When I'm good, I'm really good. When I'm bad I'm really bad

Hello all! My name is Karen and I am new to the community feature of Fitness Pal. I am 5'9 and weigh 141 pounds. I was obese at one time and lost 60 pounds in 2years time several years ago by manually logging the food I ate and the calories I burned through exercise.
This post is for those of us that either get up and start the day focused and "behave" by exercising and making good food choices, (many times exercising obsessively)- which some deem as an anorexic trait, or the total opposite--- no exercise, free for all with food choices and stays off fitness pal to avoid accountability. I know I am in need of finding a healthy balance but need support to do so! If you can identify, please reply.

Replies

• happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    To be honest, I think more people suffer from this problem that they will admit.
    It's kinda an all or nothing thing.
    When I'm 'good' I'm all over it, then I go wild and be 'bad' and dedicate myself all the way.
    I'm practicing trying to find a happy medium.
  • Katherinewalters8
    Katherinewalters8 Posts: 12 Member
    I think for me, without the workout, I feel such a void in my day it leads to a "what the heck attitude". Then anything goes with my food options. Peanut m&m's are my go to as well as salty snacks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Yeah, I think this is a fairly common problem. A lot of people eat a high calorie meal, or have a treat after restricting too hard, and then just go off the rails for the rest of the day. The key to a deficit and maintenance is adherence, and with that comes balance. You are right. It is so important.

You could start with possibly adjusting your mindset about food. For instance, don't label any food or style of eating as "good" or "bad". This way, if you eat a packet of m&m's you can say "Well, I'm closer to my carb and fat goal for the day." From there you plan your next meal accordingly. You weren't BAD...you just ate food.
  • UhOh_ItsKylie
    UhOh_ItsKylie Posts: 4 Member
    I am so with you, sister! I have always described myself as an "extreme personality". I am either exercising religiously and eating clean, or I am doing nothing at all and eating everything in sight with the "screw it" attitude. Currently trying to find a healthy balance as well. Let's be buds! :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I think you guys would really like some of the topics covered in the Half Size Me podcast. There are quite a few episodes about finding balance and motivation, etc. Plus you can listen to it while you take a walk or do something active :)

http://www.halfsizeme.com/category/podcast/
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    This happens to me when I try to do too much too fast. This is true of any change I make, and often those changes effect one another. For instance, I started flossing every day last week (my new habit for the month), and the third day (once it had sunk in that I'd be flossing every day) I ate the house. This week it seems more normal, and my attitude hasn't gone out of control. I won't be reintroducing a new behavior anytime soon, though :)
  • adaffern
    adaffern Posts: 161 Member
    Oh Karen, I was so there a few years ago. I would "lie" to my diary if I didn't eat something that was a smart choice. This new journey for me has me much more focused on the purpose of logging and being honest to myself and those who support me on MFP. I even logged the piece of birthday cake I had on Saturday. I didn't finish the entire piece because I felt satisfied. That was a success in itself for me because usually I would eat it all because I would feel sad if I wasted it..."What if I never got another piece of cake again??"

Feel free to add me for more support! I know I can use support from wherever it may be. Have a beautiful day!!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    OP, you've clearly struck a chord with a few of us. I hate to say that my wife and I are pretty much the exact same way. It's either perfection and motivation and awesomeness, or beer drinking on the couch without exercise for a week. I'm looking forward to reading others' posts. Luck and health to you all.