Seasoning up some rice quesion

Options
I'm marinating some chicken breasts and would like to serve them over a bed of rice. When I cook my rice. if i throw in some of the (dry) seasoned marinade with my water...will that give it a nice flavor or mess it up?

Thanks! (Im not a cook...but I'm learning)

Replies

• sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    Options
    I cook mine in chicken stock instead of water sometimes to give it a little extra flavor!
  • cubanita28
    cubanita28 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm good question - I would be afraid that it would not dissolve and might be grainy. I add powdered chicken bouillon to my water and sometimes green onions and corn and it tastes delicious. You just have to be careful not to add to much of the chicken bouillon because it can be salty. Hopefully your meal turns out great!
  • AmbitiouslyMe
    Options
    i put dry seasoning in with my rice and it gives it a great taste, its trial and error as to how much you put in.
    boiling them with a stock cube is another way of getting flavour in there.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You can throw anything into the water to season it. Just make sure it doesn't have a lot of sodium in it. I use low sodium chicken Broth, Chili powder, saute onion and garlic clove, or a mixture of seasonings I am using in the rest of the meal. Depends on the meal.
  • avassos
    avassos Posts: 12
    Options
    I always throw in some jerk seasoning sauce..... I'm not sure about the dry stuff, but sauces work really well. I also use beef flavour cubes that dissolve in the water. My way with rice, if it is something that dissolves in water it will absorb into the rice, so experiment and have fun, you'd be surprised on how easy it is to change the flavour of rice. :)
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My mom used to toss in chopped green onions, mushrooms (yes, canned) and a bit of parm into rice. One of my favorite combos!
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm always playing up my rice:

Boil in water & when done throw some lime juice and fresh cilantro in it
    Boil in chicken broth with lemon juice and thyme (my favorite)
    Boil in chicken broth with salsa and cumin

I'm sorry I don't have any measurements, I usually just kind of throw it in there to taste.
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I use chicken broth all the time so I wondered was seasonings/marinades would do....I'm trying it and I'm sure it will be just fine... thanks for the ideas! I really like the salsa idea!