How often should I weigh myself?

Options
bigrob037
bigrob037 Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2016 in Chit-Chat
Ive been weighing myself every day and I heard that was too much.. I've heard that weighing yourself once or twice a week is good. How often do you guys do it?

Replies

• samanthalyons398
    samanthalyons398 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I would only weigh myself every week usually on a Monday morning, every day is too much
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    For weight loss or gain?
  • minniesb69
    minniesb69 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Im on a weight loss mission and I weigh daily as part of the scale down program. They say daily weigh ins are best because you get to see how ur actions the day before affect ur weight and make adjustments.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Monday. Weighing every time I'm at the gym is tempting but ehhh
  • sabrina_dolce
    sabrina_dolce Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Mon & Fri. Always first thing in the morning (same time)
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    I think it depends to some extent on the individual. I weigh myself every day as there can be fluctuations from day to day so i don't want to take my progress based on one single day. But I don't get hung up on the numbers whereas some people do and they freak out.
  • elsie289
    elsie289 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily most of the time but I only record my weight "officially" weekly. I choose Wednesdays (far enough from the weekend slip ups. LOL! )

My weight can fluctuate by pounds due to a lot of different factors, so I try to just pay attention to the weekly weights- and if there is a downward trend overall, I'm happy!

Also, if I go off track with my eating, more times than not, it doesn't show on the scale the next day. usually 2 days delay.
  • bigrob037
    bigrob037 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    For weight loss or gain?

Loss
  • GymnasticsMommy
    GymnasticsMommy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every friday :smile:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    At first I weighed weekly because that's what worked for me. Now I weigh daily because I understand the fluctuations and it helps me to understand how different things affect my body.

Do what works for you. Some people don't like daily weigh-ins because they become upset when they see it go up, or they become obsessive.
  • bethk779
    bethk779 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week at the same time. Also, have the same clothing on (otherwise there could be a slight differential). I used to obsess and weigh myself multiple times a day, but i learned that was not beneficial, or healthy.
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week, Mondays always first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking. Always in my pj's bc it is the lightest clothing.
  • Zeus727
    Zeus727 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bigrob037 wrote: »
    Ive been weighing myself every day and I heard that was too much.. I've heard that weighing yourself once or twice a week is good. How often do you guys do it?

I also do everyday it helps me measure my everyday progress about what food worked and energy testing levels.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and consider my stats by looking at the month as a whole. To me, weekly weigh-ins make no sense. What if you weigh in on a low day one week and a high one the next? It might look like you're not losing when you are, and you might change your behaviour when you didn't need to.

That said, if you look at the daily fluctuations as meaning too much, it won't be good for you either. Apparently though, two countries that recommended daily weigh-ins, France and Japan, are amongst the best at controlling their weight.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    GymRatSF wrote: »
    I think it depends to some extent on the individual. I weigh myself every day as there can be fluctuations from day to day so i don't want to take my progress based on one single day. But I don't get hung up on the numbers whereas some people do and they freak out.

^^This.

I do the same at the moment - But I also have times where the weight means nothing to me so I don't weight for weeks on end.

Currently: changed my work outs significantly and I need to make recovery a priority so I want to eat enough but not so much as I pile on fat - hence daily weighing and take an average.
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the same time . I do it every Monday morning after I have showered
  • ajaysharma316
    ajaysharma316 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I weight daily, as it helps to keep myself in control. Even a slight increase in my weight makes me alert and I rethink eating even the smallest things on that day.
  • dalem54494
    dalem54494 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning for me.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, sometimes once every two weeks. I can feel if I am up or down just in how I feel and the way my clothes fit. I weigh myself on the same scale at the gym, same time and same day of the week!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    bigrob037 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    For weight loss or gain?

Loss

Once a week. I'm pretty dialed in on how my body is and already know when the last time I've used the restroom.