Feeling Sick During Floor Exercises

Options
bbop10
bbop10 Posts: 59 Member
It's hard for me to do any floor exercise without feeling incredibly sick. I would love to do Pilates, even attempted yesterday, but I got too sick. I feel fine with cardio and weights, but for some reason, once I'm moving around on the floor, I get nauseous. Can anyone else relate? If so, how did you overcome this?

Replies

• datafan
    datafan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you take any supplements, but I get that way over time if I'm taking anything that contains creatine and not drinking enough water.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Is this the first time this happened? I know it is the first time you tried pilates, but has it happened with similar stuff? If it just happened that one time, I'd assume it was just coincidence that it happened on the floor and try again.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Do you have any ongoing neurological or inner ear issues? I have basilar type migraines (symptoms of a major attack look like a stroke), and can no longer do anything inverted.
  • bbop10
    Options
    datafan wrote: »
    I don't know if you take any supplements, but I get that way over time if I'm taking anything that contains creatine and not drinking enough water.

I'm currently not taking any supplements. I wonder if it's lack of water. That's something I can do--I'll try drinking more water. Thanks!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Do you have any other symptoms, like nasal or sinus congestion? Blood pressure issues? It is most likely to be something else, not the floor exercises themselves.
  • bbop10
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »
    Is this the first time this happened? I know it is the first time you tried pilates, but has it happened with similar stuff? If it just happened that one time, I'd assume it was just coincidence that it happened on the floor and try again.

It's not just Pilates, it's all floor exercises, unfortunately. Doing sit-ups, push-ups, etc, I feel sick.
  • bbop10
    Options
    Do you have any ongoing neurological or inner ear issues? I have basilar type migraines (symptoms of a major attack look like a stroke), and can no longer do anything inverted.

I don't believe i do, but I have read similar things about inner ear issues and floor exercises and feeling nauseous.
  • bbop10
    Options
    Do you have any other symptoms, like nasal or sinus congestion? Blood pressure issues? It is most likely to be something else, not the floor exercises themselves.

I do have sinus issues, that can be the cause? Not sure about my blood pressure.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Are you eating before exercising? I know that I cannot eat anything at least an hour before exercising. If I have eaten closer to working out I feel sick when I am on the floor too, more so than when I am lifting or doing cardio.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    bbop10 wrote: »

I don't believe i do, but I have read similar things about inner ear issues and floor exercises and feeling nauseous.

Hopefully it's nothing major - I can honestly say not doing anything inverted has cut me way back on what I am able to do.
  • caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm the same way. Nothing wrong as far as my doctor says. I just sort of ignored it for the longest time. Then I was in a Yoga class in the ending pose (Corpse pose flat on my back) and my teacher came around and took my sweat towel, folded it up and put it under my head right at the base. Immediately the sick feeling went away.

I mentioned it after class and she said that she could tell I was out of line. I didn't think to press further as to what she meant. I just wanted her to know how grateful I was. For whatever reason it works for me. I now take a folded up hand towel with me to Pilates and all Yoga classes and I slip it under my head whenever I'm going to be on my back. If I forget to I instantly feel sick.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I have sinus issues too that affect my inner ear and I have the same issue sometimes. I have not found a cure, but I have found that it's worse when I move from standing to lying down and then back again too quickly. So I just move more slowly when changing positions.
  • bbop10
    Options
    caednkat wrote: »
    I'm the same way. Nothing wrong as far as my doctor says. I just sort of ignored it for the longest time. Then I was in a Yoga class in the ending pose (Corpse pose flat on my back) and my teacher came around and took my sweat towel, folded it up and put it under my head right at the base. Immediately the sick feeling went away.

I mentioned it after class and she said that she could tell I was out of line. I didn't think to press further as to what she meant. I just wanted her to know how grateful I was. For whatever reason it works for me. I now take a folded up hand towel with me to Pilates and all Yoga classes and I slip it under my head whenever I'm going to be on my back. If I forget to I instantly feel sick.

I'm going to give this a try. I hope it helps. Thanks for sharing!
  • caednkat
    caednkat Posts: 38 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I'm going to give this a try. I hope it helps. Thanks for sharing!
    [/quote]

I hope it does! It's such a tiny trick but it does wonders for me. :)
  • CoachKatie814
    CoachKatie814 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It can be from a variety of issues, but the most common are inner ear problems, sinus issues, blood sugar, blood pressure, or spinal misalignment. You could try seeing a chiropractor if you don't have any of the other issues (similar to putting a towel under your head to correct an alignment problem). Otherwise not eating enough before your workout or eating too much can cause problems. Hope you find something that can help!
  • bbop10
    Options
    It can be from a variety of issues, but the most common are inner ear problems, sinus issues, blood sugar, blood pressure, or spinal misalignment. You could try seeing a chiropractor if you don't have any of the other issues (similar to putting a towel under your head to correct an alignment problem). Otherwise not eating enough before your workout or eating too much can cause problems. Hope you find something that can help!

Thank you for the help! I really appreciate it!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Think about if you're holding your breath for certain movements, or if you're closing your eyes. I used to make both mistakes when doing crunches, push ups, planks, and pilates videos.

If there's nothing major wrong it could be this simple. It was for me!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Think about if you're holding your breath for certain movements, or if you're closing your eyes. I used to make both mistakes when doing crunches, push ups, planks, and pilates videos.

If there's nothing major wrong it could be this simple. It was for me!
    I was just going to post this.
    When I first started floor exercises, I was holding my breath at certain points and was also feeling sick as well as the neck tension/headache.

It could also be a hydration or electrolyte issue.

• bbop10
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the tips. I have an update! Yesterday I tried Pilates again and felt so much better. I took your advice to drink more water, I ate a little before the workout, and I placed a towel underneath my head. I didn't feel nearly as sick and I was able to finish the whole workout.

Thank you so much! MFP is awesome!
  • roxducharme
    roxducharme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bbop10 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for the tips. I have an update! Yesterday I tried Pilates again and felt so much better. I took your advice to drink more water, I ate a little before the workout, and I placed a towel underneath my head. I didn't feel nearly as sick and I was able to finish the whole workout.

Thank you so much! MFP is awesome!

I have the same problem. I know it's many years later but I just saw your message. Did drinking more water and putting a towel under your head fix your problem for good?