fallen off wagon for a weekend and can see it going back on?

Options
Hi all,
I'm new here. i've been using the diary for 2 months but am new to the community. I hope you're all
well.

I've been really good and making a very definite life change by working out and counting calories so i can fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes and ultimately be slimmer/fitter on my wedding day this coming summer. I've lost 13lbs since January, have lost quite a lot of inches and have got muscle tone developing.

The problem is i have eaten nothing but fatty foods this weekend (cream teas, homemade brownie, pizza, takeaway curry, prosecco etc). it's been a weekend of celebrating birthdays and Mother's Day.... absolutely lovely and delicious but now I feel like all my hard work has been undone. As if I can actually feel the fat coming back. Am I being an idiot? is it really possibly to undo all my efforts over 3 days (even if I did workout for 2 of those days?)
Why do I feel bigger?

I hope I'm making sense...

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds in 2 months of being on MFP. However, right now I'm sitting at my desk eating fried chicken tenders and french fries. Because sometimes, you just have to give in and let go. I was sick of salads and chose something else for lunch today.

You did that this weekend. No, you didn't mess anything up. Three days will not undo 2 months of hard work.

No fat is coming back. What you feel is probably a result of not eating the best food choices (veggies vs brownie, lean protein vs pizza). But go ahead and track everything, and then work on building back to a zero balance this week. Since MFP has a rolling 7-day week, if you are "over" for the week because of the past three days, then focus the next 5-6 days on eating more healthily, and also exercising to increase calories out. Ignore the scale for a few days and let the sodium intake work its way out of your body.

And then relax. You are doing fine.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    +1 to the above! You're probably feeling bloated from water retention (excess sodium perhaps) and your body isn't used having that much rich food all at once anymore. I know that I react far differently to sweets and rich foods now that I limit them in my diet!

Keep the math in mind when you start to feel this way - to gain back one pound, you would have to eat 3500 calories over maintenance. Over the course of three days, two of which included exercise for you, do you think you ate enough extra calories to undo your progress? Of course not! That's the kind of thing I have to tell myself when my time of the month rolls around and I see a 2-4lb gain on the scale. It's water weight that's tricking you, and it will go away after a few days of eating healthily again.

You're doing a great job, and we're all allowed to let go and enjoy ourselves once in a while. Just make sure you get back on track and keep doing what you've been doing!
  • Karyn1120
    Karyn1120 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon occasionally. I did it myself this past week while I was on vacation. Don't let it get you down, let it motivate you to get back on track.

Just stand up, brush yourself off and start again. You'll do great!
  • slinky_shaz
    slinky_shaz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    oh thank you all so much for your replies. you've helped me massively!
    i was feeling a bit glum about it yesterday. i do feel bigger but the part about 3500+ calories over maintence has really helped me see its not actually possible. even though I ate bad foods, i didn't over eat them. I was over on my daily calorie intake by a bit but instead of eating lots of pizza I had two slices and instead of two brownies I had just one etc.

back on it today!!!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's really good for a holiday weekend, imho. You did very well, I think. An occasional small splurge is good for you, I say. Just go back to your deficit and be glad you enjoyed yourself reasonably :) Well done!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The beauty of my fitness pal is we can have all the foods we love simply by factoring them in our daily calories. It's getting easier. But we all have those days where we just overeat, indulge and love it. Then we get back on track. Practice makes perfect.