Good machines to help with achieve a flat stomach?

Options
In the gym, what are the best machines/types of weights to use to get a flat stomach? My gym doesn't have an elliptical, it has a lower body arc trainer, a rower, bike, treadmill, and others and I don't know which ones to use to achieve a flat stomach because I feel like I'm only burning fat on my lower body you know? Or am I being silly? Any tips? Thanks x

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Diet is a huge factor.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To achieve a flat stomach simply takes reducing body fat and building muscle. You cant burn fat from a targeted location. Genetics plays a role in where it comes off first but you cant do anything about it. Eat healthy, reduce calories to shed fat and developing stronger abs will help them show a little sooner but not much.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to get rid of fat, no exercise spot reduces. If you're looking to build your core, the rower will build amazing abs and back muscles, along with upper and lower body.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Diet, Diet, Diet....everyone has a six pack....depends on how much of a layer is covering. With Diet, Cardio and determination, you will see those abs come out...
  • ghood
    ghood Posts: 1
    Options
    Diet is pretty much the only factor. You can't target fat loss on your body. Best way to achieve a flat stomach is a total body workout.
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    I don't know which machines to use, but I read that you can't really target fat. The body burns fat from wherever it wants and, unfortunately, the stomach is usually the last to go.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    To achieve a flat stomach simply takes reducing body fat and building muscle. You cant burn fat from a targeted location. Genetics plays a role in where it comes off first but you cant do anything about it. Eat healthy, reduce calories to shed fat and developing stronger abs will help them show a little sooner but not much.

^^^^^THIS!
  • trouserchili
    Options
    Diet, Diet, Diet....everyone has a six pack....depends on how much of a layer is covering. With Diet, Cardio and determination, you will see those abs come out...

^^^This, but in the meantime...

Vacuums, baby! Imagine a belt of muscle tightening and strengthening around your midsection.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

You can tighten up (sometimes by several inches) without losing an ounce of weight. I know this from experience. Plus there are the added benefits of a stronger back and more of a V shape on the upper body.

And no equipment needed.
  • ohletmebeskinny
    Options

^^^This, but in the meantime...

Vacuums, baby! Imagine a belt of muscle tightening and strengthening around your midsection.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

You can tighten up (sometimes by several inches) without losing an ounce of weight. I know this from experience. Plus there are the added benefits of a stronger back and more of a V shape on the upper body.

And no equipment needed.

that's pretty sweet! i'll try it and see from there, thank you!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Diet is a huge factor.

Diet is the only factor.

There is no such thing as spot fat removal...and all the exercise in the world will only remove fat evenly from your body. Since people tend to store fat on their belly...it's usually the last to go.

Also...cardio helps...but cardio in the traditional steady state format can actually increase belly fat.

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Anyhow...regardless of the type of exercise you choose...eat properly...and once you start getting down to around 20% bodyfat...you'll be seeing a flat tummy =D.

Cris
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As everyone is saying... Diet is first and foremost. It is 90% of the work required to get a flat stomach. Reduce your sugar intake. Cardio and varied styles of crunches will help you do the finishing touches. But start with cardio and always do the elliptical and swimming (if possible). Rarely eat sugars or fruits after 6 pm. Wish you the best and let me know how you do.... I mean it
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. You gotta get your body fat down.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Look up doing some HIIT workouts for the treadmill or elliptical (if you need low impact) instead of just a 30 minute same speed
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Look up doing some HIIT workouts for the treadmill or elliptical (if you need low impact) instead of just a 30 minute same speed

This is awesome =D.