Vegetables and Fruits.....do you log them?

Options
KAYRRIE
KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
I'm logging my veggies and fruits but just think to myself, what the heck is the purpose. I didn't get fat off eating vegetables so I don't think I will gain weight from eating however many I want. So, should I still continue to log them or just enjoy them without counting them? What do you guys do?

Replies

• Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I actually count them but I see your point ..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They still have calories...your body is going to count them along with everything else. I eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 calories per day in fruit and veg...not sure why I wouldn't want to account for those calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I log all of my fruits and veggies. They have calories that can add up throughout the day and because I treat my log as something of a science experiment. Having accurate logs lets me go back and see what's changed when I get off track.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I absolutely count them...I did get fat while eating veggies (and everything else in the house)! I see it like this, vegetables and fruit make up about 75% of my daily input, I'd only be kidding myself if I didn't log them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My body counts the calories in fruits and vegetables, so I log them.

Some days I can eat as much as 400-500 calories in fruits and vegetables, so it would be so easy to blow my goals if I didn't count those calories. Also, it can be helpful to know how much fiber, carbohydrates, and protein they're contributing to my day (as well as potassium, Vitamin A and C).
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I absolutely log them. They add up to 500- 750 calories on my average day. My calorie goal is 1300. If I ate that and didn't count my fruit and veggies id be eating 1800-2050 calories a day, cutting my deficit in half.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Count them. I'll have close to 250 calories by the end of the day.

That's the difference of me losing a half pound a week... that I wouldn't lose if I didn't log them!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course - if you're counting calories they definitely should be logged! Programs like WW give you a much lower calorie base to account for the fact you'll be eating several hundred calories in fruits and veggies a day. If you're eating your calorie goal plus an additional 500 in veggies/fruits - that's going to show as a gain on the scale not a loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I'm logging, I like my logs to be accurate, so I can figure out what my daily burn is, and so if I struggle I can look at how things are different to understand it. I also use the logs as a way of making sure I am eating as I should (getting in a good variety of vegetables, for example). So, yeah, I absolutely log them.

It's also easy to do so, since putting them on the scale when chopping takes no extra time. I do think estimating stuff like a cup of spinach is fine, though, since the calories are so low.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Unanimous! lol. Ok, ok, I understand. I'll def continue to log them and make it an important part of my nutrition.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I consume it log it.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING. Even the multi-vitamin I take. Fruit can have a lot of natural sugar so I'd definitely log that.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. And yes, you can get fat off of eating fruits and vegetables if you're consuming more than you're burning. Just because they're fruits and veggies doesn't mean they have negative calories.

If you don't log them you could be underestimating what you're eating.
  • hellolem
    hellolem Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes of course I do! You could eat 500+ calories in fruit a veg a day (I do) and that 500 calories extra could make me put on weight if I didn't log.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Of course I log them. The only things I don't log are water and black coffee/tea.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Yes, you should log them... log everything. Not only do they have calories, but fiber which is one of your macros. I log everything, including the vitamins and supplements I take. It's good to look back and see where you've been and how you can refine.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. And yes, you can get fat off of eating fruits and vegetables if you're consuming more than you're burning. Just because they're fruits and veggies doesn't mean they have negative calories.

If you don't log them you could be underestimating what you're eating.

^^ This exactly. I eat low carb so I have to log everything. I don't eat fruits for that reason and there are a significant amount of carbs in veggies (which I eat a lot of). If I'm throwing a mushroom on a salad, sometimes I don't log that. But, when I eat a bag of broccoli, I absolutely log that because there's 15 carbs in that thing!!! :smiley:
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Whether it has 5 calories or 500 calories, it goes into my food log.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there were people who didn't count them. If it goes in my mouth, it goes on the books. Except gum...because I splurge like that.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yes - absolutely I log them. I ate 300 calories of fruits and vegetables yesterday - and that's pretty typical for me. 300 extra calories is totally enough to cause weight gain!