Eating out

Options
Hi!

Kind of new to this! Just wondering how people log their calories if eating out at a restaurant/cafe etc..

I tend to eat out a lot because of my busy lifestyle and try to go for the lightest meal I can find but portion sizes and calories are hardly ever stated! Finding this difficult at the moment to keep track of what calories I'm consuming!

Any help is massively appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants have their calories on their website. If not, Google the dish and the restaurant and there's a good chance a calorie estimate will come up. This site is pretty good about having restaurant dishes in the database and so are a few of the others.
  • michaelgooch123
    michaelgooch123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do find that most restaurant menus nowadays have calorie counts next to the food. Like Lexi says though, do a quick Google as well as looking it up in the MFP database. It should give you a good estimate.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Also, try packing some fruit and protein bars so you don't have to do it as often and to save money.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I go to a nice restsurant, or fastfood. I'll check to see if it's listed 1st on My fitness pal. If it's not, I'll build my diary meal myself. If I had a grilled chkn wrap, I'll search a basic whole wheat large flour wrap, a grilled chkn breast, veggies,ect..I put it together piece by piece. I'll account for oils and butters. Sure the nutritional information may be off, but I'll have a basic idea. For the odd time I do go out to eat.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with the MFP database.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It helps to eat at chain resturants. I've discovered a lot of the local places around me don't keep calorie counts and I'll have to guess at meals. However I can find most chains on the Web easily enough. Added benefit is that I can often see the images of making changes to my meals.
  • GingeyFloss
    GingeyFloss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! This is all really helpful! Going to try not eat out so much but Google when I do!

Fruit and protein bars it is!!

Thanks again!