eating late

Options
My boyfriend is starting a new shift at his job where he won't be home until 8:30 or 9 in the evening. We usually have dinner together but not that late! What is everyone's thoughts on late dinners? I'm usually in bed by 10pm so I'm afraid eating dinner at 8:30 or 9 might mess with my weight loss...

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    What time of day you eat is irrelevant to weight loss, so don't worry on that account. :)
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I always read eating late was bad for the metabolism, so I'm glad that's not true:)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Some people find that eating too close to bedtime causes indigestion/sleep issues. Just keep that in mind. If you find you aren't sleeping as well/have a stomach ache, heartburn, etc, then eating earlier will be better for you, or you may have to avoid certain foods so late at night. A carb-heavy meal means I have to wait at least 2 hours before I consider sleeping, so I tend to eat no later than 7pm so I can be in bed by 10.

It will have zero effect on your weight loss though :)

~Lyssa
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I always read eating late was bad for the metabolism, so I'm glad that's not true:)

If it's on the internet, it must be true.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I work until 8 pm 3 nights of the week so I come home and eat dinner. Sometimes I even will eat like 600 calories at 9 pm. Hasn't hindered my weight loss!
  • nic041mccoy
    nic041mccoy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When in France a late dinner was the norm. As late as 8 or 9. And everyone ate real butter, creams and rich sauces. I love the book French Women don't get Fat. The French have small portions and several courses in one meal.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I habitually eat dinner between 9-10 PM. I've lost 92 pounds.

If eating late were enough to make you fat, the entire country of Spain would be morbidly obese. :)
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Eating late has actually helped me with my diet. I would get heart burn if I didn't eat for so long, and I would also be more likely to wake up during the night.

I've found something high in protein or with a whole fat in it to be helpful (greek yogurt with some protein powder is a good mix).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    In many parts of the world, it is common to have your largest meal in the afternoon and eat a light dinner late in the evening.
  • wedgeang
    wedgeang Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont feel eating late is good for the metabolism at all, it hinders my weight loss, so my last meal is 7pm, and then im fine and continue to lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is starting a new shift at his job where he won't be home until 8:30 or 9 in the evening. We usually have dinner together but not that late! What is everyone's thoughts on late dinners? I'm usually in bed by 10pm so I'm afraid eating dinner at 8:30 or 9 might mess with my weight loss...

It's irrelevant to weight loss...if I need 3000 calories to maintain and I eat 2500 calories per day, I'm going to lose about 1 Lb per week...logically, why would the timing of the meal matter...I need 3000 calories per day period to maintain my weight...it doesn't matter what time of day I eat them. If you're in a deficit of energy, you are in a deficit of energy...it's simple arithmetic.

I eat dinner pretty much every night somewhere between 8:30 and 9 PM...I easily lost 40 Lbs and have easily maintained that going on three years.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    wedgeang wrote: »
    I dont feel eating late is good for the metabolism at all, it hinders my weight loss, so my last meal is 7pm, and then im fine and continue to lose weight.

When you eat neither hinders nor helps your metabolism. So your weight loss is attributable to you eating less calories than you burn each day. :)