HELP! Trainer upped calories by 1000?

Options

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, lots of different advice, eh?

I would freak at jumping 1000 calories in one go to...don't think I could do it.

Well FWIW there is a rule of thumb that you shouldn't eat less than body weight X 10, which for you would be 1750 calories a day. So in your shoes I think I would try that first - 1750 - then if you are still losing try bumping it 100 a day, still losing bump it another 100 a day, etc. It may well be that you can be happy and losing well on 2200, but this way the scale is less likely to jump up on you. More food is good, right? :)

I've been eating less than body weight X 10. Naughty of me..OTOH there is also another little tidbit out there that you can supposedly pull 31 calories a day from every pound of fat. Could be that number is higher than my actual, but if it is 31 calories a pound then I could theoretically eat only about 700 calories a day and still not burn through lean mass. Not going to push it that far though.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    torid10 wrote: »
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.

Looks like a target of dropping a pound a week means you should be eating 1321 calories per day at your age/height/weight. 2200 Calories a day is going to have you gaining nearly a pound a week.

25352106452_ea39e15311_o.jpg

No way. If she was bed ridden maybe...

Go ahead - feel free to play around with that calculator. That's with the pull down menu set at sedentary. Plug in the numbers and pull down the menu to the other options. The OP is trying to lose weight, so she is going to have to maintain a deficit (even with exercise) to do that.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am in a diabetes prevention program right now...and I was averaging 1300-1400 calories a day. Now my lifestyle coach (she is highly qualified) is telling me to eat 1850 calories a day. This is even with still being fairly sedentary and have not started any real workout routine. The first few days I felt miserable trying to eat so much more, and really thought that this was not going to work.

Now...it's only been 8 days eating more than I was...and I've held steady at 1.5 lbs lost for the last 3 days. It's still early, but it is showing promise....eat more to lose more. I know it sounds counter-productive...but if your trainer is licensed and trustworthy you might want to try out what they say for a little bit at least. Especially since you are on a workout routine....the more you workout the more your body needs.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Gross or net calories?

How much exercise are you doing per week?
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27,

Why do you say "No way..."? I just used the same calculator and this is what is said for me:

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active
    It said to lose 2 pounds a week, I'm at 1287 or so.
    I try to keep my Net Calories below 1300 and usually eat less than half my exercise calories back. I just started this journey, so I've seen no results yet.

But, my question is why do you say "No way" when that is what the calorie calculator is saying? Are you saying it is not a good tool?

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would give 1800 or so a go for awhile to see what happens. I wouldn't add 1000 a day for sure.

I have upped my calories in the last 6 months to fuel my workouts, and I feel like I'm on a much better track than when I tried to eat too little. I'm still losing. I'm more focused on getting fitter and less on moving the scale down as quickly as possible.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Well FWIW there is a rule of thumb that you shouldn't eat less than body weight X 10, which for you would be 1750 calories a day. So in your shoes I think I would try that first - 1750 - then if you are still losing try bumping it 100 a day, still losing bump it another 100 a day, etc. It may well be that you can be happy and losing well on 2200, but this way the scale is less likely to jump up on you. More food is good, right? :)

Total body weight x 10 is used as a rough estimate to calculate BMR for individuals who are not particularly overweight. Therefore if a person eats that amount per day (so gross calories - no eating back exercise calories) their deficit will be created through planned exercise, unconscious physical activity and energy cost of digestion. Therefore weight loss should occur.

The trainer's suggestion of 2,200 calories equates to about the OP's total body weight x 12 which is a rough estimate to calculate maintenance calories for a sedentary lifestyle. Same principle applies as above but the deficit generally comes from planned exercise. The higher calorie intake may allow the individual to do more exercise however comfortably which can be good for body composition - the eat more do more approach.

And yes, more food is a nice bonus!
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would go with what the trainer says. Mine has never been wrong when he told me I wasn't eating enough. There are so many people that think they know everything. And I had great success this past year. I listened to everything he said. Even when I didn't think it was right, but never mislead me. Just saying
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.

Looks like a target of dropping a pound a week means you should be eating 1321 calories per day at your age/height/weight. 2200 Calories a day is going to have you gaining nearly a pound a week.

But OP is not sedentary.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Francl27,

Why do you say "No way..."? I just used the same calculator and this is what is said for me:

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active
    I try to keep my Net Calories below 1300 and usually eat less than half my exercise calories back. I just started this journey, so I've seen no results yet.

But, my question is why do you say "No way" when that is what the calorie calculator is saying? Are you saying it is not a good tool?

No way because the poster suggested the OP eat at sedentary level which gives a low number. Op is not sedentary.

In your case -
    #1 - two pounds a week is too high of a goal for your stats.
    #2 - that calculator includes exercise so that is supposed to be your calorie goal, not net. If you net that, you're calorie intake will be higher, which alleviates the concern of #1.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I am 5' 3", and I lost weight from 143 to 116 lbs. I had a desk job and did no exercise. I lost the first 20 lbs eating 1400 cals at the rate of a lb/wk. While you're not going to 'die' eating a net of 1400 cals, you should be able to eat quite a lot more than that to lose 1 lb/wk.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options

But OP is not sedentary.

Exactly!

She can add her exercise burn on a daily basis based on what it is for that day and the calculated (estimated) burn, and eat back a portion of the burn being careful to maintain a deficit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Francl27,

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active

Well for one, at 5'10" and 167lbs, you're already at a healthy weight. You should not be aiming to lose 2lbs per week.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

But OP is not sedentary.

Exactly!

She can add her exercise burn on a daily basis based on what it is for that day and the calculated (estimated) burn, and eat back a portion of the burn being careful to maintain a deficit.

I don't really understand.
    Why not just use MFP then?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Francl27,

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active

Well for one, at 5'10" and 167lbs, you're already at a healthy weight. You should not be aiming to lose 2lbs per week.

So is 130 pounds for that height. ;-)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Francl27,

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active

So is 130 pounds for that height. ;-)

I'm not saying she can't lose weight, just that her goal is very aggressive considering her current weight.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I would give 1800 or so a go for awhile to see what happens. I wouldn't add 1000 a day for sure.

I have upped my calories in the last 6 months to fuel my workouts, and I feel like I'm on a much better track than when I tried to eat too little. I'm still losing. I'm more focused on getting fitter and less on moving the scale down as quickly as possible.

I agree! 2200 calories seems excessive. 1800 is what my trainer told me. I actually have MFP set to 1500, some days I eat less some days I eat more. I am still losing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Depending on your stats and activity, that could very well be appropriate. IDK...I hired my trainer/coach after a pretty exhaustive search and I trust mine implicitly...I guess it just depends on how rigorous your search and interview process was and how much you trust your coach.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Francl27,

5'10"
    167 lb.
    49 Years
    Moderately active

People answered already, but OP is not sedentary. We don't know how active she is though, but the fact that she has a trainer suggests that she exercises... so 1400 is probably too low (I'm 5'5", was 10 years older than OP when she started, and never ate under 1650 calories to get down to 132 pounds - but I weigh everything).

In your case, 2 pounds a week is way too aggressive, as people have mentioned.
  • torid10
    torid10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the advice you guys are giving me! I exercise just about every day, but I do not track how much I am burning because I don't have a way to do that. I'm hoping to invest in something soon that way I can actually see what I am burning versus what I think I am burning.

In the mean time, I think I'm going to drop my cals down to around 1600-1700. I felt fine at 1400 but I also wasn't eating anything back, so maybe I wasn't helping myself.