Protein question.

Options
Can someone help me with something?
So I started insanity on January 25th & been doing it for a month. Well now I'm in the gym. Keeping up with my cardio BUT also doing strength work out.
I'm not trying to get bulky. Trying to continue losing weight but getting toned cause from the weight I lost so far, there's saggyness lol.
My thing is I do plan my meals days in advance but sometimes I don't meet my protein requirements by the end of the day.
Will protein bars or drinks help me with my weight loss? Or help me add weight?
I know I will be building muscle just cause of the strength workout. But I don't want to get "big" lol.
Can someone help me balance this out? Or just help lol.
Much appreciated :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    protein bars and shakes are just protein supplements...they have nothing to do with either losing or gaining weight...they're just a supplement. You lose weight when you are consuming less energy than you expend...you gain weight when you are consuming more energy than you expend...it has zip to do with protein or supplements.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So I started insanity on January 25th & been doing it for a month. Well now I'm in the gym. Keeping up with my cardio BUT also doing strength work out.
    I'm not trying to get bulky. Trying to continue losing weight but getting toned cause from the weight I lost so far, there's saggyness lol.
    My thing is I do plan my meals days in advance but sometimes I don't meet my protein requirements by the end of the day.
    I know I will be building muscle just cause of the strength workout. But I don't want to get "big" lol.

Calories dictate how much you weigh. Protein and weight training will help you keep your muscle. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. If you weight train and eat adequate protein while in a mild calorie deficit the weight loss will be mostly fat and you won't lose much muscle. This will make you look more "toned" once you reach your goal weight.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You have much to learn. I recommend you get and read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Thinner-Leaner-Stronger-Building-Ultimate/dp/1479291285
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    protein bars and shakes are just protein supplements...they have nothing to do with either losing or gaining weight...they're just a supplement. You lose weight when you are consuming less energy than you expend...you gain weight when you are consuming more energy than you expend...it has zip to do with protein or supplements.

I know it won't make me loss weight?
    I'm not sure how to word it. Lol.
  • Georgia422016
    Georgia422016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    its really hard for women to get big because we simply dont have the hormones, so dont worry to much about that. as for protein its used in the body to help repair damaged muscles, which is why people who lift weights eat more of it, its best to get protein from natural sources such as meat and nuts, but when this isnt suitable because of cost or convenience then protein suppliments can be used. (people often use them within the 30 minuet window after their workout to get in the glycogen window and help with optimum repair) However be careful with which ones you choose as they often contain lots of sugar which isnt too good. as for gaining weight it wont effect that at all as long as your still keeping within your maintainence calorie requirement for the day, hope this helped (p.s if your looking to get more toned, you should do weights 2-3 times a week and cardio a maximum of twice, otherwise you may end up burning off all that muscle you build in the cardio session once your body fat gets lower),
    hope this helped, feel free to message me
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options

Calories dictate how much you weigh. Protein and weight training will help you keep your muscle. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight. If you weight train and eat adequate protein while in a mild calorie deficit the weight loss will be mostly fat and you won't lose much muscle. This will make you look more "toned" once you reach your goal weight.

I have a 1,500 calorie intake. I don't eat back everything I burned. I watch my Marcos also. I'm not really sure how to word this lol. I guess maybe is too much protein going to make me gain weight? I'd like to be toned. I already lost 10 lbs. sorry that I'm being a little confusing cause I'm confusing myself lol

• galgenstrick
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have a 1,500 calorie intake. I don't eat back everything I burned. I watch my Marcos also. I'm not really sure how to word this lol. I guess maybe is too much protein going to make me gain weight? I'd like to be toned. I already lost 10 lbs. sorry that I'm being a little confusing cause I'm confusing myself lol

Weight gain is entirely dependent on how many calories you eat vs how many you burn. If you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight and it has nothing to do with what you eat (besides a couple negligible factors like the thermic effect of food). So no, eating more protein but staying at 1500 calories per day will not make you lose more or less weight than you currently are. It will however help with your body composition, you will look more "toned" if you eat high protein and lift weights while in a calorie deficit, this is because you will lose mostly fat instead of fat + muscle when the scale goes down.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, if you need to get your protein up, bars or shakes can help (or just more chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.). Getting your protein in doesn't directly affect weight loss, but it can help you feel fuller and you need protein to help build/maintain muscle.

Excess calories make you gain weight, macros are for health and can affect satiety. For me, extra protein helps me to feel full on less calories, but that is personal, it doesn't work for everyone.

You will not get bulky regardless. It is tough for women to build muscle, and women who get muscular work super hard and eat a very specific diet.

I hope that makes sense!
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    That does make sense! So if I stay within my calorie intake, I basically should be fine, right? If I burned 2,000 calories, I won't be eating back the 2,000. Isn't it like 25% or something like that you eat back?
  • kimny72
    Options
    That does make sense! So if I stay within my calorie intake, I basically should be fine, right? If I burned 2,000 calories, I won't be eating back the 2,000. Isn't it like 25% or something like that you eat back?

You should only eat back a portion of your exercise calorie burn, not your entire daily burn. Are you saying you burn 2,000 with your workout, or 2,000 all day? I don't even think athletes burn 2,000 cals when they work out. I'm not the fittest person, but my exercise calories are usually @ 150-300 cals.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You should only eat back a portion of your exercise calorie burn, not your entire daily burn. Are you saying you burn 2,000 with your workout, or 2,000 all day? I don't even think athletes burn 2,000 cals when they work out. I'm not the fittest person, but my exercise calories are usually @ 150-300 cals.

A day. Lol.
    Usually 300 when working out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • galgenstrick
    Options

A day. Lol.

Have you been doing this for a while? Are you loosing weight at the rate you expect? If so, keep doing exactly what you're doing, but switch out some carbs or fats for protein.
  • kimny72
    Options

A day. Lol.

Phew! :) Yeah, try eating back @ one half of that 300. If you are losing faster than expected, then you can eat more.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options

A day. Lol.

Have you been doing this for a while? Are you loosing weight at the rate you expect? If so, keep doing exactly what you're doing, but switch out some carbs or fats for protein.

The insanity I've done for a month. The weight strength training, this last week.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

A day. Lol.

The insanity I've done for a month. The weight strength training, this last week.

And you are losing weight at the rate you expect? If so, then you're doing everything right with the calories in - calories out side of things. Then all you need to do is add in more protein and remove enough fat or carbs to keep your calories the same. Just make sure you don't go below ~0.3g fat per pound of body weight per day, which is a bit too low for good health.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're not going to build any muscle on a calorie deficit. Best you can hope to do is preserve it while you lose fat, that's the whole point of weight training in a calorie deficit. If you want to build muscle, you can bulk once you're done cutting and gain weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You won't gain muscle from eating in a deficit so you have nothing to worry about getting bulky.

You've already touched on what you need to do which is retain muscle. You do that by a progressive resistance program while eating enough protein. Protein will not add weight in a deficit. The only thing that adds weight is eating in a surplus.

If you have problems reaching your protein goals you can suppliment, though there are plenty of real food options that could fill your protein macros and leave you more full while in deficit. Egg whites, fish, beef jerky, chicken breastfeeding come to mind.

You should be shooting for .8 grams of protein per body weight lb.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm still new to this & was just making sure I was doing it properly. I appreciate the help! (: