I Done Mucked Up (and it's okay!)

Options
I had a good breakfast, a snack a couple hours afterward, then the lunch time munchies hit!
I was an hour away from getting home and hungry, so what did I do?

Went to Mickky D's and had a (non-diet) soda to stave off the hunger. But it didn't stop there!

I stopped at Winco (which is actually only ten minutes from home) and got half a pound of jojos and 2 donuts and scarfed down the jojos on the way home, and had a coffee with my donuts once I was home.

Lessons learned?
  • Getting hungry is one of the enemies
  • Not staying hydrated is one of the enemies (it makes you hungry!)
  • Not having a lunch or at least a second snack packed is a bad idea

Anyone else have an experience like this? What did you learn from it?

Also, can anyone reassure me, I logically KNOW I'm not a gluttonous, disgusting loser, but I still feel like one.

Replies

• BusySuzy
    BusySuzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, those are the lessons. I have to be sure I have planned for these moments in advance or they get away from me. So, I try to keep healthy snacks and meals ready always. It's a process! Be kind to yourself and don't let this discourage you. What the heck are jojos by the way?
  • alp_19
    alp_19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're definitely right about things being okay! I totally get the feeling though. You know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things but it feels awful (physically and emotionally).

I experience it a lot when I put off eating purposely to feel accomplished. But then by the time I eat I'm starving and I'm feeling like I deserve to indulge (it's funny what you convince yourself of when you're hungry). When in reality I should be eating the same amount, just later in the day. Now I'm sure to avoid waiting so long. And just having the option of having a snack is helpful for me mentally. Because then I know that's my go to if I get hungry. It doesn't become a mental game of "your body needs food, you should stop and buy some" vs. "no no that's unhealthy!" The first voice tends to drown out the second. So I pack carrots or an apple generally. Or a 100-cal granola bar or pack of almonds is a good as a non-perishable emergency snack to keep in the car or in your bag.

Anyway, I assure you, you are certainly not gluttonous or disgusting. You're human and biologically trained to eat when hungry. And you're learning to roll with that instinct and adapt to it rather than beat yourself up :)
  • Samrny
    Samrny Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, those are the lessons. I have to be sure I have planned for these moments in advance or they get away from me. So, I try to keep healthy snacks and meals ready always. It's a process! Be kind to yourself and don't let this discourage you. What the heck are jojos by the way?

It's what we call potato wedges in oregon ;)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I learn lessons like this all the time, although it usually takes more than once for it to sink in.

For example, I also tend to get super hungry on my way home. Used to stop for taco bell or a hamburger on my way home, in secret, and then make dinner at home too. To combat this I bring a snack with me now. I can eat it just before I leave or in the car if I need to.

I bet you that soda triggered the cravings, so if you must next time stop for water!!

You're entitled to your feelings, I know I have plenty of food guilt. But the take away here is that you've identified the problems and have solutions in mind. Tomorrow is a new day where you don't have to make the same errors.
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This hits me between 2 and 5 PM. I would hit the vending machine and eat the most unhealthiest crap out of it. Now I keep ice cold water, sunflower seeds in the shell and gum on hand. I also have a post it note on my desk and at home that says, "Don't you DARE QUIT!" "What do you have to lose but fat!?" All this helps me and if you did not go over your calorie count goal for the day you should be good. I know I can not buy junk because I will eat it all in one sitting. Just ask those 4 boxes of girl scout cookies I ate last month the same day I got them :o, but I just got right back in there and started again. But looks like you learned.