Recipes for the fiance of a meat , potatoes and beer man!!!

Options
MrsLeonard2016
MrsLeonard2016 Posts: 50 Member
My future hubby decided be wants to try and be healthier. While I am very excited to bring him to the dark side of healthy eating I know it will be a challenge. I am an old fashioned kinda gal and like to do all the housework and cooking and still work my full time job. I am in need of healthy/hearty/no green stuff recipes to cook up for him! Preferably things that aren't insanely time consuming like churning my own butter but still taste awesome and are healthier! Please post whatever you have! And any tips on helping the man be healthier without being condescending would rock too!
Thanks in advance, and feel free to add me :)

Replies

• kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well butter is extremely calorie dense, so you should probably not use butter if its weight loss hes after :p
    But i honestly cant see how your hubby can be healthier if he refuses to eat greens. I mean meat is essential too, but you cant attain optimal health by only eating fats and protein. And not to mention vitamins and stuff.

maybe you could provide a bit more info on what hes after? :)
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Are there any veggies he does like?
    Just those on the side of his meat and potatoes works.
    Soups where veggies are puréed up
    Stews, tagine, chilli , casseroles , curries from Indian, southafrican to Thai
    All the above can contain a balance of macros
    Does he like a favourite type of cuisine?
  • kittenonmars
    kittenonmars Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ohh! i know! Sausage with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes xD
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    1.pot roast in the crock pot with root veggies. Just make sure to trim the fat off the top of the roast before eating it.
    2. Tacos! Who doesn't like tacos. Use a leaner meat like 90/10. He'll never know the difference. Then you can add a bunch of tomatos and lettuce and guac.
    3. Baked Potato Bar. Get the big baking potatoes. Wrap each in tinfoil and throw them in the crockpot all day. For dinner serve them with broccoli, cheese, bacon, shredded chicken, whatever he likes.
    4. Roast a pork loin with some apples carrots and potatoes.
    5. Rice Bowls. Cook some brown rice. Add whatever leftovers you've got. We are having this tonight with pulled pork on top for the protien. I'll also put out some lite cole slaw, apples, radishes and I'll make some sort of dressing. Rice bowls without a sauce or dressing are just sad in my opinion. Normally I'd use the left over juice from the pork and make a pan sauce, but I cooked this last week so we will likely use italian dressing since this was like a porcetta.

I have to do all these things with my kids. The trick is to get them to take some of everything (like veggies) but let them think they made their own decisions.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here are some "manly" meat and potato kind of meals. You can add a veggie side or salad to round them out. Don't forget you can grill or broil just about any protein(with a variety of seasonings) and add a brown rice or sweet potato for a nice meal. Look up sheet pan meals. Lots of ideas out there for cooking a whole meal in the oven on one sheet pan. The Domestic Geek has a few recipes. I love the fajita one.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/roasted-chicken-in-bundt-pan.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/pork-chops-and-rice.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/all-american-meatloaf.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/wendys-chili.html