Cannot eat heavy meals anymore

Options
Good morning everyone. Thoroughly enjoying My Fitness Pal and have had good success in it. Very easy as its all on my phone and iPad. A quick question though. We had a wonderful evening with friends yesterday with an Indian Takeaway for food which I logged despite it being well over the calorie limit!!! What I am finding though is that I really cannot eat a heavy meal anymore at all if I do decide to have a rare blow out. Are any other Fitness Pal people finding this. Feeling so utterly sluggish today ugh!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am the same. It is a good deterrent once you train yourself to stop and consider whether the meal will cause you day after regrets.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I went out to eat at red lobster two Sundays ago. Needless to say the meal used all my calories for the day and I was full the rest of day. I felt completely stuffed though, and absolutely hated that feeling. I feel like I am used to small meals throughout the day now, one big meal and I feel bloated and gross.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    From the title I wasn't sure if you were bragging or complaining, but it's neither.

I can't do large, heavy meals anymore either. Thanksgiving last year was a mess because my kids thought I was ill. I used to love the feeling of being stuffed, now it's just painful and unpleasant. I am sooo thankful for that!

I've also noticed that I'm not as hungry as often, even though I am eating smaller portions. I'm thankful for that, too.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went to a very nice Italian restaurant for Restaurant Week in January. I'd been using MFP for about 1.5 months at that point. It was a 3 course meal, with a pasta starter, entree, and dessert (vanilla panna cotta >:) ). I saved calories all week for this meal and ate every bite happily until I was about halfway through my dessert. I started to feel very nauseous. Still, the dessert was so tasty I couldn't not eat it, so I finished it.

Bad idea.

The walk home was miserable -- I felt like I was going to explode with every step. Told my husband to just lay me down and roll me home :p . By the time we reached our street I thought I was going to have to pull a college freshman and yak in someone's bushes. I've only ever felt that kind of urgency when I've had a stomach bug. Barely made it upstairs and to the bathroom, and promptly unloaded a $50 meal and half of a very nice bottle of cab into our toilet. :( My husband came to check on me and just laughed and said that was the most expensive vomit he's ever seen. I felt much better afterwards, but I was sort of blown away, because I have never thrown up from investing too much food before in my life, and it was a small amount of food compared to my old appetite. My husband has been doing MFP for about a month now and his appetite has shrunk considerably too. We've made a deal to share now on the rare occasion that we go out to eat!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've personally never enjoyed overly stuffing myself...even holiday meals and whatnot, I'm a good plate of food and call it a day kind of guy and always have been. I've never been one for multiple course meals and whatnot...I've personally never understood appetizers as an actual starter before a meal for example...it's just never made any sense to me and it just spoils the actual meal.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same. smaller portions might help or when u order food get a takeout container and put half away right off the bat. i find with trigger foods (pizza) i eat and my mind thinks i want more so i wait and eventually i feel full and realize if i would have had another slice it woulr have been too much. its like your mind and body have to catch up to each other. lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that, but I always have my best workouts the day after a big meal. Obviously I've had days when I ate way too much (Christmas or Thanksgiving, typically) to the point of feeling ill, but that would have to be a LOT of calories to get there, and I'm totally fine the next morning (except that one day after Christmas, but it's because I ate 9000 calories in 2 days).
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed ar eduction in the amount of food it takes for me to feel comfortably full. I've never liked esting to the point of discomfort but I did have a much larger capacity in the past. IE I am still getting accustomed to knowing that a 6 inch sub is really going to be plenty when I used to still be hungry after eating a 12 inch.

It'S a good thing, and sure does help the grocery bill.
  • laurenjennifer1987mfp
    Options
    I've never liked the feeling over being overly full and have never been able to eat a 3 course meal, it's too much food. That said, my appetite has regulated itself a fair bit even in 2 weeks. I had cakes and nibbly things yesterday and stopped a good few bites before my 'normal' full capacity. Today we had fish and chips (Mothers Day, so my mother in law chose the food and location) and I got about half way through. I was slightly borderline between full / slightly over full, I was also ravenous before we started. Normally I would demolish the whole lot and still have room for ice cream. Well, I probably could have eaten ice-cream, I have a pudding pouch and can normally eat a dessert... regardless of how much mains I eat.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    For a New Years Eve treat we went to our favorite steak house and ordered our old usual- Prime rib dinner for two.
    We got half way into our meal and realized we were full, too full for dessert. We came home with enough food in boxes for two days worth of lunches!
    We just can't splurge like we used to. I've also noticed that sugary treats that I would have happily gobbled up, like an ice cream sundae with whipped cream and hot fudge, will leave me feeling sick for hours afterwards.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I keep hearing that, but I always have my best workouts the day after a big meal. Obviously I've had days when I ate way too much (Christmas or Thanksgiving, typically) to the point of feeling ill, but that would have to be a LOT of calories to get there, and I'm totally fine the next morning (except that one day after Christmas, but it's because I ate 9000 calories in 2 days).

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day don't count. They're like annual free-for-all days. ;)
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Same here. If I have a big meal I feel bloated for ages afterwards and it makes me regret eating it in the first place
  • wonderchu
    wonderchu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nope, this doesn't happen to me. I can still eat huge and heavy meals, no problem. Kind of wish I couldn't; maybe then they wouldn't be so apealing!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Feeling full is one of the worst feelings to me. I get lethargic, sad, have crazy indigestion, and I don't want to do anything.
  • janegeer95
    janegeer95 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aww. Thanks everyone for answering. No I definitely wasn't bragging or complaining but I really am noticing it now. I like my diet meals and a gigantic salad now. Just can't cope anymore with large heavy meals. Thank you all for your help.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    wonderchu wrote: »
    Nope, this doesn't happen to me. I can still eat huge and heavy meals, no problem. Kind of wish I couldn't; maybe then they wouldn't be so apealing!

Yep, me too! I can still easily eat everything put in front of me, I just don't do it anymore (unless it's a special occasion maybe).

• Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    I heard someone explain this once by saying that your stomach expands and also shrinks over time depending on how much you eat. So yes, since eating less (due to logging my calories and snacking less), now I literally cannot eat as much as I used to in one meal, and feel fuller faster.
  • ybee1991
    ybee1991 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    wonderchu wrote: »

Same.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The positive benefit of dieting and getting accustomed to smaller portions. I can't eat large meals anymore either I feel lethargic and sluggish.