hair question

Options
so, since I've started this weight loss in December, I've noticed something: when I shower, I seem to be losing a few strands of hair. not only that, but after showering, when I brush my hair (gently of course, since I'm tender headed), even more strands come out. at least 15-20. I've never had this much hair loss before. right now, my doctor has me on metformin, but I don't think that's the cause. anyone have any ideas? I've recently cut out some fruits and a few veggies (at least cut down on the veggies) which would be bananas (haven't had one in half a year) and potatoes. is there a vitamin that I am missing? any help or suggestions would be grateful. not really feeling a doctors visit to be put on even more medication. thanks!

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist, and on average a person loses about 80-100 hairs a day.....that being said, if your hair has grown, you may be losing the same amount, just the *ball* of hairis larger becaues of the longer strands....

plus summer is here and you are more likely to shed in the summer time than in the winter

if you feel its that big of a problem, take prenatal vitamins and you should be fine
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Are you taking in healthy fat?
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    Have you been very stressed lately? Stress can do a lot of really crazy things to your body, including hair loss.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Trust me, that's perfectly healthy. You might just be noticing it more now or maybe it's because you're getting healthier.
  • jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yeah, i do take in healthier fats. i'm trying to get more fish in my diet (it's hard when my other half isn't a big fan). i try to eat lean meats, like chicken and lean red meats. it's mainly the carbohydrates my doctor wants me to stay away from, at least in moderation.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I'm a hairstylist, and on average a person loses about 80-100 hairs a day.....that being said, if your hair has grown, you may be losing the same amount, just the *ball* of hairis larger becaues of the longer strands....

plus summer is here and you are more likely to shed in the summer time than in the winter

if you feel its that big of a problem, take prenatal vitamins and you should be fine
    Oh my god thank you for posting this because I was a bit worried about how much hair I lost.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yeah, i do take in healthier fats. i'm trying to get more fish in my diet (it's hard when my other half isn't a big fan). i try to eat lean meats, like chicken and lean red meats. it's mainly the carbohydrates my doctor wants me to stay away from, at least in moderation.

I would make sure you are tracking healthy fat intake closely. If you are eating really lean meat that isn't going to have fat and lean red beef is saturated fat, which isn't necessarily bad, but omega 3s and 6s CAN help with that so make sure you are getting in your salmon, omega eggs, or taking a good fish oil supplement.

It isn't always healthy to be losing hair. If the additional fat doesn't remedy the issue then I would recommend having blood work done. I've had the same issues and ended up having something that was easily fixed with the right doctor and right supplementation.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Biotin 5000 mcg
  • jmlitton33
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    any chance you are low in iron? anemic?
    low iron levels can result in loss of hair as well as tiredness, dizzy/lightheaded at times.

i definitely had thinning hair in the last year especially, and since i started taking iron (as well as biotin) , i have DEFINITELY seen more new hair growth, less loss, (plus i rarely feel tired the way i used to *S*)

work getting your iron checked *S*
  • babyweight123
    Options
    have you colored your hair lately? I know that sounds funny but if your hair is darker than it normally is, you'll notice it more when it comes out. Not that MORE is coming out, you'll just notice it more since it's darker. just a thought. :D
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Are you on the metformin for PCOS? Talk to your doc bc female baldness is actually a PCOS symptom. And metformin actually blocks certain nutrients so that *could* have something to do with it (I can't recall which off the top of my head, though.)

Or it could be nothing!! :P

Hope it gets worked out!!
  • Amanda2760
    Amanda2760 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Never even thought about taking prenatal vitamins for hair loss! I may have to try that!

Another thing I notice, is that I loose more hair when I've been wearing it up for a few days. If I wear it in a pony tail for a few days in a row, more of it seems to fall out when I take it down. From what you've said, it may not be that I'm actually loosing more hair but just seems like it because it was up and the hair had nowhere to go until I took it down. Where as when it's down I may not see how much is lost. VERY helpful!
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Biotin 5000 mcg

THIS!
  • jmlitton33
    Options
    the metformin is for pcos, actually.
  • licha75
    licha75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You might want to get your thyroid tested. About 60% or more of women with PCOS become hypothyroid. Hypothyroidism can cause female hairloss/balding (which is why hairloss can be a PCOS symptom...like high tryglycerides.)