How to handle spouse who is not receptive to your new body

Options

Replies

• hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There is a disconnect between what you say you want and how you are acting. You say that you are happier with your current weight and body fat, but then you quiz him on all your specific body parts and how he does/does not like them. Why invite criticism and put yourself through a level of objectification that leaves you devastated? If he is a good guy in a very good marriage, why on earth would he say such nasty things to you and go to a strip club?

Physical attraction between spouses is more than just a sum of body parts, and you both seem to be floundering a little in this area right now. I think it might be worthwhile for you to talk with a psychologist and try to get to the root of the disconnect.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are working hard for your body, good for you!

I don't like the sound of the lap dance thing but I know there are many ways to feel about it. In my opinion it's a cop out excuse to say he wanted a different body type. What if you gained 75 pounds? Is it okay to get a lap dance because he wanted a smaller body type? What would he think about you getting a lap dance from a man because you wanted a different body type?

It may be he needs time to adjust to the new you. I agree with the above that he might be feeling insecure because he isn't exercising like you are. Any major change can feel threatening when you arent part of it. Also agree a counselor could be helpful too.

I say give it time and talk about it with him. After 22 years marriage I know that waiting things out is often part of the answer. Takes time to adjust. Of course by the time we both adjust something changes again and we are back to adjusting.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Him being attracted to a certain body type and wanting you to look a certain way, this is not something he can change or purpose and it is something you need to accept. Whether this means you should change your looks based on his preferences, and what is best for your relationship, this is not something that can have a clear answer. So, if the problem was just this, him being honest about what he finds attractive then this would be something you two could discuss.
    But, him going to a strip clb and paying for a lap dance (which does not appear to be acceptable in your marriage) this a very different story. You did not make him do these things or hide the visit from you. And it opens the whole issue of what else is it you cannot trust him about. If one is no longer attracted to a partner and cannot live this way, there are honest solutions: from talking about it to ending the relationship. Trying to find attraction elsewhere is not accpetable (I am guessing thsi is not an open marriage) and it is not something he can blame on you. If he was/is going to cheat, this is not something you have done wrong. Do not let him convince you your body is the reason it is happening. Unless he used it as a way to "punish" you, which is very disturbing!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    It's not you--he's using that as an excuse. You may have had the perfect husband and marriage, but something's off and it's not your body. There's more to it--look into it.

Exactly.

A man whose range for attractiveness involves a variation of less than ten pounds...is being ridiculous.

He is going to leave you, cheat on you, or both. This is a thing men do to shift responsibility from themselves when they want to make bad decisions. YOU are not the problem.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's not you--he's using that as an excuse. You may have had the perfect husband and marriage, but something's off and it's not your body. There's more to it--look into it.

Exactly.

A man whose range for attractiveness involves a variation of less than ten pounds...is being ridiculous.

He is going to leave you, cheat on you, or both. This is a thing men do to shift responsibility from themselves when they want to make bad decisions. YOU are not the problem.

I hate to say it, but yeah. It sounds like he wants out of the marriage and just wants an escape hatch that lets him blame the whole thing on you.

I mean, he actually told you that he had to turn away from your body in disgust because he saw a vein - or for any reason at all? I would have had the divorce papers on his desk in the morning. Trust me: when a man tells you things like that, believe him. It sucks, but not nearly as much as it sucks to listen to *kitten* like that for far too long only to find that he was saying "I'm done" loud and clear for a long time before you could bring yourself to hear it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Let's put it in another way. I'm female and in the 50ish range, and my spouse is heavy, while I'm still fit. I'd love for my SO to lose 25 lbs. or more. What if I went to a male strip club and had a lap dance with one of the strippers because I'm not happy with my spouse's body? Would that, then, be OK because my own partner's body isn't exactly what I want? Sorry, but in a marriage, if one partner is complaining because he's "not attracted" for a 10 lb. weight difference and seeking satisfaction elsewhere, the problem is definitely not with OP.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sorry for being blunt. But....You deserve better.

You are worth more regard than he's giving you. This isn't your problem. It's his. He's just making excuses here. Please take care....
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    jlynnc77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments. I do think part of it is the time that I devote to my fitness and the fact that he has gotten more out of shape the last few years due to injuries. I have also suffered running injuries and don't even run that much anymore, so I know it is easy to get down on yourself. I also know that he would like more of my time. We do enjoy going to the gym together and go about once a week together. He did mention some concern that our lifestyles might be changing some. I admit that I am a little more devoted to it when we first met, and he definitely let me know when we met that he liked being active but was not a gym rat. Based on our conversations, he felt that since it would be easy for me to gain 10lbs and since I was relatively happy with how I looked 10 lbs heavier that it wasn't too much to ask. I don't have a problem talking about my body with him, especially if I ask the question and do value his opinion. I do not believe that he meant to put me down but agree he could have let me know that he liked my body 10 lbs heavier and missed the fuller boobs and butt without a few of the comments that I heard. I am by no means justifying anything, just trying to give the full story.

This is a whole bunch of denial. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY has any right to tell you what to do with your body. Not your husband, not your mother, not your doctor. Your body is YOURS. YOU make the decisions on what YOU do with it. Someone telling you its reasonable to gain 10 pounds so you look better to them is all sorts of wrong. It is controlling.

There is something seriously wrong going on here. It IS too much to ask for you to put on weight so you look better to him.

You are not the problem. He is.

• Kristin2626
    Kristin2626 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think nearly everyone said it perfectly! I mean, if I frankly ask a man what he thinks of my appearance (regardless of whether I am thin, fat, muscular, whatever the appearance quality you want to discuss), and he says, "I prefer women who are X" when I am working on moving from Y to Z (opposite direction!) you know, that hurts sure. If he says, "I don't like how Y you are" that also hurts. But I asked for an opinion and it's nice to know where I stand -- it tells me a lot about that part of our relationship. We all have what we are attracted to in others and we all have what we are attracted to in ourselves and the one thing that we absolutely should not compromise is what we do for ourselves and with ourselves. The other side of the coin is that if the relationship is a healthy, good long-term relationship, it should not matter that much. I mean, I want the guy I hook up with to have a six-pack, but if I expected that of a husband, I would be going through a lot of divorces! If this man is willing to commit what I am assuming is a form of infidelity in your relationship over 10 lbs. weight loss (I assume that because he lied, seeing a stripper was off-limits), then he is not in the relationship for the right reasons. And finally (and really my main point here) if instead of saying "here are my preferences" he talks about having to look away, can't stand the thought of you in a bikini, etc. -- THAT is emotional abuse. That's not merely, "this is what I like," it's "I am going to hurt you until you submit to becoming what I like." He seems to think that you are an object that he bought that is not performing properly, instead of a human being he's married, with whom he is building a lasting relationship.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Have you told him how you feel?

Some guys prefer less muscular women and that is just what they like.

Some men prefer women to look more Soft and round instead of muscular and firm.

You sound like you are proud of yourself and the work you've put in... So do what makes you happy.

I'm wondering if you make enough "together time" ... Do you make time for the two of you or are you always working out and talking to him about calories?

I think guys get bored of always talking about food and exercise and calories.

Him going to a stripper and blaming it on you is a whole seperate issue.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Yep
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has said so many good things!

We all can have preferences. We can even voice those preferences to our partners if they ask our opinion. But we should never issue ultimatums or turn away from them in disgust or expect them to comply with our preferences. I prefer men who don't have beards. If I'm dating someone and he asks me what I think then I'll say "I prefer no beard". If he proceeds to grow a beard then I'm not going to harass him about shaving or comment that I can't stand beards or refuse to kiss him because it disgusts me. That's just uncool and if 10 lbs or a beard or some other minor change is enough to freak me out then I'm the one who has the issues. It's his beard and he can do what he wants with it. Same with you and your body.

If you love someone then love them as a person and respect their decisions. He isn't respecting you. I hope you're able to have a conversation with him about this and come to a resolution. Please keep us updated.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    People are attracted to what they're attracted to, he's not the only man on the planet that prefers junk in the trunk I'm sure. You should do what makes you happy... whether that's appreciating your own body or enjoying your husbands appreciation for it..... it's not really fair or feasible to expect him to change what he finds attractive......but this goes way beyond that.... this is not just about him not liking you more muscular there's more going on with him. He's probably been on his way out for a while and this was a great way to make it look like your fault
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Lap dance ......end of relationship for me, I class it as se xual contact (even if there is no actual se x he still got off with another woman). Total disrespect for marriage vows and I'm out of there.

I agree though there are bigger issues than you losing weight.

I agree, A strip club or anything of that ilk would mean the end of my marriage!! That's just me though, some women have no problem with their men frequenting places like this, I'm just not one of them..
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Lap dance ......end of relationship for me, I class it as se xual contact (even if there is no actual se x he still got off with another woman). Total disrespect for marriage vows and I'm out of there.

I agree though there are bigger issues than you losing weight.

I agree, A strip club or anything of that ilk would mean the end of my marriage!! That's just me though, some women have no problem with their men frequenting places like this, I'm just not one of them..

Strip club....I don't want him going ever but he has been to one once on a lads weekend, (and i hated he went but he had no clue till they pulled up in the cab and didn't feel comfortable waiting outside with the drug dealer and hooker)...but lap dance/private dance whole different kettle of fish that shows in my mind a will to cheat a will to get se xual gratification off another person that wasn't me....its cheating.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Pics of veiny, muscular OP?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So what's going to happen in 20 years when you're older and it shows on your body?
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You have to be happy and confident in your own skin. I think he's being manipulative.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    OP are you 'much' younger than your husband? If that is the case he might be hitting his middle age crisis and seeing you looking and feeling better than ever and himself not so much from what I understood it could be triggering this weird behavior. On the other hand I do not think there is any good excuse for his actions. When you love someone and see them happy and thriving that should make you happy as well. He is being selfish. You deserve better. Think of everything, talk, but don't settle for less than what you deserve. A loving and supportive mate. Also Francl27 made excellent point of age showing on body... If he is so bothered by small superficial changes and is already deciding to sneak behind your back (lap dance) I advise you to be careful and think of yourself first. If you feel you are your best self now he should celebrate your success and not bring you down and make you feel guilty over it...someone mention emotional abuse and it sounds correct. I would not tolerate it, no one should. If he isn't willing to fix himself (you are not the 'broken' one) than it might be better to move on.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with whoever said it's controlling behavior.

So say you gain a few pounds like he wants. What do you think he'll find wrong with you the next time he gets caught with another woman?

There's absolutely nothing ok with him getting a lap dance from someone else. If he thought it was ok he would have told you about it right?

The fact he's disgusted by the sight of you is alarming. 118 now vs 122 when you met....yeah he's full of it. He wants to play around and is blaming his actions on you. Classic cheater moves.