Binge Eating

Options
I've always been a binge eater. Ever since I was little, I've always over-eaten and that caused some weird things psychologically to happen. Now I'm 18, and I have Binge Eating Disorder, and I have no idea how to control it because I don't have the means financially, and all the online resources for it have never really done anything for me. I'm thinking I should try appetite suppressants, but I don't want to have to do that. I don't really know what there is to be done about it anymore.

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a University which has a reduced-cost counseling center? Or any providers in the area that work on a sliding scale? Binges are not related to having a big appetite, so appetite suppressants aren't going to do anything, anyway.
  • teets19771
    teets19771 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater also, it sucks, I'm here with you!!
  • Seaghdha
    Seaghdha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a University which has a reduced-cost counseling center? Or any providers in the area that work on a sliding scale? Binges are not related to having a big appetite, so appetite suppressants aren't going to do anything, anyway.

I do have a university counseling center, but they don't do much in the way of disordered eating. I've gone once or twice and they just refer me to a "more suitable doctor." Then again, they have a team of about 5 counselors, and I've only seen one of them. Maybe I could distinctly ask for a different counselor.
  • maggiemay241
    maggiemay241 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know the struggle. I battled with an eating disorder for years, and after trying anything and everything under the sun the only thing that helped was going into a local college counseling center. It was all free and my insurance covered the medication so I highly recommend it. Good luck to you girl you can beat this.
  • StephCarlaMcClure
    StephCarlaMcClure Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me is getting the sugars out of my system. It helps a lot. Remove all, breads, pasta's, rice, really any grains, natural and artificial sugars including fruit. You can keep lemons. So high protein, some dairy (without added sugar), veg but no white potatoes.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Seaghdha wrote: »
    I've always been a binge eater. Ever since I was little, I've always over-eaten and that caused some weird things psychologically to happen. Now I'm 18, and I have Binge Eating Disorder, and I have no idea how to control it because I don't have the means financially, and all the online resources for it have never really done anything for me. I'm thinking I should try appetite suppressants, but I don't want to have to do that. I don't really know what there is to be done about it anymore.

I started a group on here for Binge Eating Disorder. You are more than welcome to look around and see if you can get help and support there.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112095-binge-eating-disorder
    That is the link to the group.
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with BED a few years ago. It took me several therapists to find one that worked well with me through my school. Once I finally found someone who I felt understood me, I began to make a lot of progress. I know this isn't much help, but I just want you to know that I get how hard it is! I used to binge eat so much in one sitting (literally thousands of calories) that I would throw up. It may also be worthwhile to try finding another therapist to work on anxiety. I think anxiety and BED usually go hand-in-hand with each other.
  • simonemsi
    simonemsi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're struggling. You are not alone. I've struggled with binge eating since I was 10 and I'm 26 now. It's gotten better slowly but I still have relapses. The most important things that help me are 1) managing stress proactively like taking walks, listening to relaxing music, mindfulness meditation, prioritizing sleep, just acknowledging to myself all the stuff in my life that are difficult 2) being patient and understanding with myself when I do binge. If I beat myself up about it, it leads right back into another binge 3) not restricting food as that's also a sure fire way to get back into the binge cycle 4) not having a weightloss goal and only focusing on one day at a time. Paradoxically I've actually lost weight by not having a weight loss goal because there's no pressure and I find myself binging less. 5) never give up! As long as you can take the next breath you can get better. I wish you luck and perseverance on your journey. Feel free to add me and reach out for support!