migraine after new workout level

Options
Hey'all! anyone else have this problem? or have any advice? When i first started working out, i went for a small jog, and had a horrible migraine afterwards... i remember telling dh that i hope that it doesnt happen after every jog lol!! it did after the 2nd time, tho it really wasnt as bad...well, i would pop a pain killer before i went for the next week or so off and on, because i was so scared of a migraine, but eventually i forgot about it, and never had any problems... now i really upped what i did today. i did a slow jog, then i sprinted 100 yards then walked back 5 times... then jogged back home... and yup, you guessed it.. been in bed for 2 hrs with a horrible migraine again. >_< ouch!!

Replies

• JoshuaHansford
    Options
    I have battled migraines since I was 3 yrs old, so I have a little experience in this area. I too, was experiencing migraines after intense workouts until I drastically increased my water intake. I went from 64 oz a day up to 120-180 oz a day. I found this made all of the difference for me when it comes to staving off the post workout migraines.

As you probably know migraine types,symptoms, and triggers are different for everybody. But, you may want to try doubling your water intake and seeing if it helps.

Hope you get some relief and God Bless you!
  • Meljeanp
    Meljeanp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. Alot of the time for me, it was because I was not hydrated enough as I thought I was. Just keep note of how much water you are taking in. I know this was my solution, and like I said, it worked for me. Best of luck, I know how much of a pain in the rear it is to get migraines. Don't let it get you down! Keep your chin up!
  • noellabella
    noellabella Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I suffer from terrible migraines. And have done a lot of research.
    I would say first and foremost make sure you're hydrated, this'll be the main trigger. it usually takes three triggers to make a migraine, so if you are sensitive to any particular foods, maybe avoid them when you want to go work out. Or if it's a menstrual thing plan the days you want to rest. It could be the elevated blood pressure too, take an asprin or two half an hour before you jog, see if any of that helps...

Noella
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem if I don't stay hydrated. I try to drink 1.3-1.5 gallons of water a day. Trust me, your body needs it.
  • LynnieSkinny
    Options
    I have migraines as well and I agree with everybody on here that staying hydrated is the very best solution I have found. For me though, I have to have VERY cold water. If my body gets too hot for too long then I get them. If I get too hot I drink ice water and if that doesn't work... a cold shower! It must cool me down quicker...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    YES!! It is keeping me from getting back into the swing of hitting it hard. No answers from any doctor-and I have seen them all.

I take a baby aspirin for my heart and it seems to help the migraine thing.

I also made a huge life change recently and my stress level is down. So are the migraines.

My only advise, added to what others have already said, is to start slow and work your way up. Keep a diary of WHEN it happens. Like is it the morning, after you eat, before you eat, not much water, time of day.

Good luck!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My migraine triggers are the same....being dehydrated, too much sodium, change in weather (is cold one day and super hot the next). I have some meds for it and also have a nasal spray (I haven't had a chance to try it yet) that my dr prescribed.

Be sure to note in your food journal when you're getting a migraine, that's what I did on my dr's orders.

My dr suspects I have "overlapping triggers" whatever THAT means, but she did gave me a referral from my doctor to see an acupunturist for my migraines.

I am hoping that really helps!
  • manda2j
    manda2j Posts: 63
    Options
    thanks! you're all prbly right... i have the habit of seeing that water glass on 8 and thinking im good for the day lol... and today was a hot day and i went out in the middle of the day with the sun beating down.. Stupid!! thanks for the tips... i'll remember them next time i want to up it a notch ;)
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I some how got my water intake to about 12 glasses a day and notice when I am at only 9, I have a headache. Here, it is starting to get hotter and I guess I need that. I do experience migraines, but they come with stress and other triggers. They are no fun. See about hydrating really well before your workout to start it out right and keep on drinking. I hope you can find some way to make them go away!