1 Wk Post Gallbladder Surgery

Options
Hi everyone! Just had some questions and was hoping they could advise me! Last week Tuesday I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery after being rushed to the ER at 2am! Since then, overall , I have been feeling pretty good. I still feel some tenderness in my stomach but feeling better daily. My problem right now is that my stomach feels so distended! I can't even suck it in! LOL! I was wondering if others have experienced this. Also, the past few days I have been feeling pretty depresses reading up on post-op gallbladder removal and how my weight loss will come to a halt. I have lost 30 lbs this year so far and have more to go. Have others struggled with their weight loss since having their gallbladder removed?
Thank you in advance for any info!

Replies

• reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hmmm......wondering if that is why I am struggling SOO much. I never considered it as a factor. I hope not!!! Give yourself time to recover. Things will look better when you are further out from surgery.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Not sure R, but I know you will have to pee often at first. Good luck and hope you feel better. If you tell yourself that it will make it more difficult you will mentally set yourself up for failure, so maybe it's better not to know. <just sayin'>
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    They had to move stuff around and mess with your muscles, that is why you can't suck in. Give it a few weeks and you should be back to normal. Good luck with recovery!!
  • acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In all honesty...I was diagnosed with celiac diseas and then the same week had my gallbladder removed and it seemed like I dropped 30 lbs overnight. Within 2 weeks of being on the gluten free diet and obviously feeling much better without the gallbladder my pants were fitting looser. Don't read discouraging things. It's all about how you eat and what you eat. I would avoid dairy for a few weeks though.
  • jenniferkae
    jenniferkae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed last year. I started MFP in April and this is the best I have ever done with losing weight. Good luck and I am sure things will return to normal soon.
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    When I got my gallbladder out in December it took a while for the swelling to subside and the air they had to puff in there to move organs out of the way to absorb but it should get better pretty soon. Right now don't worry about weight loss, just focus on recovering and letting your body get used to the new digestion arrangements. You should recover soon and can start focusing on diet. This is a journey for health so taking a short break to heal is part of the process. I wish you a speedy recovery!
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If it was done by laprascope, they fill your belly with air so they can see in there. It takes some time for all of it to go away.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The gallbladder is a holding reservoir for bile. Bile helps break down fats in your digestive system for easier absorption. If you eat a lot of fatty foods you may have a tummy ache, but it shouldn't slow your weight loss after you have recovered. I don't seem to have any issues and I had mine out in 95.:smile:
  • Raquel1275
    Raquel1275 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your info! I appreciated it sooo much!