Sweet potatoes - recipes

Options
bigizzy
bigizzy Posts: 73 Member
edited March 2016 in Recipes
Hi all, I'd like to eat more sweet potatoes. Not sure what to make apart from mash. Ideas please ?

Replies

• HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato curry is delicious. I also love to cut them up and roast/bake them with chilli, garlic and paprika. I used to make loaded sweet potato skins with cheese and bacon which are really good but not the most healthy option.
  • bigizzy
    Options
    Sweet potato curry is delicious. I also love to cut them up and roast/bake them with chilli, garlic and paprika. I used to make loaded sweet potato skins with cheese and bacon which are really good but not the most healthy option.

Sounds delicious ;)
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes roasted with onions, a little Catalina dressing and thyme mmmm
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Stuff them with feta cheese, sauteed onions and garlic or black beans, corn, quinoa, onions, peppers and Mexican spices.
  • DirtyTrickster
    DirtyTrickster Posts: 202 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I make sweet potato brownies for my breakfast/post workout snack.

0.50 cup, Organic Whole Grain Quinoa Flour
    1/2 cup
    2 eggs
    3 Egg Whites
    1/3 cup Honey
    261.00 g, Zucchini
    543.00 g, Sweet potato

1 scoop (41g), Phase 8 Vanilla
    24 grams, Mighty Nut Powdered Peanut Butter

I cook them in the little loaf pans, so they're bigger than a normal brownie. This will make roughly 20 cupcakes if you want smaller portions.

Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 292
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 5 g 7 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 59 mg 20 %
    Sodium 181 mg 8 %
    Potassium 469 mg 13 %
    Total Carbohydrate 55 g 18 %
    Dietary Fiber 13 g 53 %
    Sugars 20 g
    Protein 19 g 38 %
    Vitamin A 260 %
    Vitamin C 16 %
    Calcium 5 %
    Iron 17 %

original recipe here:
    http://fitmencook.com/post-workout-sweet-potato-brownies/
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wedges are my favourite! I grab a sweet potato, cut a portion off, weigh it for logging purposes, then cut it into wedges, toss in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and spices (whatever goes with the meal I'm cooking) then throw them on a baking tray and bake for about 30 mins. YUM. I usually make extras for a snack or lunch accompaniment the next day :)
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/curried-chicken-with-sweet-potatoes-cauliflower/
    We're having this tonight and I'm excited to try it! We also love just cutting them up and tossing them with a little olive oil and spices, and baking them to make sweet potato fries :)
  • bigizzy
    Options
    I make sweet potato brownies for my breakfast/post workout snack.

0.50 cup, Organic Whole Grain Quinoa Flour
    1/2 cup
    2 eggs
    3 Egg Whites
    1/3 cup Honey
    261.00 g, Zucchini
    543.00 g, Sweet potato

1 scoop (41g), Phase 8 Vanilla
    24 grams, Mighty Nut Powdered Peanut Butter

I cook them in the little loaf pans, so they're bigger than a normal brownie. This will make roughly 20 cupcakes if you want smaller portions.

Servings 6.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 292
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 5 g 7 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 59 mg 20 %
    Sodium 181 mg 8 %
    Potassium 469 mg 13 %
    Total Carbohydrate 55 g 18 %
    Dietary Fiber 13 g 53 %
    Sugars 20 g
    Protein 19 g 38 %
    Vitamin A 260 %
    Vitamin C 16 %
    Calcium 5 %
    Iron 17 %

original recipe here:
    http://fitmencook.com/post-workout-sweet-potato-brownies/

They look great!
  • bigizzy
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipe/curried-chicken-with-sweet-potatoes-cauliflower/
    We're having this tonight and I'm excited to try it! We also love just cutting them up and tossing them with a little olive oil and spices, and baking them to make sweet potato fries :)

I've had a similar recipe, was great, enjoy! :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like them baked and stuffed with BBQ pulled chicken or pork. Also great stuffed with sloppy joe or chili. They make a great potato salad too. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I like them baked and stuffed with BBQ pulled chicken or pork. Also great stuffed with sloppy joe or chili. They make a great potato salad too. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html

Mmm... I had just a plain ol' baked sweet potato last night with dinner that was awesome, but these sound great! I'm going to have to try those!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries. If you don't want to fry them, you can bake them as well. I also like just roasting them and adding butter and salt. Some places add cinnamon, but I prefer it without.
  • hannahroselooney
    hannahroselooney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love baked sweet potatoes with black beans and pulled pork on top. Gives you a bbq fix with out too much effort or making you feel gross afterwards.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Cube them and roast at 350F with a little olive oil and salt. This is great in/over black bean soup.

Slice into rounds or sticks and bake at the same temperature. Smoked paprika is really nice. Cumin is good too. Seasoning salt or an Italian seasoning (the kind with red pepper flakes and rosemary) is very tasty. These are good with mayo, Yumm sauce and many other dips. In the summer, I wrap in foil and cook these on an outdoor grill.

I just do the above by feel, so I don't have exact times...just check them at 10-15 minutes.

A slow roast is also yummy with baked potatoes too. I scrub them well, cut off the ends, coat with olive oil and sea salt and bake whole for 90 minutes at 350. Do a bunch of these at a time--they keep well in the fridge for as long as a week. I even like them cold...and for me, the skin is the best part! Do not peel off the skin!
  • bigizzy
    Options
    Great ideas guys, thanks :)
  • shortyforlife411
    shortyforlife411 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love to make sweet potato soup, and it's super easy to make. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes and set them aside. Put some oil in a pot and brown a little bit of chopped onion and minced garlic. Then add the sweet potatoes and cover with vegetable broth (I also use some water to cut down on how much vegetable broth I have to buy/use). Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 minutes. When they are done, they should be tender and soft, just like if you were making mashed potatoes.

Put the sweet potatoes and a little bit of the liquid from the pot in a blender or a food processor. Add more liquid until you get it to the consistency you like. It makes a lot of soup, has very few ingredients, and keeps for quite a while in the fridge!
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I made sweet potato and black bean empanadas a while ago. They were good, but the recipe makes a ton.

I also want to try this sweet potato corn cake recipe, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • phillybeare
    phillybeare Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make a sweet potato and carrot soup bit spicy love it so does my husband
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Bake at 400 with skin, with olive oil and salt, add butter or smart balance when done!
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bake at 400 with skin, with olive oil and salt, add butter or smart balance when done!

They're excellent with coconut oil too!