I haven't broken a sweat yet

Options
I'm a 26 year old 420lb man . Ive been going to the gym every other night for the past 3 weeks. It doesnt matter how long im on the treadmill I cant seem to break a sweat. Ive worked my way up and have been doing 2-2.5 miles at a 2 incline and a speed of 2.5. Ive got a bad knee and am afraid to go any faster. My resting heart rate is 90-95 and during my time on the treadmill its 135-140. I keep myself very hydrated. I drink 12-15 bottles of water a day. Any suggestions on how to make myself sweat?

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do everything I can not to sweat, I usually turn on every fan nearby when I'm at the gym. Why do you want to so badly?

I'm about 4 weeks into a running program and I'd been going on long walks for a while before that, and I've only just recently really begun to sweat enough that it's noticeable and have to wipe it off. I think it's because it's hotter outside now and I'm working harder than I had been before. That's just my very limited experience though, so I'm sure someone else can give you actual advice.
  • steedbutt
    steedbutt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are other exercises you could do like swimming that would have less impact on your knee. Also, I recommend punching a heavy bag or some other boxing related activity...it is a sport that isn't so bad on your knees but really gets your blood pumping and will definitely make you sweat. Make sure you get the ok from your doctor first though before you progress further than walking when it comes to what kind of exercise you are performing.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Some people just don't sweat much.
    I have a friend who does high intensity cardio and she never breaks a sweat even though everyone else is drenched (she works hard). Genetics.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have friend who teaches spin classes and she never breaks a sweat. Some people just don't sweat. Have you had a check up with your doctor lately?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Why exactly do you want to sweat?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...g 2-2.5 miles at a 2 incline and a speed of 2.5.

That sounds like a gentle walk
    Any suggestions on how to make myself sweat?

Sweat is not an indicator of progress, it's an indicator of temperature. As upthread, why would you want to?

But I'd say once you start working then it should come
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Sweat is not an indicator of progress, it's an indicator of temperature. As upthread, why would you want to?

Did you mean to say 'start working'? He started 3 weeks ago.

OP, your walking probably isn't vigorous enough to sweat since you are in shape enough for it, but with a bum knee and your weight, it's certainly the way to go! Unless you can find a pool, yeah. Pool exercise is excellent for those of us with joint issues.

But walking is great anyway. Sweating isn't important, like folks said. I rarely sweat from even vigorous exercise but then pour buckets just being out in our summer heat, lol.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    walk at that speed and incline for 1 minute. Decrease incline and up speed to quite fast for 30 seconds repeat a few times. It should make you sweat
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

For an obese person it's not. Trust me. When I first started, 2.5 mph left me gasping for breath. It also burns loads of calories simply by the function of carrying lots of weight.

OP, 135-140 is an acceptable heart rate for a workout. Depending on your personal stats it's smack in the middle of intensity. If you do want to get it higher, just increase the incline a bit more and you won't have to worry about increasing speed. Go by your heart rate and how hard the workout feels for you in general, not by your sweat level. It's genetic. I wish I had your problem... I sweat from the simplest and easiest workouts, especially in the summer.
  • Powerlifting_Viking
    Powerlifting_Viking Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also, Just because you arent sweating to the point of "dripping sweat" your body is still sweating, its just evaporating quickly
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    some people dont sweat.

its not an indication of losing weight in any way.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to sweat?

Also many places have a HVAC system designed to keep people comfortable hence less sweat.