New and need motivation

Options
hi all,

I am trying to lose weight for the 23409820394809324 time and i really want to do it this time, but i always lose interest or give in to the foods and or am not motivated to excersice.. does anyone have any tips for motivation?

I was in many sports in high school then I went to college and gained so much weight since my freshman 20 it sickens me. I am definately a stress eater and I know I should just take a walk if Im stressed but I just need motivation.

Replies

• wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Found the right spot for motivation...MFP is full of encouragement. As for exercise, change it up....do different routines to make it interesting.
  • nleidelmeyer23
    Options
    I am in the same boat.. I started school and gained like 15 pounds. I have tried to lose weight so many times, but I never stick with it.. It always helps to have a work out partner!
  • angie_04
    angie_04 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Well you've come to the right place for support:happy: I hope u like it here nd u can befriend me if you'd like:flowerforyou:
  • CindyWho4
    CindyWho4 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have a TERRIBLE time sticking to things, but I'm on day 13 with MFP and still feel really motivated. This is a first for me, I've never made it even 5 days before. Hopefully this site will help you as much as it's helped me. Good luck!
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it took me about a month to really develop good habits. I'd do good for a day..then head to McDonalds the next (haha). My key to success? I KEPT WITH IT. Even if it took 2 steps forward, 1 step (or even 2!) back I kept on a chugging. And now, 6 months later, slowing but surely Im reaching my goals and changing my lifestyle.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi!!

I can relate both to the attempts and being a stress eater. I would encourage you to try to get as many stressers out of the way as possible. Second, before you reach for (I'm my case candy or chips) do take a walk. 10 minutes is powerful! ! If afterwards you still want to eat, grab an apple and some water. Try a relaxation CD or Pick up yoga. I actually just started it recently and I really like it. Very calming.

Best of luck to you!!
  • Brandi78
    Brandi78 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! I am new here as well and the EXACT same as you when it comes to trying and ultimately failing and falling prey to bad food choices. I am only on day two but my husband and I are making the decision to stick with this. It really helps when you can input everything in to see where you are over and under. I was so surprised to see how much sugar I intake on a daily basis. This website is so helpful. We can all do this together!!! I would say maybe try and drink a whole bunch of water when you feel like stress eating or come on here or if possible go for a quick little walk or do some jumping jacks or push ups. It's hard sometimes... I know... and sometimes these things are easier said than done but just keep trying and don't get discouraged if you stumble :) Take care!
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat out of stress or boredom. I have found tracking my food to be a HUGE motivator to stop me from doing that. I tend to eat mindlessly...just snacking all afternoon because I am stressed or because I am not really fully engaged in what I am doing. Knowing how many calories I am actually eating has been a big time game changer for me. I recommend you log in and track everything you are eating...even when you aren't eating well.

Friend me if you would like...it is really helpful to have like minded people to head down this path with...
  • CindyWho4
    CindyWho4 Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree about having level heads to help. The news feed thing on my profile helps a ton, too. I don't want to be the ONE PERSON that posts that I was over my calorie goal, or not posting that I didn't exercise. I am really horrible liar, it eats at me, so checking the news feed is a huge motivator lol
  • shelly8625
    Options
    thanks so much everyone for the responses!! I feel alot of support here :)
  • mstlunsford
    Options
    I so understand what you are going through! Trust me! I have been on here in the past, gave up and I'm back again..I have been trying to diet for so long and I have a horrible time sticking to it!!!!!!!! I'm doing my best again, we can help with encouraging words :-) Its difficult, but we can do this! If u look at my diary you will notice I haven't done so well again, lol, but I try to atleast stay in my calorie intake....which is so low...lol..
    Good Luck hun
    You're more than welcome to add me if u like..I don't have any friends yet this time around..
  • hbarton711
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for about 11 months now and I love it! I counted my calories RELIGIOUSLY for the first... 7-8 months I guess and now it's become such second nature I don't have to log it anymore! Find a fitness program you like! For me it was anything Dance! I do Zumba, Hip Hop Hustle, and Dance Jam at my gym! I love the beat, the moves and how inspiring the people and instructors are! Find something you LOVE to do (cycling, step, running) and choose to master it! :)