Why are Vegans Evangelical?

Options
2»

Replies

  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I went vegan a few months ago for mainly health reasons. The lifestyle is still new to me so I like sharing the things I discover along the way with people who want to listen. But I don't shove it down anyone's throat.

    Obviously there are people who get too carried away and try to force the vegan lifestyle on people in all the wrong ways. It's like that with everything though. There will always be people who try to force you into doing what they do or liking what they like. Just politely tell them to back the hell off and go about your day lol.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    kensreboot wrote: »
    It's a stereotype, IMO. When I was 100% vegan I didn't do any of those things people say vegans do. Heck, I am back to 99% Vegan, but don't feel I need to mention it to anyone. People at work whom I have worked with for years will see me reading a book about being Plant Strong, or Nutrition in general, and question me about it, because at my weight, I am sure it confuses people. People will see me not eating meat and ask me. I will explain to them that I don't eat animal products and why I don't. I very rarely start a conversation with someone about it, or even mention it, which goes against what people seem to think about Vegans in general.

    Irony
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't know but i'm sitting here trying to think of puns about veganism and evangelical christiantiy.

    Sunday church services were too cheesy and the pastor was trying to milk the message too much so they wen't out on their own?

    I need more time
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    kensreboot wrote: »
    It's a stereotype, IMO. When I was 100% vegan I didn't do any of those things people say vegans do. Heck, I am back to 99% Vegan, but don't feel I need to mention it to anyone. People at work whom I have worked with for years will see me reading a book about being Plant Strong, or Nutrition in general, and question me about it, because at my weight, I am sure it confuses people. People will see me not eating meat and ask me. I will explain to them that I don't eat animal products and why I don't. I very rarely start a conversation with someone about it, or even mention it, which goes against what people seem to think about Vegans in general.

    Irony

    I just have to smile. It's the MFP thing to do.

    I get my irony from beef! Just sayin...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I think it's because people like to talk about themselves. It's not just vegans.

    Think about how many posts you see from a mom with a new baby. Or from someone who moved somewhere nice about the great place they live in now. Or from people who really like sports drinks or matcha or whatever. Or maybe from someone who believes strongly in a cause like women's rights or ending slavery.

    I think people just like to talk about what makes them happy or things they really feel strongly about. And they tend to be opinionated about it. Spread the happiness/(self proclaimed) wisdom. Even if it doesn't come across that way.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options


    I was vegan for quite some time, I never preached it, but was constantly having to explain why. I never liked talking about the way I eat, I still don't, someone somewhere will always tell you that you are wrong. Eat what you want, no one should care.
  • emmachenry279
    emmachenry279 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is ethical vegans that are most vocal. They see no difference in different species of animals. Think of the outrage when someone abuses a dog or when Cecil the lion was shot. Omnivores went ballistic, vegans scratched their heads and wondered why is it outrageous to kill dogs and lions but not pigs, chickens and cows. The reasons are tradition, societal norms and self interest. For vegans these are not valid reasons to kill any animal unnecessarily, eating plant based is sufficient for human survival so all animals killed to be eaten are killed for no acceptable reason.

    Now bear in mind that the vast majority of ethical vegans were raised to think it was ok to kill and eat animals but have learned otherwise. Most stop eating animals when they learn of the horrific cruelty involved in animal agriculture and once they stop being involved in this cruelty are open to the reality that the animals we keep as pets are no different to the animals we experiment on, use, abuse, kill and eat. They think that all they have to do is tell people that harming animals is wrong and happens everytime you choose to eat meat, eggs and dairy. Unfortunately people are invested in continuing to eat the meals they are used to and enjoy so they deny the cruelty, environmental impact, health issues and injustice. Instead they say that vegans are zealots, hippies, gay, hypocrites, hate humans, crazy etc.

    If you saw someone abusing a dog would you speak out? If you lived near a puppy mill would you campaign to close it down? If the answer is yes then you understand why vegans are vocal. You might also understand why they can be angry and frustrated because people laugh at them and joke about eating an extra steak.

    I'd recommend following Vegan Sidekick on Facebook.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It is ethical vegans that are most vocal. They see no difference in different species of animals. Think of the outrage when someone abuses a dog or when Cecil the lion was shot. Omnivores went ballistic, vegans scratched their heads and wondered why is it outrageous to kill dogs and lions but not pigs, chickens and cows. The reasons are tradition, societal norms and self interest. For vegans these are not valid reasons to kill any animal unnecessarily, eating plant based is sufficient for human survival so all animals killed to be eaten are killed for no acceptable reason.

    Now bear in mind that the vast majority of ethical vegans were raised to think it was ok to kill and eat animals but have learned otherwise. Most stop eating animals when they learn of the horrific cruelty involved in animal agriculture and once they stop being involved in this cruelty are open to the reality that the animals we keep as pets are no different to the animals we experiment on, use, abuse, kill and eat. They think that all they have to do is tell people that harming animals is wrong and happens everytime you choose to eat meat, eggs and dairy. Unfortunately people are invested in continuing to eat the meals they are used to and enjoy so they deny the cruelty, environmental impact, health issues and injustice. Instead they say that vegans are zealots, hippies, gay, hypocrites, hate humans, crazy etc.

    If you saw someone abusing a dog would you speak out? If you lived near a puppy mill would you campaign to close it down? If the answer is yes then you understand why vegans are vocal. You might also understand why they can be angry and frustrated because people laugh at them and joke about eating an extra steak.

    I'd recommend following Vegan Sidekick on Facebook.

    Some ethical vegans see no difference in different species of animals. But some ethical vegans (including myself) do see differences between different species. You don't have to think animals are all identical to think that harming any animal unnecessarily is wrong.

    Vegans don't "scratch their heads" when non-vegans are concerned with animal abuse or trophy hunting, but continue to eat meat or eggs or dairy. We understand perfectly well how different animals are valued by non-vegans. As you said, the vast majority of us were raised with the same mindset, so it isn't like we can't comprehend it. And we don't think that all we have to do is tell people that harming animals is wrong and they'll stop. We live in the world. Most of us didn't become vegan the first time we encountered the concept.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    Okay! Before a fight starts I am not trying to have a go at Vegans or attack them.

    I just want to know why they always feel the need to tell people they are Vegan and preach the lifestyle.

    I have being looking into Veganism recently just to satisfy my curiosity.

    Before I started researching it I have had several Vegan's approach me and preach their lifestyle. I know all the people on my Facebook who are Vegan because they have to remind everyone every few posts they publish.

    Now that I am researching I see even more of it where Vegan's pop up in the most random places to preach. I was on a weight lifting group and someone was talking about the best meats for protein and the vegan comes along saying meat is unethical and they should eat these plants for their protein.

    So I am reaching out to Vegans and just asking why do you feel the need to convert everyone to your lifestyle? A girl at my work eats junk all the time and while I could point her towards healthy alternatives but I am not going to preach, she knows I am healthy and active, if she wants help she will ask.

    Not trying to start a fight, I just want to understand.


    hahahaha that's why most people post threads filled with thinly veiled complaints about the perceived actions of a random group of people with beliefs different than their own, they just want to "understand"










    So True !
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's very strange that it's less socially acceptable to make someone feel a little uncomfortable than to make an animal suffer and then murder it, with terrible consequences for the environment. I don't understand how anyone who knows what happens in the livestock industry can keep eating animal products.
  • WyldRoots
    WyldRoots Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's very strange that it's less socially acceptable to make someone feel a little uncomfortable than to make an animal suffer and then murder it, with terrible consequences for the environment.
    You know there are ethical farmers and hunters, right? For eg. I know people who raise goats, treat them well, kill them, and eat them. Heck, if you buy a full goat from them, they'll teach you how to kill and butcher it yourself. There are lots of local, ethical, people you can purchase meat from.
    Everything and everyone dies. When things die, they feed other things. Death is not "bad", it's just transition. I'm going to die, you're going to die, and we're probably not going to like it, but oh well, that's life. You know what's unethical and bad for the environment? Clearing native ecosystems (and killing a ton of little creatures in the process) so you can grow soy and whatnot, for your processed fake meat crap.


  • 25brittany25
    25brittany25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well . Vegans are very rare, because it requires ALOT of disipline.. I am a vegetarian. (Not on purpose) one day I just couldn't stand the thought of meat. I had a new awakening to food. I would say it was spiritual. It isn't hard for me to reject meat, it's hard for me to eat it. Although now that I'm a vegetarian I get a few comments from Vegans trying to persuade me to stop eating dairy (because I still enjoy dairy and cheeses) I just don't feel for my body it's necessary to eliminate it.. in my mind I don't eat anything that bleeds. And I don't try to persuade anyone to be vegetarian. I do not know any other vegetarians and people look at me negativity when I say I don't eat meat.. it's tough sometimes ESPECIALLY when it comes to pizza everyone loves pepperoni. I supposed Vegans are trying to create a following to have people they can relate to. It is difficult to stand out and do things differently than others. That's with anything though, even changing a lifestyle to healthy eating and exercise people become judgemental . It's a way of life. All I know is that I really don't care to fit in. I am not here to conform to others expectations I am alive to find what's right for myself and be happy with my body. So love yourself, worry about yourself more than what others are doing. Because in the end all that's left is YOU! :)
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Dog fart.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it's very strange that it's less socially acceptable to make someone feel a little uncomfortable than to make an animal suffer and then murder it, with terrible consequences for the environment. I don't understand how anyone who knows what happens in the livestock industry can keep eating animal products.

    Because it depends where it comes from. If I was in America I would have a huge problem with eating meat unless I knew exactly where it was from. I do not support factory farming. In Australia on the other hand we do not have factory farming for cattle. They live their lives in paddocks until time to be taken to the abattoirs. Coming from a town where one of the biggest employers was an abattoirs I am once again confident that the animals are treated well until their dying moments.
    Where I live now there is a small farm run by a friend of a friend who writes a blog (I will have to find a link) where he explains how the cattle are raised and live and how they are killed humanely on sight and I am totally okay with that.
    Would I kill my own food? No, and not because I am afraid to actually kill it, I am afraid to stuff it up and make the animal suffer. In my opinion, as long as the animal is treated well in life and given a quick death I am happy to eat it. - So no to factory farming.
    I think our pig industry is getting towards factory farming which makes me sad.
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    Ignorance is bliss and so is the taste of bacon.
    Great, now I am craving bacon.

    Well . Vegans are very rare, because it requires ALOT of disipline.. I am a vegetarian. (Not on purpose) one day I just couldn't stand the thought of meat. I had a new awakening to food. I would say it was spiritual. It isn't hard for me to reject meat, it's hard for me to eat it. Although now that I'm a vegetarian I get a few comments from Vegans trying to persuade me to stop eating dairy (because I still enjoy dairy and cheeses) I just don't feel for my body it's necessary to eliminate it.. in my mind I don't eat anything that bleeds. And I don't try to persuade anyone to be vegetarian. I do not know any other vegetarians and people look at me negativity when I say I don't eat meat.. it's tough sometimes ESPECIALLY when it comes to pizza everyone loves pepperoni. I supposed Vegans are trying to create a following to have people they can relate to. It is difficult to stand out and do things differently than others. That's with anything though, even changing a lifestyle to healthy eating and exercise people become judgemental . It's a way of life. All I know is that I really don't care to fit in. I am not here to conform to others expectations I am alive to find what's right for myself and be happy with my body. So love yourself, worry about yourself more than what others are doing. Because in the end all that's left is YOU! :)

    I like you a lot.


    I am also loving the sly Vegan comments that are being slipped in "Rotting meat" in guts and all that. Haha. Doesn't tend to turn people off meat.

    I actually found a conversation today on a forum where Vegans are saying it's fine to feed cats a vegan diet :/ Now that is disturbing. Sorry, off topic.
  • LindzMiche
    LindzMiche Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Medilia wrote: »
    Because it depends where it comes from. If I was in America I would have a huge problem with eating meat unless I knew exactly where it was from. I do not support factory farming.

    As an American.. that is exactly why I am *mostly* vegan. Easier to quit eating it than source it responsibly. Sad state of affairs.

    The less I eat it.. less I want it. It started with Meatless Monday.. and now it's.. meat/animal products MAYBE a few times a year.

    And as for this whole topic.. I feel like I hear more people call out Vegans for being preachy than I do Vegans actually call out the omnivores Obviously I started noticing this only when I changed my ways of eating. I do feel in the minority now because of that. But hey.. it is what it is.

    We can joke about it too:
    5030626_orig.jpg


  • Lizziebertrim
    Lizziebertrim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We eat three times a day at least. It's bound to come up. The only time I get preachy is when people get rude about it towards me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Non_Stop wrote: »
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    kensreboot wrote: »
    It's a stereotype, IMO. When I was 100% vegan I didn't do any of those things people say vegans do. Heck, I am back to 99% Vegan, but don't feel I need to mention it to anyone. People at work whom I have worked with for years will see me reading a book about being Plant Strong, or Nutrition in general, and question me about it, because at my weight, I am sure it confuses people. People will see me not eating meat and ask me. I will explain to them that I don't eat animal products and why I don't. I very rarely start a conversation with someone about it, or even mention it, which goes against what people seem to think about Vegans in general.

    Irony

    I just have to smile. It's the MFP thing to do.

    I get my irony from beef! Just sayin...

    lol it's funny because vegans are anemic

    weird how do i manage to hit my iron macro everyday with out trying then?

    mfp must be lying
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    WyldRoots wrote: »
    Honestly I think it's very strange that it's less socially acceptable to make someone feel a little uncomfortable than to make an animal suffer and then murder it, with terrible consequences for the environment.
    You know there are ethical farmers and hunters, right? For eg. I know people who raise goats, treat them well, kill them, and eat them. Heck, if you buy a full goat from them, they'll teach you how to kill and butcher it yourself. There are lots of local, ethical, people you can purchase meat from.
    Everything and everyone dies. When things die, they feed other things. Death is not "bad", it's just transition. I'm going to die, you're going to die, and we're probably not going to like it, but oh well, that's life. You know what's unethical and bad for the environment? Clearing native ecosystems (and killing a ton of little creatures in the process) so you can grow soy and whatnot, for your processed fake meat crap.


    wow i was unaware there was an ethical way to stab another in the neck

    so are you kool with someone ethically murdering you or your loved ones then? that cool? i mean it must be its ethical right ;)

    p.s majority of soy product grown in those native ecosystem clearings you are talking about is used as feed for farm animals not "fake meat products for preachy vegans"