Running + degenerative disc?

Options
Hi there, I had back surgery about 20 years ago - my lumbar doesn't hold water very well, tends to be unstable according to my doc. It's been great the past 20 years, I know how to keep a pinched disc from progressing into a herniation. I have not had any major incidents and have zero side effects.

I have walked with no problems, but never tried running again. Anyone else been able to jog or run with this type of issue? Considering I rarely have back problems (even carrying two 9+ lb babies) I feel like jogging could be on my bucket list again.

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Should be, might be fine. I'd check with your doc, first, however.
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have degenerative disc disease and had surgery last year to repair 4 discs on my neck. I'm not a runner, however before surgery, not knowing my condition, I started the Couch-to-5K running program. That is when everything started to surface. Apparently running causes the vertebrae to compress, and since I had bad discs the compression caused the pain I was feeling. After surgery, and now with a 3 stage bracket installed in my neck, the doctor told me NO running. I can walk on the treadmill but for the sake of preserving the couple of good discs left in my neck -- I am to refrain from any exercise that causes compression of the vertebrae, otherwise I could cause further damage. And to the extreme, my surgeon suggested that I do isometric exercises instead of regular exercises, because some of the movement may aggravate the vertebrae/discs. If I were you, I would see the doctor and get an evaluation. The doctor should be able to give you a firm recommendation of where you stand concerning running, and exercise in general. Your discs are too valuable to make it a guessing game.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can't really make a general statement for everyone. In this case, people really are going to respond differently. I have a herniated L4, some other bulging discs in neck and back, but I can run fine on a treadmill (haven't done much outdoors). My wife has a bulging L4/L5 and has trouble walking.
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Herniated discs are getting pushed out of where they belong. This is from age, wear and tear, hereditary. When the disc dries out from poor hydration it shrinks. That reduces the spacing of the "cushion" between your discs. Either one causes issues under compression. Your spine is always under compression. Sitting all day compresses your spine and will push out the disc more. Walking seems to help hydration of the disc and seat it better. After any back surgery you are typically told to start walking and increase it, over any other exercise.

Running causes me problems. I have hardware and fused at L5/S1. The pounding or jarring effect hurts right down to the bone. Running on street or trail. Running across a lawn is ok. Running on a beach is about the only place it doesn't hurt. So I don't run. Running on a treadmill is more like running on a beach. At least on a good treadmill. The platform has suspension and doesn't jar your spine. So it's less painful and tends to push the herniated disc a lot less.

This is where elliptical trainers and the like come into play. Good cardio and when your legs move you never pound the ground.

Riding a bike might be a better choice. I ride 10-20 miles and have no problems at all. I trail ride and it isn't too bad. I also have a "soft tail" mountain bike so I can adjust how much the back absorbs and the rate.