Struggling to eat more on workout days

Options
I entered in my food for today, and I earned about 300 calories from working out for an hour today, give or take. With more of a calorie deficit now, this leaves me with 700 calories left for the evening. What am I supposed to do?!? This happens when I work out.

Replies

• ksteak
    ksteak Posts: 6
    Options
    I would say eat if you're hungry, but don't feel like you have to eat all of the calories. It's never a problem for me, though!
  • projectreturns
    projectreturns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great problem to have!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i always have calories left over at the end of the day sometimes 300 or more, dont sweat it, just eat until satisfied and call it a night.
  • therequiiem
    therequiiem Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That's my problem lately though. I have been eating about 1200 calories for about a month now and am now at a stall since I started exercising a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I need to up my calories, and eat back all my exercise calories to get out of this plateau!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is to eat back about half of them. That way if you overestimated your burn, or underestimated your intake, you will still be ok, and still get the nutrition you need.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals so you'll eat more earlier on workout days. A little bigger breakfast, a little bigger lunch, etc.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Thank you. That's my problem lately though. I have been eating about 1200 calories for about a month now and am now at a stall since I started exercising a few weeks ago. Now I feel like I need to up my calories, and eat back all my exercise calories to get out of this plateau!

Almost certainly.
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started exercising. Try low fat cheese and wheat crackers - a good lean protien and a carb. Or go for shredded cheese on corn chips (bake @ 350 till cheese melted) or low fat popcorn. Good luck!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Drink your workout calories! A protein shake is almost always perfect - the protein is great for muscle recovery, and it's easy to make a shake in the 200-400 calorie range depending on what you put in it.

Fast and easy and doesn't take up alot of volume in the stomach if you're not feeling hungry, but the protein will keep you from feeling hungry and eating more later too!

Win, win, win!!!
  • therequiiem
    Options
    Yeah you are right, I've been trying to do that but clearly not enough. I get paranoid when I eat more than I am used to. But I will have to do it.
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    i try to eat a protein shake t night after my workouts to help with the calorie deficit and like others said i have a basic routine and know how many calories i possibly will burn and eat according during the day
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sometimes feeding the plateau is the right thing to do. My body plateaus every 9 pounds, and it's starting the gain a pound / lose it back / then gain it again dance that it does.

I am trying to feed it a few more calories this time (but not overindulge) to see if I can get over it.

Good luck !
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals so you'll eat more earlier on workout days. A little bigger breakfast, a little bigger lunch, etc.

This is what I do. I know what days I'm going to burn more so I eat more during the day.
  • therequiiem
    Options
    Mine has been doing that too for about three weeks, SO frustrating... most of the time though, it's that same exact number in the morning.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Drink your workout calories! A protein shake is almost always perfect - the protein is great for muscle recovery, and it's easy to make a shake in the 200-400 calorie range depending on what you put in it.

Fast and easy and doesn't take up alot of volume in the stomach if you're not feeling hungry, but the protein will keep you from feeling hungry and eating more later too!

Win, win, win!!!

absolutely -- I was going to suggest this also-- :smooched:
  • therequiiem
    Options
    What protein do you suggest? I bought Jillian Michaels whey protein mix and hated it with water.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This is usually what I do. I know about how many calories I burn with various workouts, so I try to eat more on those days with higher calorie snacks as well.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I like the Muscle Milk Light meal replacement shakes. They taste pretty good. I also like the Blender Bottle. This little bottle has a whisk in it that shakes out all the clumps when you mix with water. This helps the flavor a lot in my opinion.

--Carter
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ETA - I love the eating back half idea. Very clever.

I'm pretty sure I'm the ONLY person that depends on those workout calories. On days I can't work out, I'm absolutely FAMISHED and NEVER under my calories.

I think I'll start eating cotton. Worked for my mom when she was a prima ballerina. =\
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm the ONLY person that depends on those workout calories. On days I can't work out, I'm absolutely FAMISHED and NEVER under my calories.

I'm similar, usually I totally depend on eating back the exercise calories - but today I burned off about 1500 cals in the gym, I'm off to bed now, I can't think of anything else to eat and I've still got about 1,000 calories left to eat. Usually on non-workout days I am lost and well over target!!! xx