Compliments

Options
missbp
missbp Posts: 601 Member
The last few weeks, I have been hearing them fairly frequently. I usually get "Wow! Michelle . . . you look great! You've lost weight. What have you been doing?" To which I follow up with, "Well, just counting calories in and out and trying to be more active.

The truth really is, I feel like I have changed my life completely. I cringe at thoughts of my old eating habits. I laugh at myself when I think about how I used to try to camouflage my problem areas. I used to plan outings and trips with my family around good places to eat. Now, the activities take precedence and food is an after thought. I always knew I was mentally strong, but it really didn't matter to me if I was physically strong. Now it does. Now I want to kick *kitten* and take names. :tongue: The counting calories thing is the truth, but it seems like nothing in comparison to the flip that has been switched within. It seems a little bit like ... bulls**t.

So, in many ways, I feel a little awkward when I hear the compliments. I wonder if I will be more inclined to open up about the real transformation that HAS and IS happening, when I reach my targeted goal weight. I am a little more then halfway there.

How about the rest of you? How to you react to the compliments?

Michelle

Replies

• kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    The weird thing is, I haven't really been getting them. I mean, yeah, my husband tells me I look good and he's proud of me, my kids mention it, but I guess I hoped other people (friends, neighbors...) would notice and say something. I know we don't do this so other people will praise us, but, let's admit it, it's nice, right? I've wondered, do people not want to say anything because they are afraid maybe it sounds like "Wow, you look great! You were really fat!" ?

I agree though, this has changed the way I think and eat, too. I find myself automatically making better choices, not having to think about it anymore. Hooray for us, whether anyone else cheers or not! :happy:
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've wondered, do people not want to say anything because they are afraid maybe it sounds like "Wow, you look great! You were really fat!" ?

This has occurred to me as well, when people do say something. I think, did they think I was really fat before? They are often shocked when I tell them my goal is to lose 50lbs. I've had a few say, "Do you REALLY have that much to lose?" Um . . . Yeah!!!

Michelle
  • Natalie_Bee
    Options
    I havent gotten many either, outside f family but I'm only down 10 lbs. However I can totally relate to what you said about cringing at your old eating habits, and planning around food. I think some days I easily ate 6000 in a day, not because I was starving, just because I wasn't aware of calories back then...all that mattered was the taste. Now what matters is if it is good for me. I love that you love the new you, and I am well on my way. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Happy for ya!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear that you are receiving not just great recognition of your achievements, but your entire life seems to have changed for the better!

I have never been that overweight, but I often receive compliments, especially from strangers.

I feel good receiving compliments, and often say "Thank you!" and smile. I often compliments other people as well though (but only when I meant it). I feel it is really important to recognize people when they are doing a good job. :)