Modification?

Options
I started doing the Jillian 6 week 6 pack. I'm having a really hard time with side planks, any modifications?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The second picture on this list of progressions would be a modified position for side planks (I'm guessing the video shows something like the fourth picture?)

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/plank-progression.html
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    Keep your bottom knee down and your top leg out for balance. Watch you don't hurt your shoulder too.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The side plank she does is with a straight arm, and my hand and shoulder have a hard time holding me up, if that makes any sense. My left is better than my right. I can do the left side ok, but the right side, I'm having a really hard time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can either keep one of your knees down, your feet spread (one in front of the other instead of on top of each other) or instead of extending your arm, rest it on your hip until you build the core/arm strength.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can either keep one of your knees down, your feet spread (one in front of the other instead of on top of each other) or instead of extending your arm, rest it on your hip until you build the core/arm strength.

how can I rest it on my hip? I have to have my arm down to keep me balanced???
  • sexymom04
    Options
    2ou1oq1w9rff.jpg

this is the side plank tha Jillian does, but not easy
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Below are some variations:

side-plank-300x230.jpg

side-plank-crank.jpg?rhihttphost=fitness.ramp.comp
    skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-kneeling-right-side-plank-1_iphone.jpg
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love 6W6P too, but I always modify this move as well. I just go down on my elbow. I love her workouts but there are just some things my body can't do, or I don't want to do. lol! :smiley: I had nerve damage in my left arm several years ago, but it has since gotten better. I don't want to do anything to aggravate it again, so I just try to modify as best as I can.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I have problems with my right shoulder from repetitive movements when I worked and at times it still flares up and I don't want to aggravate it either. I like those modifications. Thank you. The only modification she offers is bending the knee and touching the floor with the knee, but not enough for me, still too hard.

Thank you everyone, I greatly appreicate it.