What do you do with calories left over??

Options
Just wondering as I quite often, almost daily have 300-400 calories left that I don't eat do these add up so for eg on Saturday or any day if I ate slightly over my 1500cal would it even out because I'm always under anyway??

Replies

• no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's good to check out your weekly totals as well as daily. If you're 300-400 a day short, don't force yourself to eat them because it'll even out during the week if you go over on another day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    IMHO thinking in weeks is the way to go. I would assume (I didn't count) that I was under during week days,and slightly over on fridays and saturdays). If you think that's you, I wouldn't fret it. I'd think big, week, picture. But be sure you're eating enough to fuel your lifestyle/workouts during the week.

ps: I've been maintaining for about 14 or 15 years. I still go by the (slightly) under week days/(a bit) over week end style approach. Generally.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat them within the week
  • diane_croft
    diane_croft Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just added the total left over calories from mon-sun last week and there were 2100 for the week that I didn't eat, is it bad to have too many left over calories?? Should I be trying to eat a bit more??
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Is that calories added by exercise? What is your net daily goal?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 2300 and my exercise adds about 150 calories on weekdays and sometimes 500 on weekends. I don't even want to eat that much. I'm comfortable with a 1200-1300 calorie daily intake. I could adjust my MFP goal to be more aggressive. As it is, my aggressively attacking my modest goal is leaving 9000 calories a week unconsumed. Last Saturday I lost control and snacked like my old self. When I totaled the damage, I didn't even reach my MFP calorie goal for the day. This approach allows me to have a dinner out each week.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just wondering as I quite often, almost daily have 300-400 calories left that I don't eat do these add up so for eg on Saturday or any day if I ate slightly over my 1500cal would it even out because I'm always under anyway??

Donate them to charity. :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Well, your body doesn't "reset" or anything every 24 hours...your energy consumption and expenditure is a continuum.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I've learned to add an afternoon snack (string cheese, fiber one cookie) to add calories. If I'm still short late, maybe a small bowl of cereal. At the very least, work to eat at minimum your non exercise calories.
  • diane_croft
    diane_croft Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Those leftovers are just from eating no excercise
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I check my macros and make sure I'm meeting my dietary requirements, and if my numbers line up I leave them alone and just know that I have a little buffer if I go over later in the week at some point. If my macros are short, I'll eat a snack to bulk up my numbers. Today, it looks like I'm going to be a bit short on protein and carbs, so I'll have snack later.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I consider my daily calorie allotment as a target. I will weigh out some almonds at the end of the day to reach my target, if I am short for the day. For weekend flexibility I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories every day unless I am sick and that has been maybe twice in over a year.
    Maybe eat more calorie dense foods. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1