Anyone eat what they want and manage to lose weight?

Options
Says it all in the title really but I know so many people that literally eat what they want and still manage to stay at a decent weight and not put any on. Is it possible to not diet and still indulge in what you want with an exercise plan put in place? X

Replies

• juxtapose13
    juxtapose13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i would love to know that too ....i suppose if you can stay within your range it should work
    i have an issue with self control if i have a piece of chocolate i will end up eating the entire thing and normally my count is wayy higher that it should be after that ...
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want as long as it fits into my total calories for the day.

Gotta have control when you eat fatty foods and only eat small portions.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Yep. Not that I don't ever forgo something or eat less than I might like, but I've not cut anything out and I certainly don't feel deprived. Learning the art of not eating mindlessly/anxiously/pointlessly.
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Riff1970 says above. Over 60 pounds down with just that principle.
  • steelbreeze
    steelbreeze Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Haven't got to maintenance stage yet, but have reliably lost 1-2lbs every week and am still having chocolate occasionally. My tip? I get a small selection box of wrapped chocolates (green and blacks) - each bar is 15g and about 100 cals. If I have enough cals at the end of the day (usually on a gym day), that's my treat. Having them tucked away in the 'fridge stops me craving it and going to the local store where it'd be a proper size bar, which I would then have to eat completely. So yes, I am eating what I want - within reason - and not beating myself up the week after a holiday (lots of eating out). It's a journey, not a destination! :)

Some more tips here.
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want, anything you want, everyday for the rest of your life. How bout that?
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do eat what I want and lose weight, but what I eat I within my calorie goals to lose weight.
    If I eat at maintenance I will stay the same if I eat over I will gain. Simples
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used MFP's diary for 18 months I think (check my profile for exact timings). Nowadays I don't bother but make sure I'm active every day which means some kind of sport for an hour or more, or weight work. If I have time, I do both.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Says it all in the title really but I know so many people that literally eat what they want and still manage to stay at a decent weight and not put any on. Is it possible to not diet and still indulge in what you want with an exercise plan put in place? X

Food types - hell yes

Amounts - hell no

Look none of us got here by doing the right thing - we all have to adjust

Do you have to cut out specific foods or food groups - hell to the no

Do you have to cut out excess calories - yup

How do you do that? Up to you

For me I adjusted slowly what I ate - always with an eye on calories

Basically if you can't afford it out of your calories you can't have it

If you want it you find a way to adjust the other calories you're eating to eat it

the trade off is going hungry at another time - or changing another meal to a lower calorie hit

The trick is always hitting your nutritional requirements and eye on the calorie purse

if you've got the calories you can spend them - if you don't you can't borrow them from the future - you can save some to spend later in the week though

not rocket science once you think of it as a calorie purse
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Sure. I eat what I want and I lost weight (45 pounds) that way and keep it off (16 months now) that way. In fact, I couldn't have stuck to my eating plan if it wasn't made up on food I like. That was one of the main reasons I failed in the past. Don't "diet". Your diet is just the way you eat. You need to eat a little bit less to lose weight, but a dramatic all-in approach will most likely fail.

What you want will adapt somewhat to your habits. My tastebuds appreciate the more subtle tones of real food now, while before I "needed" the rush of junk food. I still have cravings for junk, but they are managable. I plan my meals, look forward to them, eat more mindfully and enjoy my food so enourmously more than I did before.

I allow myself more fat, and I think that makes my food taste better, it makes it easier to get in more vegetables, and my overall improved diet keeps me more satisfied for the appropriate amount of calories.

I don't keep any hyperpalatable foods in the house, and I shop guerrilla style. That helps a lot too. I couldn't rely on willpower alone.

I don't have an exercise plan. I just do normal everyday activity. Walk a bit more often than before that's about it.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The key is that we eat what we want, in moderation. No amount of exercise is going to fix a bad diet if you continuously eat above your calorie goal.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can't outtrain a bad diet.

You can eat what you want as long as you stay under your calorie goal (losing weight) or close to your calorie goal (maintaining weight).
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Read this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731

He lost 32 pounds in 135 days eating crap. He maintained a deficit. There is a detailed post on the Nutrition Debate forum on MFP called something like "Still skeptical about CICO" he has posted there. Its awesome.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Read this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731

He lost 32 pounds in 135 days eating crap. He maintained a deficit. There is a detailed post on the Nutrition Debate forum on MFP called something like "Still skeptical about CICO" he has posted there. Its awesome.

I hate that guy. It's all genetics(sarcasm). :)

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, just not the amounts I want.
    18511156.png
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Read this:

I hate that guy. It's all genetics(sarcasm). :)

But they're great genetics.
    t045kob3imai.gif
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hell no I can't, I mean in theory, I could. I am one of those fit fat guys with all their fat around their belly. I used to think who cares if I'm 250, I'm in better shape then most thin people and I get to eat as much as I want. Then I read one of those studies saying you're worse off then people with fat on their legs and arms etc and now I'm cutting the fat right off me. It never made sense to me that you could be better off with the same fat I have plus more on top of it in other areas but I am not messing around when it comes to possible early death. Gonna play it safe and just drop the weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sure for the first 2ish years on MFP I ate an entire chocolate bar every night...even now I eat what I want but stay in goal...

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    zerojunk wrote: »
    Hell no I can't, I mean in theory, I could. I am one of those fit fat guys with all their fat around their belly. I used to think who cares if I'm 250, I'm in better shape then most thin people and I get to eat as much as I want. Then I read one of those studies saying you're worse off then people with fat on their legs and arms etc and now I'm cutting the fat right off me. It never made sense to me that you could be better off with the same fat I have plus more on top of it in other areas but I am not messing around when it comes to possible early death. Gonna play it safe and just drop the weight.

Viseral fat is not a good thing but that doesn't mean you can't eat what you want you just have to eat it in moderation and stay in goal.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    zerojunk wrote: »

Viseral fat is not a good thing but that doesn't mean you can't eat what you want you just have to eat it in moderation and stay in goal.

I understand the theory, but I can't do it without huge risk of going above my goal. Gonna go with ol faithful and not break my no junk programming lol.