Impact of Stress on Weight Loss

Options
I'm wondering what impact major stress has on successful weight loss. I find myself under extreme stress sometimes, being a single mom with two kids very close in age, working full time, never getting enough sleep....

My kids fight with each other 24/7 ... some days I just want to run away!!!

Do you all think being in that state of "stressed out" slows the weight loss process?

Replies

• cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    yep. i think cortisol (?) is the culprit... it's a hormone released when stressed.
  • MarceloFitness
    Options
    It is an extreme change both physically and psychologically, cortisol is a hormone released from the top of the kidneys and leaves the person in a state of stress, there are treatments with your doctor to resolve this problem, sometimes, just do something different in the diet and you can feel better. I understand that when we are without our piece of cake with chocolate icing and want, feel stressed, as we are changing our habits and the brain should understand that: one day we will eat, calm down.
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Last year I was working a job that I spent 60 hours of extremely stressful hours a week at. I quit and lost about 10 pounds within the next month without changing anything. That was when I decided to do more and try to continue the weight loss. So stress is definitely an issue with weight loss.
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, as others have mentioned.. cortisol adds to the big spare tire around my belly. However, the good news is that regular exercise helps with both the stress and the weight loss. You just have to make the time for it - you are totally worth it...
  • LayawayQueen
    LayawayQueen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Stress is a big part of all our lives however sometimes we seem to have an extra dose of it. When that happens, I feel I look for some way of feeling better and for me when the stress levels are really high I have a tendency to reach for that extra carbohydrate until I begin to feel better. Now breaking the habit and doing something else for myself and then feeling better is the challenge. If I can get a few successful days of treating my stress in a healthier way than overeating, I begin to feel better. It is hard though because like everyone else I have had years of feeding my face and then I feel better (although it is only for a short while) but oh do I feel better. It really comes down to retraining your brain to handle stressful situations in a different way. Not easy but when I look around I see a few people who have been able to shed their belly fat and keep it off. So it can be done! Guess I just have to try to stay more focused and keep putting my health first. As someone close to me, once said, "If the Momma is not happy, then nobody is happy"!:happy: :happy:
  • CoolMoonGoddess
    Options
    thanks everyone for your answers!!!

we just got back from a week long vacation... that seemed to help a lot. i'm trying really hard not to let anything "get to me"! :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I am currently out of work (single mom) and under a great deal of stress because of that. I've lost 21 lbs since early April, so I'm not sure my weight loss has been affected.

I think it might have more to do with how one reacts to stress. If one stress eats, then weight loss might be more difficult than one who goes for a 3 mile jog to deal with the stress. I'm sure there are more factors in play than just this simplistic idea, but I can tell you that for me personally I haven't had any issues.