the C25K program yet, but I will be in about 3 weeks! I'm on my 6th week, and I couldn't believe that (even though it was hard) I could run 20 minutes straight... from dreading running 5 minutes straight... to 20 minutes straight?! I didn't think the program was logical, but apparently it is... it has been working for me a lot! There are a few days though where I dread the run... or feel tired during it, but I never gave/give up and always am proud when I finish.

I recommend this program! I just started my weight loss journey almost 2 months ago, and I decided to have an exercise program to follow to make me feel like I was really doing something for my health as well... instead of blindly running (I run outside and used to stop when I got tired --- not much progress that way).
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have just finished week 1 of this program yesterday... I realize this program has turned "couch potatoes" into runners but the question that I have been pondering is what have been your physical results from doing this program? Did you lose more inches? fat? nothing at all?

Also, during the running sections are people jogging at a moderate pace or full out running/sprinting?
  • HeyGrlHey
    Options
    I have just finished week 1 of this program yesterday... I realize this program has turned "couch potatoes" into runners but the question that I have been pondering is what have been your physical results from doing this program? Did you lose more inches? fat? nothing at all?

Also, during the running sections are people jogging at a moderate pace or full out running/sprinting?

I am on W5d2 today and I can def. tell a difference in the way my legs look and feel. I think I have also lost some inches. I only have lost officially 1lb since starting the program, but I think that is due to my eating habits :] I think if you pair this program with a really healthy eating habit you will see results.

As for the running sections: I personally jog. I don't full out run.

So far I love this program. It has been hard for me to stick with it, but I have.

M.
  • turpz
    turpz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I finished it in June - I do circuit style training and have done for 2 years now, so did a fair bit of running each week, but only short sprints, I couldn't go for any length of time at all, hence doing c25k. I signed up for a 5k run in July & wanted to make sure I'd get around it. (Which I did, in 50-odd minutes but in my defense it was a crawl up hills, wade through ponds, jump over walls sort of run, not one for setting a personal best!

Been working on running 5k since then, got my time down to 31 mins a couple of weeks ago, and I have a 10k coming up in October.

One thing I will say is once you are comfortable running, try finding people/a group to go with. I'm happy with 5k now, but had never run further, and with 10k looming, I was starting to think there was no way I could get up to that distance. Went out last night for a run with girls from my circuit class, and when I checked, we did 10.9k! It's amazing what a bit of company and moral support does. C25k is a fab starting point, well worth it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!