BODYPUMP! Will it get easier!!

Options
Hi everyone. I went to my first BODYPUMP class today (first time I've exercised in months) and I knew it would be hard but I physically could not do some of the moves. I am hugely overweight so knew I would struggle ( although I could not do some bits I continued to attemp them as refused to give up!)

The thing is, I actually loved the classe but I just want to know if anyone else has had this experience and have they eventually been able to do the moves properly before increasing weights?

Replies

• aportz
    aportz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's hard when you start but you will get better at it. Form is very important so make sure you can maintain good form before you increase weght. Talk to the instructor. They are usually very helpful in giving modifications that may help you. And good for you for hanging in there!!!!!
  • lbjones2
    lbjones2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I made sure to try and focus on form and the instructor gave me a few pointers during! I just struggle with lunges at the moment but I am assuming that is due to my weight! I will definitely be going back as I felt great after and was glad I finally went after a few years of wanting to but being to scared!!! X
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yes it gets easier, but pace yourself. don't try and keep up with the people that have been doing it much longer. and you dont have to do all the reps they are doing. Just do a couple reps of each exercise for a while , you'll build endurance and get better at it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    for lunges, if you are struggling don't use the bar on your back, do them without the bar, or take an empty bar and hold it perpendicular on the floor next do you to steady you, like a crutch or a cane. You can also practice lunges by holding onto a TRX if you gym has one.
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Body Pump was always my favorite class at the gym. It gets easier and a whole lot more fun. Find an instructor that you like - I pick based on his/her music choice! Good for you going for the gold right out the gate! That's what worked for me too. After only a month of the classes, I was doing 45 min cardio before, and 25 min of light cardio after. I LOVE BODY PUMP and the results are amazing!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will get easier. You'll move up in weight. Eventually you'll move up so far that you'll quit going because you need to lift heavier out in the gym!
  • mbilancini
    mbilancini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have problems with lunges due to ankle stability. Sometimes I would switch to squats if lunges weren't working for me. I agree with the suggestion to not use the weight on your back at first. Work on getting the move down, and then add the weight. When I belonged to a gym, Body Pump was my favorite class :) Keep at it, you'll be great!
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Yes, it will get easier. You'll move up in weight. Eventually you'll move up so far that you'll quit going because you need to lift heavier out in the gym!

^^^ this!
    Keep at it and you'll love it and definitely get better. Eventually you'll get the lifting bug and move out into the gym!
  • emilyp121
    emilyp121 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing body pump for a number of years but I just don't seem to be getting any stronger or more toned! I love the class though
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Everything gets easier with time. Your job is to keep showing up.

I suggest that you keep going, at a realistic rate. I personally suggest 3 times a week, with at least 1 rest day in between classes. Exercise can be very broadly broken down into two phases - when you exercise and stress the body, and when you recover from said exercise and rebuild better than before. Bodypump will stress your body, and the subsequent rest day will result in improvement.

Do this for a while, and eventually your body will need more stress to force the adaptive response (i.e. you will have to use more weight/work out harder/go an extra day/ etc.) But remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Just keep showing up 2-3 times a week, and do so in the long run.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Body Pump definitely gets easier, and after 2-3 times, you won't have that torturous soreness that lingers for a week afterwards lol. I love body pump and have done it on and off for years, and just recently started again. Like others have said, you will transition to lifting heavier weights in the gym, if you stick with it. For me, I do both, I do two body pumps a week and lift heavy one day. I will say this...nothing changes my body faster than body pump!